Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Where to Shop?!

I will be starting my dress shopping in a couple of months!  I live in Dallas, where I'm sure there is a wonderful selection of dresses, but I am considering going to another city to shop.  My mom lives out of town, so we will really only have one weekend to shop- either in Dallas or in another city (NYC, LA, etc).  I would like to stick to bridal boutiques, and avoid chain stores.  Has anyone shopped both places?  Which was better?  Are the dresses in LA and NYC marked up significantly?  Thanks!!

Re: Where to Shop?!

• Options
    What is your budget?  If it is under $2000, you can save the trip.  Why avoid chain stores?  David's Bridal isn't the only one.  Demetrios and Alfred Angelo are both sold in chain stores.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I don't understand going so far away to shop. You will find plenty of non chain stores in Dallas.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Other thought - you will have to add the cost of your flight and hotel to your dress budget.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Yep. And meals, taxis or rental cars, etc.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I agree with the others - shop around your hometown.  There are a TON of bridal boutiques in just about every area, you can go to your local boards and ask for recommendations.

I did not shop with my mom - most shops either allowed all the pictures I wanted or were very nice about the fact my mom wasn't there and would allow pictures of my top contenders so I could show my mom.  In the end, the dress I picked I really didn't care if my mom (or anybody else) approved of because I love it!

Before making a trip to another city - at least look around your area and try on dresses to get a feel for what type of fabrics you like and what shapes you like.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Dallas is a huge city with a lot of very nice boutiques(i think tthere's a say yes to the dress Dallas) so I would stay in the area for now. Try on a few shapes and different styles and see how you feel you look in them if one sticks out ask if you can take a picture to show your mom. The need to go to LA or New York ect just catches me...i guess
  • Options

I agree, shopping in your hometown is best. I live in DE, so my whole state is like the size of your hometown LOL... but I have been to 3 shops, 2 boutique and 1 chain (David's) and I definitely liked the experience of the boutique shops better than David's. I felt like I had much more attention at the boutiques, even though the consultant I was working with had other clients at the same time, it just seemed as if they were more invested in how their brides felt and looked than at David's, where I got the impression "it's OK if YOU don't like us, there are plenty other brides who will, now here's some stuff go try it on.." If you're mom is out of town, maybe you could use bringing her to Dallas to spend a little stress-free time with her, because having one person travel, especially if you've got appointments to keep, will be less involved than having 2 coordinating and navigating a totally new city. Shopping in a city you already know will maximize the mother/daughter time you have for that one weekend :)

• Options
    hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited March 2014
    the only reason i would see the need for you to go out of state to shop would be if you were plus size and you lived in a small town and there was nothing near you that you could try on

i got my dress at a small boutique i had an amazing experience i am also plus size but there was a shop 15 minutes from my house.

i would start looking at designers to see what styles you like

some designers you may hate others you may love

some designers that have gowns from 500-2000 with most being in the 1000-1500 range

morilee
    jasmine
    bonnny
    venus
    allure

i was ready to go to nyc since its only 2 hours from me but after finding the gown 15 minutes away i had no need to
  • Options
    I would recommend shopping in your area before you even consider traveling.  I live outside NYC, but didn't even bother to dress shop in the city because so many local shops carried the same designers. 

Like others have said, take the cost of travel into consideration.  NYC sales tax is about 9% on clothing purchases over $110.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

I'd also say shop in your hometown , especially if you are just looking to travel to shop for the sake of it.     I went to both a chain (David's) and a boutique (where i ended up buying).  I wasn't opposed to David's, but i found dresses i loved much more at the boutique.  It was also definitely a different experience at each - more attention at the boutique, whereas at David's i was basically stuck in a dressing with with a handful of dresses.    If you are concerned with only having 1 day with your mom - can you go out in Dallas before she can come to town, to get an idea of what you like and narrow choices, then go back with her?   The boutique I went to did not allow any photo's until i "said yes to the dress".  

• Options
    I am going dress shopping in SF even though I live in Boston. I really wanted to go dress shopping with my mom and grandmother who live in that area, so I am making it work. But if you are just going to a random city for dresses, than you are better off staying in Dallas. I bet Dallas has some great shops.
  • Options
    I live right outside of New York and when my sister was looking for gowns we went into the city. It really is a better selection of stores and gowns in a smaller area. Also my sister didn't really like the local shops since most of her friends were most likely going there as well for their gowns.
    If you are going to NY i would suggest visiting SOHO. 

My sister loved the Karen Willis Holmes gowns from pinterest. They didn't have a store front when we were shopping but i just found out that they recently opened one last month. Karen is Australian so this is their first store in America! I would definitely recommend their gowns. They are all hand made and can be altered in a thousand different ways. I cannot wait until to go there and try gowns on. That will be my first place i go. My wedding is December 2016 so i'm doing a lot of research before starting to shop.

Lovely Bridal is also nice. The gowns were nice but we didn't much like our consultant. She may have been new but she didn't know too much about the gowns.
    Gabriella's is also nice and carries a bunch of designers. The White Gown is also amazing. We loved our time spent there. There is also Vera and Monique Lhuillier. 

I think spending the money on travel and your stay is totally worth it if you find the perfect gown. Plus you can find a ton of deals with travel last minute or through Groupon. 

Hope this helps :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards