Snarky Brides
Options

One of my stones fell out of my ring

So I've been out and about all day walking in snow, and there is no way in hell I'm going to find this stone. The whole thing is insured, the problem is the jewelry store is 500 miles away from where I currently live. 

I took it to a jeweler in town thinking it was a simple matter of replacing it, and she wouldn't fix it because she thinks that the other stones around it will start to fall out. I'm terrified to mail it someone please reassure me! I took it to a jeweler in town thinking it was a simple matter of replacing it, and she wouldn't fix it because she thinks that the other stones around it will start to fall out. Our only option is to mail it or I won't be able to wear it for months. :(

Re: One of my stones fell out of my ring

• Options
    That really stinks!!

TBH, I couldn't see where the stone was missing.  But, I would put it in a small plastic baggy (like what you get a chain in when you go to the jeweler's) and then put it in a ring box, and put that box into a box.  Insure the ring via the mail system and make sure to call the receiving jeweler ahead to expect your package.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, it's not missing in the picture, it was just an idea of the little stone that was missing. I feel better about mailing it, My dad is a post master and told me how to do it safely and then just said to give it to him and he will make sure it's safe on our side.

I'm also worried about how it fell out and why the jeweler thinks more will begin to fall out? The little guys are held in prongs and are very close together. I don't think I smacked it or caught it on anything and I only got it two months ago, so that worries me as well. 
  • Options
    Well that would explain why I didn't see anything missing!  (Beautiful ring!)

I would just let the receiving jeweler know about the concerns of the local jeweler, and they can look into it once they have it. 

Perhaps get a second local jeweler to look at it (before sending it), that way if the jeweler far away says that they don't see anything wrong, you'll already have a second opinion, so you could say, "Well Mr./Mrs. Jeweler, I have had 2 people tell me differently, can you explain why they might have thought that?"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That's a really good idea. Thank you!
  • Options
    kitsunegari89kitsunegari89 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    I lost one of the stones in my ring in my kitchen and me and my fiance literally crawled around for 25 minutes until we found it. I then bagged it in a ziploc, bagged that ziploc in another ziploc and took it to the jeweler who fixed it free of charge in addition to adding more metal to the prongs to make sure it never happens again. Whoever sold you the ring should make it right. Mail that puppy in. People mail jewelry all the time. Send it fedex insured.

If you had it sized down like I did, the bending inward can cause the prongs to open slightly, causing the stones to be less secure. That's what caused my problem, anywho. 
    My colors are "blood of my enemies" and "rage".

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3h1kr8sYk1qzve89.gif
  • Options
    Hmm...I think I was already the size it was made in, but they might have taken it in half a size. 
  • Options
    kitsunegari89kitsunegari89 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    edandy said:
    Hmm...I think I was already the size it was made in, but they might have taken it in half a size. 
    I was also taken in half a size to make sure it doesn't slip off when my fingers are cold. That probably did it, TBH.
    My colors are "blood of my enemies" and "rage".

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3h1kr8sYk1qzve89.gif
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    I am guessing that those stones are glued in, not pronged.  I always recommend solitaires over the new styles with all the tiny stones, just for practical use.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    I am guessing that those stones are glued in, not pronged.  I always recommend solitaires over the new styles with all the tiny stones, just for practical use.
    As long as it was purchased from a reputable jeweler and not a department store or something, I'm willing to bet they're pronged. You just don't glue in diamonds. That's usually reserved for CZs and semi-precious stones in cheap sterling jewelry. The prongs can get worn, caught and bent, broken (particularly if one gets their gold ring into chlorine, even a swimming pool) and/or the stones can be hit and broken and come out that way. It just happens. Working at a jewelry store, I'm always a little appalled when women tell me they wear their rings washing dishes, cleaning, etc. The diamonds are fairly unlikely to be damaged, unless struck just the right way, but gold is soft, even when alloyed! Fine jewelry should be treated with care. Unless of course you have platinum, which can take a hell of a lot more punishment.
  • Options
    Yeah it's pronged. I just decided to wear it because the insurance for the main diamond doesn't kick in until the end of the month. Then we can send it in for repair. UGH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards