Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invitation Wording

We are having a family-only ceremony followed by a huge reception for all of our friends.  I already did the reception invitations, but I would like opinions on the wording.  I am not sure if I should include that we are having a private ceremony beforehand or not.

Here is what they currently say: Jessi and Ben invite you to join them with joyous hearts and dancin' shoes as they celebrate their marriage.
Here is the other option I was thinking: Jessi and Ben invite you to join them with joyous hearts and dancin' shoes as they celebrate their marriage after a private ceremony.

Any other suggestions?
Also, please tell me if you see a grammatical error that I need to fix!

My other dilemma is what to put on the insert for family inviting them to the ceremony.  The whole wedding and reception are going to be casual and laid-back.  We are following tradition by the bare minimum, so we don't want it to be too formal.

I was thinking something along the lines of: Mom and Dad, along with Mom and Dad, request your presence at the marriage ceremony of their children Jessi and Ben.  
Another option would be something like: Please join us for our marriage ceremony preceding the reception.
And then of course we would add location and time info.

Any suggestions are helpful!!

Thanks!

Re: Invitation Wording

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    This is the traditional wording for what you are planning.  The bride and groom should not directly invite the guests to their own wedding.  The indirect form, which does not specify the host, is used, instead.

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the wedding reception of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Day, date
    time o'clock
    Venue
    Address
    City, State (No zip)

(Insert)

Your presence is requested at the marriage ceremony.
    Time o'clock
    Venue

I gather you don't want tthe traditional wording but you can use this for a model to construct your wording.  The wedding or reception invitation is a simple not from the hosts (You?) to the guests, telling them clearly who what, when, and where - not why or how.  The word "celebration is very vague.  You don't want your guests to misunderstand and think that you are inviting them to a vow renewal, or to the ceremony.  You need to be very clear.  The dancing information isn't necessary.  Don't clutter up the invitation with unnecessary things.
    You are inviting people to your wedding reception.  Use those words.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards