Chit Chat
Options

NWR: Job offer... what to do?

I'll preface this by saying that obviously no one here can make this decision for me and that I have discussed - at length - both options with DH. He ultimately said we're fine either way, so the decision is totally mine to make. Cliffnotes at the bottom... didn't expect it to be so long.

I graduated last year with a degree in Special Education (K-12), but couldn't find a teaching job. Crappy. But I lucked into a full-time receptionist position at a job I'd previously filled in at over the last few years, so at least I have a job. Yay. It's been a crazy year of ups and downs here, with a lot of (needed) turnover in personnel, but we are finally at a good place. My bosses recognize how hard I've worked to get the shop where it is now and have given me a lot of latitude to do what I feel is in the best interest in the business in terms of the retail area, promos, etc. They also gave me a raise last fall, so I'm making a fairly competitive amount given the relative low-pay in the field. I love my job, even if it isn't what I went to school for.

Out of the blue last night, a previous boss texted me a job offer. It would be doing payroll and human resources for two car dealerships that he is the GM for. I previously worked for him as a salesperson and then as a billing and title clerk at two different dealerships. I loved working for and with him. It starts at the same pay I'm making now, and moves up an extra dollar per hour after 90 days. It also comes with insurance after 90 days (doesn't matter, as I'm on DH's plan which is phenomenal), paid vacation after 1 year (same thing at my current job), and a 401K after a year (no retirement plan where I am now). The owner of the auto group can be hard to work for... he has a reputation for high turnover, especially in under-performing dealerships. But I did well for the three years I worked for him previously. 

I'm so torn as to what to do. I love my current job and the people I work with. I have a fairly flexible schedule (they are great about granting requests for time off beyond the one-week paid vacation), and I get a killer discount for veterinary expenses because the place I work is owned by my vet clinic. But there really isn't much in the way of benefits and not much room for growth, unless I become a manager officially (I am already doing a lot of management work, but at an hourly rate; a salaried position would actually probably make less money per-hour than what I do now). The new position I was offered would be something I've never done before, but I do know the GM is fabulous about training for exactly what he wants. And the money is better with room for growth and more benefits, but it means dealing with the crazy owner for my career... and he's notoriously tough to get along with. DH has a fabulous pension/retirement from his company, plus a 401k, so I don't necessarily need a retirement plan of my own (but it would be nice to have). So I have no idea what to do. 

CN: Graduated college and got FT receptionist job in a field unrelated to my degree making a decent hourly wage. Love my job and the people I work with, lots of flexibility for hours/time off, but not a lot of room for growth and very little in the way of benefits. Got a job offer from a former boss (GM) that I loved working with for another job, also unrelated to my field of study, making slightly more money with potential for growth and benefits, but working for an owner who can be a PITA and very little flexibility in hours/time off (which is important to me). WWYD? 

Re: NWR: Job offer... what to do?

• Options
    It sounds like the car dealership has more positives. But i would want to know exactly how horrible the owner is. What would your commute be like for each? Have you talked to your current boss about this new offer? Maybe they could match your new offer or at least put you on a path to be an office manager.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Commute is similar, with starting hours being the same (8 AM). Current job I'm supposed to get off at 4 (though it's generally more in the 4:30-4:45 range), job offer is scheduled until 5 PM. However, I do know on month-end days, it's often an "everyone works until the dealership closes at 9 PM" deal, even when you're only scheduled until 4 or 5.

Owner of the dealerships is well known for walking into stores and firing salespeople on the spot for not greeting him appropriately. In the year I was in sales, I had EIGHT different sales managers because they were routinely fired, and went through five different GMs, two finance managers, and three office managers at my last dealership in a 9 month span. So there's room to move up the ladder, but how long you continue working for him at higher capacities is so up in the air that I don't feel it's a lot of job security. 

I haven't talked to my current bosses yet because I feel like they just recently gave me a raise (less than six months ago, and I was bumped $2/hr at that time). My best guess is that they will say, "Well, we love to have you but we can't match that so we understand if you need to take this job," though I suppose I don't know unless I do approach it with them. 
  • Options
    Personally I would stay where I was and continue looking for a teaching job. Do you still want to be a teacher?
  • Options
    Hm, I've had enough jobs to know that pleasant people to work with can outweigh certain benefits. It really becomes a nightmare to deal with difficult coworkers/bosses. I would probably stay where I was, in your shoes. To me, flexibility is vital too.

Also, you do know that you don't need a 401k at your job to start your own retirement savings? You can easily go out and open an IRA on your own, independent from your employer.

I would absolutely encourage you to start your own retirement planning. Don't rely on your DH. You have no idea what time will bring.
  • Options

As someone who has had a difficult and PITA boss before, I would definitely not want to work in an environment like that. I work in HR (Recruiting) and I know there's a lot of room for growth but, not at the cost of working with someone who is that impulsive about business decisions and just fires people on the spot. I wouldn't be able to deal with that kind of negative atmosphere.

However, is it possible you can speak with your current boss and ask "Hey I want to grow and move up in the company." Perhaps them knowing you need/want to take that next step could possibly lead you to a promotion or different job in the future.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    In your shoes, I would probably stay at the current job and continue job hunting for a special ed position. While turning down the other job offer, I'd also probably mention that the major reason for turning it down was job security: you are concerned, based on his behavior when you last worked there, that you might lose your job unexpectedly.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. 

Part of the reason I left the dealership group previously was the work environment. It wasn't working for this particular GM (he had moved from my dealership to the one he is currently at/offering me the job at), but the office environment had become toxic. One girl in particular was the source of all of the drama, but even with changing my hours and doing my best to not interact with her, it took it's toll (DH told me to quit; I was miserable to live with because it was so stressful working in the office drama everyday).  I know this GM won't tolerate that, but there's no guarantee that he won't be moved to another dealership or fired. 

I honestly have very little desire left to teach at this point. I was very downtrodden to not even get a response for the dozens and dozens of applications I placed in a variety of grades, different school districts, even though I graduated Cum Laude and had glowing recommendations from the associate director of my program (who was also one of my professors for several classes) and from not one, but two of my supervisors from student teaching. It was especially hard when several of my classmates who skated by and barely graduated all had job offers before even leaving student teaching. 

I'm really heavily considering going back to school for a Masters in social work or something similar; I have a heavy interest in animal assisted therapies for individuals with special needs, so I'd like to find a program that I could incorporate that into. But in the meantime, I need to maintain a full-time job to pay my bills and student loans.

I think I'll probably turn down the offer, but thank my old GM profusely for thinking to offer it to me. I may still approach my current bosses and see if we can work something out to match; perhaps bonuses based on retail performance if not an overall raise? (My best quarter for retail sales last year was more than double their next best quarter ever.) But I do think the work environment here is more conducive to my overall happiness!

Thank you all for letting me pontificate on it here.
  • Options
    I definitely agree with others that you're probably better off where you are. I'm one of those people in the same boat as you. I have a degree for secondary education- German... but ended up in NC because that's where FI could find a teaching job for Social Studies. Unfortunately, no one down here even thinks German is a proper language to study. I currently work for the same school district as my FI but for a grant they only have for another year.... needless to say, I don't want to be a teacher anymore... I'm playing out my current position and going from there... we might be moving back to PA this summer after our wedding anyways, so no point to hunt/go back to school yet until we're in PA soil.

Anyways! Good luck on what you decide. Can't hurt to ask for more money, though.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards