Michigan-Detroit

Stupid Postman!

So I took my Save the Dates to the post office today to get them hand canceled.  I had already read that some places will give you a hard time about it because they don't want to bother.  Anyway, I had barely asked the question and the guy was like, "NOBODY does that anymore."  Since our wedding is going to be 20's style at Henry Ford's ballroom, I used vintage stamps that are 20's themed and others that have Henry Ford on them.  I realize that is very OCD but I was really excited to find them.  The guy glanced at the stack in my hand and said in a snotty voice, "I see what you're trying to do here, you probably got those from some kind of collection, but next time you throw a party, can you just be normal?"  He proceeded to tell me that all my envelopes were just going to come back to me in the mail because I wrote our return address on the back flap instead of the front left hand corner, so the machine wouldn't be able to read them (??? What does that have to do with reading the address of the destination?)  I've never heard of this in my life.  Then he asked if I wanted to give them to him or "throw them in the bin".. I just took them and walked out.

Has anyone sent their mail yet and know of a post office that will let you hand cancel?  And stay away from West Bloomfield... geeze a simple "no" would have sufficed, guy....

Thanks for letting me vent!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
std.JPG 539.4K

Re: Stupid Postman!

• Whaaaat?! That is absolutely ridiculous! Now I'm stressed! I will be taking my invitations at the end of the month to the Birmingham post office - they're usually nice...fingers crossed!

Btw - sorry you had to deal with such an awful person!
  • Wow what a douche! And your envelopes are super cute.

• He's full of crap. Our save the dates and invitations had the return address on the back. I took the invitations to the post office just to make sure I was good...and it was fine. Not one returned. That person was clearly a jerk.
  • Lolo8383 said:

Wow what a douche! And your envelopes are super cute.

Indeed.

This is a twofold problem. Quite often the post office takes the stance that you are not really their customer, and therefore they have no reason to even be polite to you, let alone do something extra for you. They know you have no choice but to use them, I mean you're not going to pay to FedEx those things, so what's the incentive to be nice?

Secondly, there's a huge push within the postal system to automate everything as much as possible because it saves them money, and improves delivery times. They really don't want to hand cancel things, and are probably supposed to discourage you from asking for it.

Having said that, I once had a tour of a major bulk mail processing facility, and actually saw the people who process hand canceled pieces. Yes they do it. The trick is not to lose your cool and get snippy with them. No matter how rude they are, continue to be nice or you will get nowhere.

You might even pretend to be a wedding planner and blame the bride for insisting on this. Seriously, I work for a company that does bulk mailings and whenever we need the post office to do something for us we just vilify the customer. "Yeah I'm sorry, I know this is a pain in the ass, but our client is really pushing for this. Could you please, please help us out?" It works. :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's good advice.  I was really nice... also offered to do the stamping myself.  Anyway, I thought I'd try stopping in at the post office next to my work in a different town.  I was kind of nervous to ask at that point, but the man there was like, "sure, no problem!  It will take some time but I'll get it done!"  Total opposite.  So to the D bag in West Bloomfield, it's not true that "NOBODY" does it anymore... :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @carliealissa what PO did you end up going to? I'm mailing my invites at the end of the month and I'm worried I'll have issues. Thanks! :)
  • How incredibly rude. I would report him. We had many issues with our mail carrier (not receiving mail, left our invitations in the rain when they were to be signed for, saying we signed when we didn't). I finally called customer service and got a call back from the local office and they were extremely nice. Not a single problem since. 

Our address was on the back flap and not a single one was returned. I went to the Royal Oak post office first thing on a Saturday morning and he allowed me and my FI to hand cancel them ourselves with no issues at all. 

Anniversary

imagebam.com
  • I probably would have asked for the postmaster at that point......I hate to say it but sometimes you have to threaten to go over their heads.
  • Thanks.  Yeah, I didn't even get his name.  Thought of it and regretted it immediately afterward.  Lesson learned, at least it will all be fine and forgotten if the STD's get to their destinations OK!

@elle - Wayne.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Your envelopes are super cute and he was a super d bag.

Are your envelopes pearl envelopes? I'm doing pearl paper (diy). Mind sharing where you got them?
  • Thank you!  They are Stardream Opal.  I honestly don't remember where I got them because I'm buying papers from all over the place, but they are sold from several different internet websites so you can google price shop them.  I know they also come in different sizes and either the triangle or straight flap.

Ooh, how do you DIY pearl paper??

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm using linen paper and bought some pearl mist spray. So far they look great! It's not working as well on my thin paper so I might have to do another route for my programs, but very happy with my invitations!
  • I took my invites to the Birmingham PO to have them hand cancelled and they wouldn't do it. Went to Royal Oak and they did them without issue :)
  • Good to know- it's so weird how differently they react!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards