Registry and Gift Forum

Registry questions

First off, let me state that we in no way feel entitled to gifts. I'm just asking the question so that I can make things as easy as possible for those who want to give them to us.

FI has told me that his family/friends don't buy wedding gifts. Their family hasn't had many weddings in the US (they're Mexican-American) and I've been told that they're treated more like big parties than gift-giving occasions. I'm not sure if this is true, if he's been oblivious to gift-giving culture, if it's because his family has a tendency to PPDs, or if it's simply because he's spent most of his life in a small, close-knit community without a lot of money. Regardless, no big deal.

We're expecting about 200 guests. We've got about 110 on my side, 90 on his. On his side, only about half are family/from the same background.

My family gives non-cash gifts. We're older and both had established households when we met so we don't really need anything. My aunt just offered to throw me a shower which, while we don't need anything, I'm super-excited about. We'll be using this period as an opportunity to upgrade what we have. We have a small home and simply don't have the space for a lot more stuff.

How much do we realistically need to register for? Do we only need to register for enough from my side? Do I need to find enough for his side too?

Also, while I'm at it, what's my timeline for registering? We're getting married mid-October so I'm assuming that I need to do it before the shower invitations go out. Is that fair?

This is all much harder than I expected!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Registry questions

• You should only register for what you honestly want/need.  If that results in a small registry that is okay (but since you are having a shower I would make sure there were plenty of options at a variety of prices for the shower guests at a minimum).  If your registry is bought out you can add items or trust your guests to purchase something they thing you would like.

Your  registry should be more or less finalized by the time the shower invitations go out, but you can modify it as often as you like.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Thank you! I'm seeing lots of advice online about needing a certain number of gifts at each price range and am realizing that's just too much for us to come up with!
  • Thank you! I'm seeing lots of advice online about needing a certain number of gifts at each price range and am realizing that's just too much for us to come up with!

***STUCK IN THE BOX***

Most of that "advice" comes from the stores wanting more money out of your guests pockets.  :)  You may be surprised once you start looking what you could use without getting extravagant.  New bedding, new towels, pots and pans that are a higher quality, etc. 

Regardless, there is nothing rude about a smaller registry no matter how many guests you are inviting.  Most people will get the hint that you would rather have money and that still leaves a selection of items for those that prefer physical gifts no matter what.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • That makes sense!

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards