Wedding Etiquette Forum

Seeking Suggestions: DW / OOT guests ... am I hosting properly?

We have the bulk of our wedding weekend plans set, with room for a few tweaks if necessary. We can't really "budge" on the budget, but I think if any changes need to happen, it's in the coordination of events. Here's the run down and I hope you all can pick it apart nicely and point me in a better direction if necessary:

Venue/ Lodging: Our venue is out of the area for us and 90% of guests (Same state but 90 minute drive to the mountains) ... All family on his side and half of mine has to fly in from out of state and my other half has anywhere from a 3-6 hour drive. The venue has lodging as part of the wedding package for 2 nights. We reserved an additional 2 nights on our dime. All wedding party and family who have to travel AND a few friends who are helping with key parts of the event are being given free lodging.

Rehearsal is the night before the wedding at 4pm. Wedding party includes all OOS family, so they'll already be there. One BM who is local will have to take off work (her choice, if she can). The rehearsal dinner we are having at the venue, catered by a taco vendor, cooking/serving on site, very casual, and we're inviting all of the guests and family who are staying with us to be included, in addition to the wedding party.

Wedding day: wedding party members will have the morning thru about noon to themselves, then guys will meet in one room and girls will meet in my room to get ready. We have nothing we are demanding of them that day (set up, last minute DIY projects, dessert table).... everything will be done by the moms and friends who have offered (which is in part why we're putting them up for free).

Guest arrival / pre-wedding cocktail hour: We have a limited bar (beer and wine) planned for the reception dinner and I'm afraid if we fully open the bar for the arrival hour, we'll run out of drinks at the reception. My idea is to serve only a limited amount of beer and soda/water/tea for the arrival hour.

Reception: To allow maximum use of seating since we're at the limit, we're going to create 2 picnic areas for all of the kids ages 8-16, all of whom know each other. Girls area separate from boys. This will free up 2-3 tables for adults and allow the kids to run amok. There will be games and things for them to do before during and after dinner. The entire itinerary for the afternoon is relaxed, so kids running around won't cause any issues.

Registry: We have already lived together and this is not a first wedding for either of us. We were not going to register anywhere but we got tons of grief from a few people early on at that idea, so we decided to do a small registry at 2 places, but we are not including that info in any part of the wedding website. They'll have to ask directly and then we extpect that detail may spread by word of mouth.

In any of this, is there any glaring mistake that should be pointed out? We're trying to have a very relaxed fun non-wedding event feel to our day. No bouquet toss, no garter toss, no father daughter dance. Just BBQ, music, lost of desserts, open bar, etc.

Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Seeking Suggestions: DW / OOT guests ... am I hosting properly?

• You are being very gracious by paying for your guests' lodging!

Maybe in the pre-ceremony time, can you have water/iced tea/lemonade? I think that if it's before the ceremony, a refreshing non-alcoholic beverage is more than enough. You can include beer and wine too, but if you're worried, just hold off until after the ceremony.

The only think that make me hold my breath are the kids tables, but you know your crowd. Some parents may want their kids to sit with them. I suggest seating kids with the parents if you can.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Yeah, the only thing I can see being a problem is the kids' tables. If it's a bunch of 12 to 17-year-olds sitting together, it will probably be fine. But if you have anyone who still needs a high chair or still needs mom's encouragement to eat their food instead of throw it, parents will probably want to sit with their children. Kids' tables can work well at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but probably less so at a wedding.
    eyeroll
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm curious about splitting the kids into groups based on gender, but besides that, nothing seems off to me.

(My family does kids tables all the time, so that definitely doesn't seem weird to me. We're planning on having one at our wedding.)
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • I ditto PP about having non-alcoholic beverages before the wedding, then just having your beer/wine at cocktail hour/reception.

And if you know your kids well enough to know that the kids' tables will work, go for it.

You appear to be hosting everyone very graciously.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I like your plans.  You have a very gracious attitude.

I don't understand splitting up the kids by gender, but as long as the parents and kids are okay sitting apart and the kids are old enough for that (say,  about 10 and over), I think you're fine there.  

I also agree with PPs about serving the alcohol at the reception and having non-alcoholic drinks available before the wedding.
  • It sounds like we are hosting similar weddings, so at the risk of sounded biased, I think you've covered the bases nicely :) 

I agree that water / iced tea etc would be fine pre-ceremony.  If you can swing it, it might be nice to have a refreshment station throughout the day Saturday if people will be around.  We're doing this with water, iced tea, lemonade, and bug spray / sunscreen.

I like your idea for the kids during the reception. I think it'll be more fun for them... how many kids want to sit at a table and be on 'best behavior' anyway?  We are having a kid's table at the reception, but we are only inviting children within the family, which is only 6 kids, and have the same exact age group, 8-16.  I'm working on activity bags for them, and they'll have their own menu, so hopefully that makes it more fun for them.

Just curious, are you providing welcome bags?

• KRD2014KRD2014 member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2014

thank you all for your feedback! i love offthemarket915's idea of a beverage station for the entire day for everyone who's at the venue. my mom makes a nice sun tea wih lemon. :)

to clarify the kids seating, any little ones (under 8) and kids of guests who are not part of the crowd who hang out together often and don't know each other well, would be seated with their parents. and i think they might see the kids picnic area end up over there if the parents encouraged it. also, "kids" over 16 (we have about 5 of them 16-18) will definitley prefer to sit with the adults, so we'll keep them at the adult tables. they can go picnic it if they want to. :)

the reason for splitting girls from boys was just because i know these kids and at other events they have their circle of friends, they end up split that way, having fun together. a brother/sister pair who are normally made to do everything together can have a break and just hang with their friends. also i had planned to decorate each of the picnic areas differenctly. pink and orange blankets and balloons and crafty stuff laying around for the girls, and blue/green blankets and remote control cars and boy stuff in the boys area.

to answer about the welcome bags, we may still have room in the budget to do something small for each family, but we're waiting to confim everyone's attendance before we decide on that. i could use some ideas on what to include. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2014

Everything sounds great,just one small suggestions.

You may want to consider light snacks or sandwich tray for the your room & room where men will be getting ready since it will be around lunch time. This way no one will be suffering from empty stomaches or light headedness during the ceremong. This may be really important if you plan on having any adult beverages while getting ready.

• Thanks.  Sun tea sounds great. 

For welcome bags, water and a snack are always nice.  Is there a snack or something that is known at your destination?  We're also including a local map, welcome note & event timeline among other things.  You could include bug repellent / sunscreen packets instead of or in addition to the refreshment station. Something like this: http://shop.avon.com/product.aspx?pf_id=33985  I didn't see them online but I know they make one with SPF too. Don't know how many guests you're expecting but these would come out to $1.75 pp. You might be able to find cheaper option.  Are there any features of the area/property or activites that you could tie into? For example, there are horses at our venue so we're including treats for the horses, for anyone who'd like to say hi to them. 

• Erikan73 said:

Everything sounds great,just one small suggestions.

You may want to consider light snacks or sandwich tray for the your room & room where men will be getting ready since it will be around lunch time. This way no one will be suffering from empty stomaches or light headedness during the ceremong. This may be really important if you plan on having any adult beverages while getting ready.

definitely!! i had planned on that, just failed to mention it. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks.  Sun tea sounds great. 

For welcome bags, water and a snack are always nice.  Is there a snack or something that is known at your destination?  We're also including a local map, welcome note & event timeline among other things.  You could include bug repellent / sunscreen packets instead of or in addition to the refreshment station. Something like this: http://shop.avon.com/product.aspx?pf_id=33985  I didn't see them online but I know they make one with SPF too. Don't know how many guests you're expecting but these would come out to $1.75 pp. You might be able to find cheaper option.  Are there any features of the area/property or activites that you could tie into? For example, there are horses at our venue so we're including treats for the horses, for anyone who'd like to say hi to them. 

thanks for this suggestion also ... i guess i had most of that covered but wasn't thinking along the lines of a welcome bag! for each family as they arrive, in each room i planned to leave a thank you for being here letter, a local activity guide brochure, an area map, a wedding party and family contact list, an event schedule, and cookies from a local shop. i didn't realize these count as welcome bag items. SCORE! LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Srsly? You're color coding the boys and girls? So unnecessary.
  • KRD2014 said:

Thanks.  Sun tea sounds great. 

thanks for this suggestion also ... i guess i had most of that covered but wasn't thinking along the lines of a welcome bag! for each family as they arrive, in each room i planned to leave a thank you for being here letter, a local activity guide brochure, an area map, a wedding party and family contact list, an event schedule, and cookies from a local shop. i didn't realize these count as welcome bag items. SCORE! LOL
    Totally sounds like a welcome bag to me! lol 
  • Srsly? You're color coding the boys and girls? So unnecessary.
    agreed, unnecessary .. it is just an idea we have tossed around. we may not go that route. sounded fun to us and the few parents we've mentioned it to. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2014

duplicate post  

• KRD2014 said:
    Srsly? You're color coding the boys and girls? So unnecessary.
    agreed, unnecessary .. it is just an idea we have tossed around. we may not go that route. sounded fun to us and the few parents we've mentioned it to. 
    I'd just keep to a color "theme" like green, blue, purple (or whatever) and have everything be the same, but write "Girls" in one of the colors and "Boys" in another. It'll make it easier to buy decorations for them too.
  • The kids area is blankets on the ground? Or do they have tables?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KRD2014KRD2014 member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2014
    The kids area is blankets on the ground? Or do they have tables?
    we think it will be blankets on grass, unless rsvp declines come back and we end up with enough tables.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KRD2014 said:
    we think it will be blankets on grass, unless rsvp declines come back and we end up with enough tables.
    You really need enough seating (chairs and tables) for every person who is going to be there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KRD2014 said:
    You really need enough seating (chairs and tables) for every person who is going to be there.
    This is the only issue I see. If kids are eating they need tables and chairs to do it at. You can't have them sitting on the ground for dinner. You need to rent more tables and chairs stat.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lennonkdc said:
    KRD2014 said:
    This is the only issue I see. If kids are eating they need tables and chairs to do it at. You can't have them sitting on the ground for dinner. You need to rent more tables and chairs stat.
    yep, that's the plan. we did describe the reception as bbq/picnic style on the website, and so far the feedback i've gotten from people who have RSVPd like the idea. it will be a jeans, no shoes, and lawn games type of reception. if we are allowed to i'll rent more tables. we'll see how many our final count comes to. thanks for the input. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KRD2014 said:
    lennonkdc said:
    KRD2014 said:
    yep, that's the plan. we did describe the reception as bbq/picnic style on the website, and so far the feedback i've gotten from people who have RSVPd like the idea. it will be a jeans, no shoes, and lawn games type of reception. if we are allowed to i'll rent more tables. we'll see how many our final count comes to. thanks for the input. :)
    If I saw "BBQ/picnic style," I'd assume picnic tables, not blankets on the ground. You can't just hope that you have enough declines before you decide if you'll have enough tables. If you're at capacity, you need to cut your guest list so every person has a chair.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KRD2014 said:
    lennonkdc said:
    KRD2014 said:
    If I saw "BBQ/picnic style," I'd assume picnic tables, not blankets on the ground. You can't just hope that you have enough declines before you decide if you'll have enough tables. If you're at capacity, you need to cut your guest list so every person has a chair.
    I get what you're saying. My thought is we won't rent any extra tables and chairs until we know we need them. We have 3 months to collect RSVPs. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KRD2014 said:
    KRD2014 said:
    lennonkdc said:
    KRD2014 said:
    I get what you're saying. My thought is we won't rent any extra tables and chairs until we know we need them. We have 3 months to collect RSVPs. :)
    You've already sent invitations and you're 3 months out?
    eyeroll
  • ^^ yes, to all of our OOS guests and family. 4 months actually. we know it's too early ... :) we got tired of fielding phone calls asking all the details and had family booking rooms elsewhere because they did not know we were putting them up. so we decided to send them and take care of everyone's concerns and questions.

update on the picnic idea. we won't be assigning a picnic area. it will be optional if the kids want to sit there they can.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards