Connecticut

Lighthouse Point Park Bathrooms & Facilities?

Hi CT Knotties,
We are considering a few venues and would make to make our decision ASAP as everything is booking up in a flash. One venue at the head of our list was the Carousel at Lighthouse Point Park, but I have a few concerns, mainly with the bathrooms and the bridal suite (ranger's station?).
We had our tour in the aftermath of one of the thousand blizzards we have this winter, and nothing was plowed, so it was hard enough getting to the Carousel; I didn't even bother asking Sabrina to see the bathrooms, where the bridal suite will be, and where the caterers usually set up. But now we are getting concerned about these things. Having a Jewish wedding, we need a place for the ketubah signing, yichud and such--is the ranger's station appropriate for these things? We are also unclear about where the caterers set up; do they bring a tent which they would also have to provide, and where are they usually stationed? Where do people have their beach ceremonies if it rains?
Most importantly, are the bathrooms awful? How far are the bathrooms from the building, and is there a well paved path, etc.? My fiance's grandmother is disabled and accessibility is a concern. I also read in online reviews that the public bathrooms there are atrocious. Any info/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Re: Lighthouse Point Park Bathrooms & Facilities?

• I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but since you asked... yes, the bathroom facilities are atrocious.  I was a guest there this past summer and found several things a total turn off.  First, during the ceremony and cocktail hour, there were tons of random beach-goers walking around, dripping wet, wandering through the paved areas between the beach/carousel/light house.  I don't think there's any way to prevent this, as it's a public space.  But there is NO privacy for your event.  (And of course all evening long they're peeking in the windows to see the wedding going on)  Also, there were tons of biting bugs on the beach and I got nasty bug bites on my legs during the ceremony (several ladies complained about how terrible it was).  The bathrooms were gross; they'd obviously been used all day long and trash cans were overflowing, floors soaking wet, some toilets were all clogged up *gag.*  But they aren't far from the main building and there are no stairs to climb.

I can't comment on the bridal suite or where the caterers set up, sorry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mandafly84, serious gratitude for your honest candor. I had never been there before our winter wonderland aka blizzard hell tour so it was nearly impossible to get a grasp on the park beyond the carousel. We wanted a casual wedding, but I am concerned that the public bathroom may not be the "casual" we had in mind. A guy in an online review of the park said he once found a huge dump in the middle of the bathroom floor and I was like UM RED FLAG.
    We are having a Spring wedding so I would hope the bikini-clad peepers and hungry mosquitoes would not be an issue, but the public bathrooms have been voiced as a potential deal-breaker by future in-laws.
    LPP Brides, I know that not everyone cares about using a public bathroom, and if we were having a big party with friends we wouldn't give a flying fock--we've rented port-a-potties for house parties in the past without complaints--but when the future MIL voices her strong opposition to her husband and father potentially getting the public beach-goers' pee on their suit pants I have to listen. We actually discussed renting very high-end portable restrooms or attendants for the event, but the venue has already demanded a lot of additional costs lacking additional rooms, kitchens, furnishings, glassware/flatware/linens, etc. All said and done, the high-end venue we were considering has proven cheaper even with a hefty cost per head.
    Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings with this post, I know the Carousel has its distinct unique charm and most brides are very happy with their decision...feel free to put up a fight if you feel otherwise!
  • @lebeers you don't have to defend not choosing lhpp...no one is questioning you and i'm sure no one's feelings are hurt!  

i am getting married there and can't wait.  they have 3 weddings/week at least in season, so they are are not wanting for business.  it's definitely a unique experience, and i like that you can make it what you want.  if you are not in love with the unique nature of this venue, I can see why all the work it requires would not be appealing.

if you are looking for a "high end venue" then I am not sure why you were even looking at the park.  it is rustic, unique, charming, memorable...but not high end.  we are spending a fortune on rentals, various vendors, catering, etc. to ensure our guests have both a top-notch and memorable experience.

i attended a spring wedding there (mine is spring too) and it was amazing.  i thought the bathrooms were fine. glad you found a venue!

• lebeers said:
    @mandafly84, serious gratitude for your honest candor. I had never been there before our winter wonderland aka blizzard hell tour so it was nearly impossible to get a grasp on the park beyond the carousel. We wanted a casual wedding, but I am concerned that the public bathroom may not be the "casual" we had in mind. A guy in an online review of the park said he once found a huge dump in the middle of the bathroom floor and I was like UM RED FLAG.
    We are having a Spring wedding so I would hope the bikini-clad peepers and hungry mosquitoes would not be an issue, but the public bathrooms have been voiced as a potential deal-breaker by future in-laws.
    LPP Brides, I know that not everyone cares about using a public bathroom, and if we were having a big party with friends we wouldn't give a flying fock--we've rented port-a-potties for house parties in the past without complaints--but when the future MIL voices her strong opposition to her husband and father potentially getting the public beach-goers' pee on their suit pants I have to listen. We actually discussed renting very high-end portable restrooms or attendants for the event, but the venue has already demanded a lot of additional costs lacking additional rooms, kitchens, furnishings, glassware/flatware/linens, etc. All said and done, the high-end venue we were considering has proven cheaper even with a hefty cost per head.
    Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings with this post, I know the Carousel has its distinct unique charm and most brides are very happy with their decision...feel free to put up a fight if you feel otherwise!
    The bolded made me laugh, only because that would be so unbelievably horrifying it's comedic.

The wedding I went to was in July.  I definitely think you'd be safe from the dripping wet gawkers and thirsty mosquitoes in the spring! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LlikotdesserdLlikotdesserd member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    Yes- the PUBLIC bathrooms are what you would expect at a beach. However, the ranger station has been/is in the middle of being renovated into what is actually quite a nice space, including a/c and TWO indoor, handicapped bathrooms that can be used for the bridal party and/or wedding guests. We will be using those two bathrooms for wedding guests mainly, i doubt we'll need the public bathrooms. Also, Sabrina told me that you can hire a bathroom attendant that they would provide to keep general public out of the public bathrooms, and keep it clean for wedding guests if we'd like
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards