Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Undergarments for a strapless ball gown

I have my first fitting next week. I was instructed to bring the undergarments I intend to wear. I haven't yet thought about what those will be. 

This is the dress:

It has a natural waist, so I don't think shape wear is necessary. But I'm not sure what to do for the top. As you see, it goes down a little in the back, so a bra might show? Should I get cups sewn in, do an all-in-one sort of number, or just a bra and panties?

Re: Undergarments for a strapless ball gown

• Options
    You could do a low back bra or bustier.  Example: http://www.herroom.com/jezebel-30533-caress-too-bustier-bra.shtml
    Depending on how much support you need, getting cups sewn into your dress could work well, too.
  • Options
    I have no suggestions, just wanted to say how absolutely beautiful that dress is!
  • Options
    doeydo said:
    You could do a low back bra or bustier.  Example: http://www.herroom.com/jezebel-30533-caress-too-bustier-bra.shtml
    Depending on how much support you need, getting cups sewn into your dress could work well, too.
    I have pretty average sized boobs (36C or 34D depending on brand) and the dress is pretty form fitting... but I do think I'd rather err on the side of more support opposed to less. 
  • Options

That dress is gorgous!!!!  If I were you I would look on google for local bra stores.  If you go to the specialty stores you can find all sorts of great products that aren't your traditional "Over the shoulder boulder holders." 

I would strongly encourage you (or anyone) to try on a bunch of things and see if anything supports you the way you want to be supported without showing.  Maybe bring a good friend who can check how far down the back of your dress goes and ensure your new bra won't show.  That's my plan.

It may be a little pricey to get a good undergarment but its your wedding, you should look and feel great!

• Options
    I agree with doeydo about a low back bra or bustier, but I would also try the dress without one and some cups pinned into place to see how that feels as well.

Gorgeous dress by the way.

• Options
    Thank you, I'm pretty smitten with the dress myself :)

I think I'll go to Nordstrom or similar this weekend and pick up a couple options, then when I'm in the dress on Monday I can pick a favorite! My one concern with a bustier is that it may push my back skin/fat up and over the back of the dress. No thank you!
  • Options

Love the dress.

But i would hold off on buying a strapless bra until after your first fitting. You might be able to go braless or have cups sown in. I would see what the seamstress recommends first.

Remember to bring whatever shoes you are going to wear.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am also doing a strapless ballgown.  I plan to have the cups sewn in because mine is a corset back and tying that up tight should help with the support.  I can't tell in the picture if yours is a corset or a zip-up...

Are you wearing anything on the bottom?  Like a hoop slip or crinoline?  
  • Options
    The dress is zip-up and no- no hoop or crinoline. Just the dress. 

• Options
    Beautiful gown!  Since you've got the bra thing down - I will say I was looking at 'thigh slimmers' or even unpadded cycling shorts to avoid my thighs rubbing together (I do not trust 'chub rub' as much as I should).

Anniversary
  • Options
    **update** Once I got the dress out I realized it had a brasier built in. I guess I forgot about that. We tried cups, but I didn't like them. I ended up buying a nubra- an adhesive, backless, strapless bra. I feel like it holds me in/up better than the cups did, and it's comfortable. Fingers crossed that it stays on! That said, it doesn't really have anywhere to go. 

And yes, after 30 minutes in the dress I realized that I definitely need something on my thighs. Maybe even a pocket fan strapped to my leg. My gosh it gets hot in there!
  • Options
    beware that you can sweat off a sticky bra, if it has a built in bra, you should be fine with just that. Also you will want a slip. It keeps the dress from bunching between your legs when you walk and allows the dress to lay perfectly all night. 
  • Options
    I would go with sewn in cups instead of adding another layer under the dress.
  • Options
    I would go with sewn in cups instead of adding another layer under the dress.
    I didn't like the cups. I didn't feel like they did anything.

The dress already has a number of layers, I don't think a slip is really necessary?? Should I instead consider pantyhose?
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat as you (unsure how to support my chest with a strapless gown) Here's my gown: http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/dress.aspx?style=JSM1307LU 

I'm planning on wearing my Underarmor yoga pants, the "heat gear" kind that end just below the knee. I wore them during the Trying-Ons and really helped with the heat under the skirt. 

I have a fitting Thursday, I'm going to try the Jezebel Caress Too Bustier Bra 30533 that SBmini suggested. 
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat as you (unsure how to support my chest with a strapless gown) Here's my gown: http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/dress.aspx?style=JSM1307LU 

I'm planning on wearing my Underarmor yoga pants, the "heat gear" kind that end just below the knee. I wore them during the Trying-Ons and really helped with the heat under the skirt. 

I have a fitting Thursday, I'm going to try the Jezebel Caress Too Bustier Bra 30533 that SBmini suggested. 
    That is my dream dress!! I love it so much! Is it easy to move around in??
  • Options
    hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited March 2014
    i have morilee 3098 i bought a long line bra for mine but the cups in the bra were funny i needed the next size down which the place i went to did not have she was going to sew in cups for me so it would fit me better but when i went to the first try on when the dress came in long line did not work for my dress. so even if we had ordered the bra in the right cup size it still would not have worked the bra was popping up out of the dress. all i ended up needing was a strapless bra with clear straps i have thick lace straps on my dress.

and i got some spanx but the ones with the shorts so i dont have to wear panty hose.

my first official fitting is the first week of April i have my shoes my panties and my bra
  • Options
    Yes! Its amazing, I didn't think I would love my dress so much :) I've spent many a Saturday night chilling in my dress watching tv already :) Very easy to be in. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards