Snarky Brides

Help make me laugh over this?

At 20, my FI met a girl and married her after dating a few months in a quick courthouse ceremony. No one supported the marriage but they had a kid a year or so later. Then separated right afterwards. Their divorce went on for years as they battled over custody of their son. Their son lives with us and FI and his ex only speak when necessary. We're in our mid/late 30's and this will be my first marriage. We discover yet another idiot move that his ex made yesterday and found ourselves going through divorce paperwork....

Then he finds it...

We're getting married on the same date that he married his ex. October 11th.

We ran many dates past his family and no one caught it. STDs have gone out, deposits have been booked with numerous vendors, travel has been booked by some of the family. We can't change our date.

I'm not naturally superstitious or anything like that but I can't help but feel weird about this. When I told my sister/MOH, her initial instinct was to laugh. When I told another BM, she gasped then faked a laugh. Another friend - one who was at the wedding- was shocked as well.

So please tell me that this is funny! Tell me that it doesn't mean anything bad! Make me laugh over this!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Help make me laugh over this?

• LOL it is funny! There are always bad things that happen on certain dates, there's no way of getting around it. I would just completely rid it from my mind. Y'all didn't catch it so the date wasn't important...until now. Now the date will stand for something happy. Enjoy it! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would look at it like this, the date has such little significance to your FI that he forgot about it from before.   Clearly the day meant nothing to him so it should mean nothing to you.     I have friends that married on 9/11 and 12/7.  

This.  He didn't even remember.  Have a glass of wine, keep that in mind, and know that everything will be fine and it means nothing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto PPs -- the date was clearly so insignificant to him and his family that no one mentioned or remembered it.

DH's parents got married on Halloween. We got married Oct. 13. It didn't even occur to him that it was the same month and the same numbers in the day, only reversed, until AFTER we had paid the venue deposit.

13 is my favourite number -- always has been -- and 10 is his. I wasn't going to worry that bad juju from his parents' horrible marriage (they're still married, they're just horrible people) would affect us.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • If he forgot about it, I'd say it can't possibly mean bad luck for you guys! Clearly she means so little to him that he can't even be bothered to remember marrying her.
    eyeroll
  • You ladies are awesome! I needed a reality check!

I'm not naturally someone who would get hung up on these types of things but I couldn't shake this one. But you're all clearly right!

And that's why this is my favorite board!
  • I know 9/11 but what is 12/7??

• mimiphin said:
    I know 9/11 but what is 12/7??
    Pearl Harbor Day.
    eyeroll
  • Just think of it as you are over-riding his bad marriage with a new, good one on that date!  

• edandyedandy member
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, my first thought was that he didn't even remember. Your wedding and marriage is going to be in another universe to the first one, the difference will be that big!
  • You are all awesome! Thank you!
  • That's too funny he didn't remember the date! 
  • I would look at it like this, the date has such little significance to your FI that he forgot about it from before.   Clearly the day meant nothing to him so it should mean nothing to you.     I have friends that married on 9/11 and 12/7.  

FI's good friend got married on 9/11 because the venue gave them a big discount for taking that date.
  • FI and I's dating "anniversary" is the same day that him and his ex-wife were married on (weird coincidence). It also happens to be St. Patrick's Day so we go out and get drunk to celebrate and make sure we have a great time to celebrate us :)
  • You said you aren't superstitious.  What bad thing could it possibly mean?  It's meaningless- just another day.  Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's just a date. People book dates with no significance at all (because that's when their dream venue was available, or a VIP guest could attend, etc.). To give you an idea of how not significant most dates are, my date was picked to be after my brother's birthday and before the school year started so that my many relatives who are teachers could attend. So I think I would just accept that it's a date you booked, for whatever reason.  Annoying, yes, but clearly the date wasn't significant to him if he couldn't even remember it, so I think making it your anniversary is what gives it meaning, not what else happened in either picking the date, or what previously happened on that date.
  • Maybe it's fate.  It's possible that he was supposed to get married on that date, but he messed up and married the wrong girl at the wrong time.  Now he has a second chance with the right woman :).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards