Ohio-Columbus

SEAMSTRESS WARNING - DO NOT USE Joyce at Alterations on Lane

Hi Ladies!

I have a good friend getting married in April who was referred to Joyce at Alterations on Lane. I recently went with her to her first appointment where we had one of the WORST experiences ever. I have to say, it was not only one of the worst wedding related experiences I have ever had (I got married in May, so am familiar with this process) but one of the overall worst customer experiences of my LIFE. It was THAT BAD.

When we arrived, we were super excited. This is supposed to be a really fun time! She instantly put a wrench in that with her HORRIBLE attitude. For starters, she greeted us by demanding we "take off our boots right away" and then proceeded to say to the bride (my friend)  "I am not sure why you brought two friends with you, but I put people to work if they are here." I was instantly put off by her abrasive, harsh attitude. I expected a warm greeting, friendly attitude, an offer of a water bottle; something! Instead we got that. Once the bride had her dress on, she walked in the room, opened up the window (mind you, it was 25 degrees out) and said "OK, what are we doing?" What are we doing?? How about she tells us what she thinks, considering she is the expert. How is the bride supposed to know exactly what she should be doing to a wedding dress, something she has never worn before? She never once commented on how the dress looked or told her she looked pretty. It went DOWNHILL from there. She unhooked the brides belt that she bought for the dress and said we wouldn't be working with it for several more appointments. She proceeded to literally TOSS it in the bottom of the bag on the floor - a 250.00 BELT! When the bride asked for the dress to be a bit tighter, Joyce said "So, you are ok with your dress ripping at the seams at your reception?"  EXCUSE ME? She didnt ask you to make it so tight it would rip, she asked you to tighten it a bit. She wouldnt do anything the bride was asking for, instead had a reason why it couldn't be done, or wasn't a good idea. While she was pinning the bottom of the dress, she literally ripped the strings connecting the lace to the skirt with her bare hands. I understand that needs to be done, but ripping it with her bare hands was another example of her abrasiveness. She should have used a pair of scissors to make it more graceful.

The appointment ended by her screaming in my face when I finally stuck up for the bride - I put my foot down and told her she needs to be listening, she is not doing anything the bride is asking for, and she is being EXTREMELY rude. I stormed out, and shortly after, the bride followed me WITH HER DRESS IN HAND. She left so quickly, we realized later that she left a workout jacket there (that she was wearing when we arrived) Joyce didn't even bother to call to let her know. We didn't go back either. The experience was so bad, she didn't even care to go get the jacket.

LADIES, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT use her. NO bride should experience what we experienced, especially for something as special as a wedding dress fitting. It should be a fun, friendly experience, where you are listened to, treated with respect, and walk out feeling confident. Never in this lifetime would I trust that woman with my dress, or anyone else's. Find someone else!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: SEAMSTRESS WARNING - DO NOT USE Joyce at Alterations on Lane

• I feel like we honestly don't have any good seamstresses in the area for wedding gowns - or bridesmaids dresses for that matter. It's awful bc there are so few choices and they know they have you over a barrel - especially once they have your dress. Sorry, but not surprised.

A seamstress got lippy with my mom when she pointed out a 3 inch tear in the tulle on my SIL's wedding dress. It was on the front of the torso. No apology or anything - but what can do? :(
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• ^ What a terrible experience.  It's so surprising because I always see Joyce's name pop up during seamstress talk.  

I copied and pasted this from a facebook group.  I don't have personal knowledge of this woman, but I trust the OP. :-)

Bernice Muschlitz is excellent and specializes in wedding gowns. She's in Gahana. Phone is 614-476-2125.
  • Wow I'm so sorry for your experience and your friend! And good for you for sticking up for her! I luckily never had any problem with Linda Hammond in Hilliard. 614-777-6070

So if your friend is still looking for a seamstress, I would highly recommend her! She's very sweet and down to earth, and will give you a more pleasant experience like what would be expected! 

Good luck to you and your friend!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I used Bernice a few years ago.  She was AMAZING.  Very nice, had good ideas, went above and beyond the call of duty.  I highly recommend her!
  • I have to say, I would be remiss not to come to Joyce's defense a bit here. I have had four fittings with her so far. I will say, she is certainly a VERY unique personality. And she is definitely not the seamstress for everyone. She is brutally honest and really demands that you be a part of the process, and yes, she can be rude. She will tell you that she can be difficult.

We've certainly had our moments, and at times I've been downright terrified! I know nothing about alterations or bridal gowns and it was very intimidating in the beginning that she wanted me to tell her how I wanted things.

However, with that said, she is now my absolute favorite wedding vendor. Not only have I grown to truly enjoy Joyce, I have also learned quite a few valuable life lessons through this process. She teaches you to really speak up for yourself and to know what you want. She is the expert, but it is your dress and your day and it has to fit the way you want it to, not the way she thinks it should fit. In the end, she does impeccable work and she forces you to form the dress to your liking, not hers. It may be a bumpy ride getting there, but that makes the end result all the more special. Her philosophy is that dress fittings are the one wedding-related event that shouldn't be all exciting and fun. She always says that she will cry and get emotional with you when it's all done, but it's business until then so that the job can get done right.

On a more personal note, Joyce has also been incredibly kind and thoughtful with my mother at all of the appointments. My mother has terminal breast cancer, and when Joyce found that out she sat and cried with my her. Joyce volunteers at a hospice center in town and anyone who does that is a hero in my book.

I'm truly sorry for anyone who found their experience to be so terrible. My suggestion though, is for people to give her a chance. If you can make it through that first, initial shock of an appointment and adjust your expectations, working with Joyce can be really very rewarding.
  • I definitely think it's all about finding different styles... I don't think a bride should ever have to feel "downright terrified" in their wedding dress! I tried her for a bridesmaids dress as well as my wedding dress, so I definitely gave her a chance. Not only was she extremely rude and "in your face", her work space was dirty and she told me several things were "impossible" to do to my dress that my current seamstress, Linda Hine, was able to do. I'm glad you had a good experience with Joyce but really think other brides need to have a warning so nobody has to feel that way in their wedding dress!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards