Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invitation Problems

So, there are many factors involved in this problem, a tight budget, a short engagement (5 months), a long distance relationship, and so on. I need to figure out how to word the Reception and RSVP cards in my wedding invitations. Because of our long distance relationship we are having our wedding in my fiancé's home town in Alabama, I've always loved it there anyway. So, we know that most our friends from where I live won't be able to attend the wedding, and we're having a celebration/reception after our honeymoon back at my church. I also have tons of family all over the country! So I want to give everyone the option of coming to either one, or both, so I want to include all of the information in one invite. Because of the tight budget, I'm also designing and printing the invitations myself. So I wanted some outside opinions on what I've come up with. The picture attached Is the Reception card and the RSVP card. On the reception card I have information listed for both "receptions" because the first one is pretty simple. I'm not quite sure how I should word this, "For those who cannot attend, the second reception will be held on..." or "For those who cannot join us, another celebration will be held on..." or something of that sort. Then on the RSVP card, I want people to be able to tell me on one card, I will/won't be coming to the wedding and I will/won't be coming to the celebration later. I'm at a bit of a loss on how to keep nice wording for accept/decline for two different events, and fit it on one card. Does the layout I came up with make sense, to mark on the lines on either side of accept/decline for each event...or is just confusing. And lastly! Because of our short engagement, we didn't send out 'save-the-dates' and need to list our registry information somewhere in the invitations, RSVP or Reception? Wording? I have a few different wordings on the side listed that I found. Suggestions welcome!!! Thanks for your help :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker
3.jpg 192.8K
ss.jpg 185.8K

Re: Invitation Problems

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    becks326 said:
    So, there are many factors involved in this problem, a tight budget, a short engagement (5 months), a long distance relationship, and so on. I need to figure out how to word the Reception and RSVP cards in my wedding invitations. Because of our long distance relationship we are having our wedding in my fiancé's home town in Alabama, I've always loved it there anyway. So, we know that most our friends from where I live won't be able to attend the wedding, and we're having a celebration/reception after our honeymoon back at my church. I also have tons of family all over the country! So I want to give everyone the option of coming to either one, or both, so I want to include all of the information in one invite. Because of the tight budget, I'm also designing and printing the invitations myself. So I wanted some outside opinions on what I've come up with. The picture attached Is the Reception card and the RSVP card. On the reception card I have information listed for both "receptions" because the first one is pretty simple. I'm not quite sure how I should word this, "For those who cannot attend, the second reception will be held on..." or "For those who cannot join us, another celebration will be held on..." or something of that sort. Then on the RSVP card, I want people to be able to tell me on one card, I will/won't be coming to the wedding and I will/won't be coming to the celebration later. I'm at a bit of a loss on how to keep nice wording for accept/decline for two different events, and fit it on one card. Does the layout I came up with make sense, to mark on the lines on either side of accept/decline for each event...or is just confusing. And lastly! Because of our short engagement, we didn't send out 'save-the-dates' and need to list our registry information somewhere in the invitations, RSVP or Reception? Wording? I have a few different wordings on the side listed that I found. Suggestions welcome!!! Thanks for your help :)
    Last question first:  No, you should never mention a registry in your invitations!  Never!  It is gift grabby and rude!  Don't do it!  You may include a small card that says "For directions, hotel information and other information, please visit our wedding website at http://www.theknot.com/etc.  Your guests can see your registry information on your website.

I am very sorry but you may not have two wedding receptions.  You only get one day for your wedding.  You didn't post your invitation  Did you put "Reception to follow" on the invitation?  That is all that is needed.  You may include the RSVP card for your wedding reception, which is after your ceremony.
    You may have another party when you get back, but, as it is not a part of your wedding, you shouldn't mention it in your invitation.  Send a separate invitation out for your party at a later date.
    You may post information about the party on your wedding website, which I mentioned above.  I wouldn't say that it is for people who couldn't attend your wedding, though.  Just have a nice party for everyone to celebrate.
    You do not need reception cards.  (That will help your budget!)  All you need is an invitation and an RSVP card, if you wish.  RSVP cards are not required, but most people do them, these days.
    If you post your invitation, I will be happy to help you edit it.

Oh, don't put "Please RSVP" on your response cards.  RSVP means respond, please.  It is redundant to say please twice.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    becks326 said:

My answers are in bold.

So, there are many factors involved in this problem, a tight budget, a short engagement (5 months), a long distance relationship, and so on. I need to figure out how to word the Reception and RSVP cards in my wedding invitations. Because of our long distance relationship we are having our wedding in my fiancé's home town in Alabama, I've always loved it there anyway. So, we know that most our friends from where I live won't be able to attend the wedding, and we're having a celebration/reception after our honeymoon back at my church. I also have tons of family all over the country! So I want to give everyone the option of coming to either one, or both, so I want to include all of the information in one invite.

These are two separate events so they need separate invitations, sorry. 

Because of the tight budget, I'm also designing and printing the invitations myself. So I wanted some outside opinions on what I've come up with. The picture attached Is the Reception card and the RSVP card. On the reception card I have information listed for both "receptions" because the first one is pretty simple. I'm not quite sure how I should word this, "For those who cannot attend, the second reception will be held on..." or "For those who cannot join us, another celebration will be held on..." or something of that sort.

Don't do the bolded-even though you don't intend it, the second celebration comes off as a consolation prize and therefore not as desirable as being able to come to the first.  It's also not a "reception."  The only "reception" you can have is the one immediately following your ceremony.

Then on the RSVP card, I want people to be able to tell me on one card, I will/won't be coming to the wedding and I will/won't be coming to the celebration later.

Again, you can't do this on one RSVP card.  You need separate cards for the separate invitations to the different events.

I'm at a bit of a loss on how to keep nice wording for accept/decline for two different events, and fit it on one card. Does the layout I came up with make sense, to mark on the lines on either side of accept/decline for each event...or is just confusing.

Once again, keep the invitations separate and don't try to combine them into one event, because as you point out here, they are two different events.  So the layout doesn't work.

And lastly! Because of our short engagement, we didn't send out 'save-the-dates' and need to list our registry information somewhere in the invitations, RSVP or Reception? Wording? I have a few different wordings on the side listed that I found. Suggestions welcome!!! Thanks for your help :)

You not only don't need to list your registry information anywhere in the invitations, it's very rude to do so and comes off as gift-grabby.  Leave it out altogether.  If someone wants to know where you are registered, they can either go online and find out for themselves, or they can ask you, whereupon you can tell them.  But you cannot give this information unsolicited to anyone who hasn't asked for it.

• Options
    I know you didn't ask about this, but instead of "June the Twenty First" flip it around, "the twenty-first of June"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know you didn't ask about this, but instead of "June the Twenty First" flip it around, "the twenty-first of June"
    As I suggested, post your invitation here and we can help you word it correctly.  From the looks of things, you need us!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    thanks for your suggestions, but between my fiancé and I and our mothers we've decided how we're going to word everything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    becks326 said:
    thanks for your suggestions, but between my fiancé and I and our mothers we've decided how we're going to word everything.
    Hm.  Sounds ominous.  Do I hear trains rumbling?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    becks326 said:
    So why exactly did you ask for help if you were going to do what you wanted anyway?
  • Options
    becks326 said:
    Well, that's ten minutes of my life I'll never get back....
  • Options
    my cousin and his wife did a destination wedding the told everyone it was on a cruise ship and these are the dates they left it up in the air if people wanted to come of course  it was peak season so prices were already high, they ended up just having immediat family go parents siblings, a few close friends, grandparents a few of her aunts uncles, they ended up having a reception when they came back it was a really nice backyard party and everyone had fun, but they sent out separate invites for that
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards