Honeymoon Discussions

Has anyone been to Copenhagen?

Can anyone share their experiences? What are the "must see"?

Re: Has anyone been to Copenhagen?

• I went when I was 14 years old and just walked around following my parents. Sorry I don't remember anything specific or helpful but I do remember that it was beautiful and I really liked it!

• I was there briefly in 2007. Definitely check out Nyhavn, the Rosenborg Castle if you like to look at crown jewels, and the Marmorkirken if you like architecture. I have to say that it didn't strike me as a particularly happening city, but that might have just been the time I was there.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    We were there in July 2012.  It is a beautiful city, but very, very expensive. It is not a good place to go shopping!  Americans get price shock when they realize how much it costs!  All the Scandinavian countries are like this, and it is because of their tax structure.  You are paying about 25% taxes on everything.  The best place to buy Danish porcelain souvenirs is eBay!  (Since 2011, they are made in Thailand, anyway.  Danish factory closed.)
    Once you get over this, Copenhagen is one of the cleanest, safest cities you will ever see, and it is easy to walk around.  You need several days to take in the museums.  The National Museum has archeological artifacts from the stone age, Viking age, middle ages.  Wonderful!  The Rosenborg Castle holds antiques, the Danish Crown jewels, and many other exhibits.  The park grounds of Rosenborg are beautiful, with the famous statue of Hans Christian Andersen looking over the frolicking families.  You will also want to see the clothing exhibit at Amelienborg Palace, which is where the Danish royal family lives.  You need a good guide book to Copenhagen.  I recommend the Rick Steves book.  Beware of bicycles!  They can run you down!
    I highly recommend staying at the Best Western City Hotel.  It is centrally located on a quiet street, and they serve a fantastic breakfast (included).  Don't expect air conditioning - you won't find it in any except the modern, expensive places outside the city center.

Note: One good way to sample Scandinavia is on a cruise of the Baltic.  We sailed on Princess cruises, after staying in Copenhagen for four days.  Best cruise ever, and the food on the ship was paid for! (A steak dinner for two in Copenhagen can cost $250)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @CMGragain Thanks so much! Wonderful information! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards