Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Pasta bar

I'm helping a friend plan a wedding and would like some opinions on pasta bars. She wants salad, bread and water preset at place settings and then a few buffet style tables for the rest of the meal. She wants pasta but doesn't want people to have to add sauce and slow down the line (or splatter themselves with sauce).
We were thinking 1 table with Pasta Alfredo, Marinara, mac & cheese, and some Italian rice or polenta dish for gluten free people. Another table would have meatballs, sausage, roasted vegetables, potato & green bean salad.
Okay, I guess it's not a typical pasta bar but does it work?

Re: Pasta bar

• Options
    When I think pasta bar I think of chefs sizzling up each persons selections. That's the only way I've seen it. Usually a line forms so I find there's plenty of time for each person to chose the toss ins they want, and then the chefs add the sauce when sautéing.
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I love the pasta bar idea, but have a few suggestions: 

Have the sauces mixed with the pasta already. Include three pasta choices: an alfredo, marinara, and a primavera or pesto. Skip the mac & cheese and Italian rice/polenta and use GF pasta for the primavera/pesto station instead. Then have a toppings bar with sauteed shrimp, chicken, meatballs, sausage, red pepper flakes, parm cheese, fresh basil, and sundried tomatoes. 

Definitely nix the potato and green bean salad. It doesn't seem to go with the pasta at all.
  • Options
    ElcaB said:
    I love the pasta bar idea, but have a few suggestions: 

Have the sauces mixed with the pasta already. Include three pasta choices: an alfredo, marinara, and a primavera or pesto. Skip the mac & cheese and Italian rice/polenta and use GF pasta for the primavera/pesto station instead. Then have a toppings bar with sauteed shrimp, chicken, meatballs, sausage, red pepper flakes, parm cheese, fresh basil, and sundried tomatoes. 

Definitely nix the potato and green bean salad. It doesn't seem to go with the pasta at all.
    Honestly, I eat GF all the time.  We had a pasta bar and had GF pasta, but I wish we had thought of doing a rice or polenta option instead!  That sounds awesome!

You definetely should have chefs preparing each plate and sizzling it up.  We also and a variety of different herbs, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and cheeses for people to add on their own. 

I'd skip the mac and cheese and add another sauce that people could add to any pasta or polenta.  
  • Options

I would be concerned about the length of time having the chefs sizzle would take though... That's a good option when you have staions, but if everyone is having pasta I would imagine the line could get super long. If you don't have the budget for a ton of chefs, I'd recommend going with a self-serve situation like you mentioned originally. I'm just remembering at the college dining hall, waiting for like half an hour for custom pasta!

(this doen't apply if your guest list is super small)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards