Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

What do you do if guests start relationships after the guest list is finalized?

MollyandDMollyandD member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
I'm finally almost done with the guest list. I have addresses from most people, and am waiting on a few to respond or to tell me after they move. Due to our venue size, we have a limited number we can invite. We had to really think about it to get the guest list down to the 165 people allowed (including the bridal party). Several people on the guest list are single. Some recently single, while others have been for a while. We don't have space to give them all plus ones. What should we do if someone starts a relationship after this point? Invitations will not go out until May. We finished the guest list, because my MOH wanted my bridal shower guest list.

Re: What do you do if guests start relationships after the guest list is finalized?

• Options
    That's why you should always give yourself wiggle room.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    MollyandDMollyandD member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    We are trying to do that. I think we managed to get it to 163 people. Would you recommend cutting it down a little more, or leaving it as it is now? I haven't sent invitations, so now is the time to fix potential problems. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    The day that invitations go out is the cut off.  You don't have to make space if someone starts a relationship between invitations and the wedding.  Hopefully you have enough wiggle room just in case.  It's pretty unlikely that you'd have more than 2 single guests get into relationships in the next month.  
  • Options
    Yeah, it is unlikely. At first, we felt proud because we got it down to 161. Then we remembered that we have to count ourselves.
  • Options
    We built in wiggle room just for that reason.    DH and I met and were engaged within a few months.  If  it could happen to us it could happen to anyone.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    If you can budget for the possibility that single guests will be in relationships, by all means do that, but if someone starts a relationship who wasn't in one at the time the invitations went out, you are not required to add an additional guest for them.
  • Options
    You should always have wiggle room in your budget and your venue space for people who begin relationships before you send out invitations. 

Like @lyndausvi, DH and I met and were engaged very quickly (met in August, engaged in December, married in October). People can get very serious very quickly.

I would recommend, if you haven't sent STDates, cutting down your guest list to where you have enough wiggle room to accommodate new relationships.

But once the invites go out, you do not have to honour any relationships formed from then on -- it's nice if you can, obviously, but you don't have to.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    pinkshorts27pinkshorts27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2014

Yeah, it is unlikely. At first, we felt proud because we got it down to 161. Then we remembered that we have to count ourselves.

My parents and I were each keeping a potential guest list. We could never get them to match in totals. I couldn't figure it why my list was always two short, we forgot to include ourselves! Haha.

Eta, typo

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards