Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Not changing name- how to accept checks with FI's last name???

I am getting married soon and am keeping my last name. I anticipate some wedding guests will give us monetary gifts, and am concerned that some will be addressed to me with my fiance's last name instead of my own. Would these checks still be able to be deposited into my account? Is there a way to let guests know that I am keeping my name (and that it's best to write checks with my name)? I don't want to seem assuming, but know it's normal to receive some monetary gifts from guests. Any advice?

Re: Not changing name- how to accept checks with FI's last name???

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    You endorse the check exactly as it is written, Jane Doe, a/k/a Jane Smith.   Been there.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thank you! So the bank will still accept it even though it's made out to another name? I just have to endorse it as "my -first-name his-last-name"?
  • Every bank has different rules about this. My bank (Wells Fargo) was very easy. Since we were depositing the money into a joint account, we both just had to sign them (in our actual names) and that was it. Only one of us had to be present. They didn't ask to see our marriage certificate, but we had it just in case.

But some banks will require more work than that. Just ask a teller.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    I am having a similar problem.  My legal name is quite different than the name I use socially.  My mother hated my legal name.  Dad put it on the application for my birth certificate and mailed it in.  Now that Mom is gone, I am in charge of settling her estate.  She stubbornly put many of her papers in joint ownership with me and my sister, but under the name that is not my legally recognized name.
    So far, banks and insurance companies have been understanding, especially if they personally had any dealings with my mother.  It has made for a few bumps in the road.
    I sign her checks like this:  Mama Jones, Jane Jones executor.  I sign oher documents FiFi Jones a/k/a Jane Jones.   You should sign checks Name as written a/k/a Jane Jones.  Talk to the bank.  They will help you.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thank you all, for your help!
  • If checks are written to both FI and me and one of us wants to deposit it into our own account (we don't have a joint account) do we both have to sign it or can just the person depositing it sign it?
  • If checks are written to both FI and me and one of us wants to deposit it into our own account (we don't have a joint account) do we both have to sign it or can just the person depositing it sign it?
    It depends. If your names are connected by "or," either of you can sign it. If it says "and," then you both need to sign it. It doesn't matter where you're depositing it.
  • I also am not changing my name. We have a joint account so I signed the ones with my name and he signed his. No problems.
  • On the bright side, I found that most of these checks were written to Mr. & Mrs. Hislast or Mr & Mrs. Hisfirst Hislast.  Apparently, the titles didn't matter.  Our bank was completely fine with him depositing those in his account without me.  The ones with both our first names had to be deposited in our joint account, regardless of what last name was on them.  

I think I would just deposit it all in the ATM if I had to do it over again.  
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2014
    It really depends on the bank. Most of our checks were made out to Mr. or Mrs. his-first his-last. I did not change my name until almost six months after the wedding due to going to school and it being a pain in the butt to change my name in the middle of a semester.

However, we had a few that said Mr. and Mrs. his-first his-last. We had to bring in our marriage certificate, not a photocopy, a certified copy, and I had to sign the back with both my maiden name and my married name.
  • Thanks for asking this! I'm also not changing my name and was wondering how to handle this.

When my sister got married, her bank was a PAIN. She actually changed her name but had to go through SO many hoops because some people wrote the checks out to her maiden name without thinking about it. It took her quite some time to get everything settled. I guess that's just more reason to talk to the bank in advance and see what they'll accept.

Although...my roommates and I ALWAYS deposit our checks online now (via apps) and one of my roommates just told me that he NEVER signs the back of his check and doesn't have an issue. I'm not sure if that would have a different effect of the check was written out to Jane Doe and your bank account was under the name Jane Smith, but it might be worth trying...
  • @starbright2013

Thought I should add here if someone writes you a cheque with your husbands surname on and it isnt your surname you can just show your marriage cert at the bank and they will accept it 
  • I would just go to my bank with my husband, ID, and marriage certificate and talk to the teller.
  • Was wondering this myself. Both my fiancée and I will be doctors by the time we get married and won't be changing our names for professional reasons. Since we both currently use separate banks, we're open to setting up a joint account any any bank. Any suggestions (maybe banks that made it an easy process)?
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Ask your bank, but most banks do want you to double-endorse any checks that are made payable incorrectly.
  • edited May 2014

I just had my husband cash them all. There were no problems. He signed them all. I didn't need to sign anything or be there with him.

Agree on checking with your bank though as to their policies.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards