Chit Chat
Options

DJ and Photographer

Hey ladies. I'm looking at hiring a DJ and Photographer right now. I'm home, so I'm meeting with some people while I'm home and emailing some more people within our budget. We have a guest list of about 230, expected attendance of 100-150 (it is basically a DW for our extended families which are at least a few states away, we are prepared to host all invited, just being realistic with expectations of attendance)

We don't know exactly what to ask. I have the following questions, which I'm using to judge their experience and style. Am I missing something? 

DJ:
-Do you MC? How do you interact with guests?
-Are you willing to do the music for the ceremony also?
-Do you have your own equipment? What does that include?
-How long does it take you to setup?
-What type of music do you specialize in?
-Do you allow a Do Not Play List? 
-How do you handle requests?
-How do you keep people enjoying themselves and on the dance floor?
-Earlier in the night we will have some older folks and some younger folks, how do you keep both interested? 

Photographers:
-What would you consider to be your style?
-Could we get digital copies of all photographs taken, as well as rights to print them?
-How do you interact with people while taking portraits? 
-What would you do if you noticed that a certain pose wasn't working for a guest (for example, standing like that was pulling their shirt funny)?
-How do you react if a guest with a camera is in your way of an important shot?
-Do you do first looks?
-How long does it typically take to get photos back?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DJ and Photographer

• Options

Photographers:
    -What would you consider to be your style?
    How long have you been shooting?
    What do you shoot with?
    Do you carry backup equipment?
    -Could we get digital copies of all photographs taken, as well as rights to print them?
    What size will we be able to print the images? How big are the files?
    -How do you interact with people while taking portraits? 
    -What would you do if you noticed that a certain pose wasn't working for a guest (for example, standing like that was pulling their shirt funny)? I DON'T FIND THIS TO BE RELEVANT AND WOULDN"T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU WERE GETTING AT.
    Instead - do you help pose people in non candid shots?
    -How do you react if a guest with a camera is in your way of an important shot? WHAT DO YOU WANT THEM TO SAY HERE? THIS IS A LOADED QUESTION AND WOULD CONCERN ME.
    -Do you do first looks?
    -How long does it typically take to get photos back?
    Do you edit the images? How many?
    What does editing consist of?
    Do you offer a second shooter? How much?

ABOVE ALL - can I see a full wedding you have shot? -anyone can take a few great photos. You need to see a full day and see that they have solid skills.

Let me see if I can find my other recs. But here's a quick list from a photog's (not wedding) opinion.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    My general advice…
    Here's my quick suggestions for you consultation…
    Look for a number of wedding, not just one good wedding. Look at the composition of the photos. Take a good look at group photos, everyone LOVES the photojournalistic poses of the B&G - but they often overlook the group images. You know the one of your whole family that you mom wants not he mantle. Don't get caught up in the still life pics - anyone can put a ring on a heel of a pretty shoe or take a photo of a dress in a window - just tell them you want it.
    Ask about back up cameras. Second shooters. What type of lenses do they prefer and why. How do they deal with lighting. Do they have experience at your venue?
    Do you get the digital rights? Do you get ALL the photos or how many? Are they edited? What does edited mean to them? How big will you be able to print them/ how large will the files be? Turn around time.
    And above all - are you comfortable around them??
    GL! :)

• Options
    photokitty I took most of these questions from a friend. I like the replacement of the one with the posing for non-candid shots. 

About the guest with a camera question, I don't see why that isn't important? Don't we expect photographers to politely ask them to move so they can get the shot? I mean, if I'm paying a lot for a photographer, I would expect them to get the first kiss shot. I mean, I don't know how I would handle it but I'm not a photographer. I would expect a professional photographer, with wedding experience to know what to do to insure they get the shots I paid for. I guess I don't know why it would be consider loaded? (I'm not attacking, just trying to understand)

The full wedding shoots is a great question to include. And thanks for the other added questions.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    For a photographer I would also ask the following:

- how many hours of coverage are included in the price; will the photographer have a second/assistant shooter

- what is their back-up plan (in case of equipment failure, etc.)... should be a no-brainer but I would want to know that they've thought of this

- how many weddings have they shot

- do digital rights include posting online, and do shots posted online have to be watermarked 
  • Options
    My general advice…
    Here's my quick suggestions for you consultation…
    Look for a number of wedding, not just one good wedding. Look at the composition of the photos. Take a good look at group photos, everyone LOVES the photojournalistic poses of the B&G - but they often overlook the group images. You know the one of your whole family that you mom wants not he mantle. Don't get caught up in the still life pics - anyone can put a ring on a heel of a pretty shoe or take a photo of a dress in a window - just tell them you want it.
    Ask about back up cameras. Second shooters. What type of lenses do they prefer and why. How do they deal with lighting. Do they have experience at your venue?
    Do you get the digital rights? Do you get ALL the photos or how many? Are they edited? What does edited mean to them? How big will you be able to print them/ how large will the files be? Turn around time.
    And above all - are you comfortable around them??
    GL! :)
    That is funny, because I don't love the artsy stuff and am mostly interested in good family photos and group photos. I love the portraits and want great family photos. Good additional questions!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It's not a question, but be sure to get a feel for your photographer's personality. Do you actually like them as a person? You'll be spending more time with them than pretty much anybody else on your wedding day.
  • Options

For the DJ: 

Make sure you know what the fee includes, some charge extra for setup and tear down time, or include setup time in the amount of hour you are charged for.

Ask about being able to add in extra hours on site if you think this is even a remote possibility.

As if there is ANYTHING that he/she offers that would be an extra charge.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    photokitty I took most of these questions from a friend. I like the replacement of the one with the posing for non-candid shots. 

About the guest with a camera question, I don't see why that isn't important? Don't we expect photographers to politely ask them to move so they can get the shot? I mean, if I'm paying a lot for a photographer, I would expect them to get the first kiss shot. I mean, I don't know how I would handle it but I'm not a photographer. I would expect a professional photographer, with wedding experience to know what to do to insure they get the shots I paid for. I guess I don't know why it would be consider loaded? (I'm not attacking, just trying to understand)

The full wedding shoots is a great question to include. And thanks for the other added questions.
    I'm always willing to share and discuss on photog stuff. So I never would have thought you were attacking. This is what I do (not weddings so I'm not violating TOS :-p) and am happy to share my professional experience.
    Let me try to clarify…I would be put off by trying to figure out what you expected me to say. I mean do you want me to say I would push them aside, yell at them, walk around them? Worst case scenario they will tell you, "that's why I recommend you tell your guests you are having an 'unplugged' wedding!!" So rude - we don't tell guests who to dress, but photogs think it's ok to tell guests not to take a photo? I think it is an excuse in my industry for lazy self important photogs to justify why they didn't get a shot…when it is rarely the reason.

Here's why I wouldn't have an aster if asked - there are so many variables…
    -Does your venue allow flash, if needed? Lighting will play a lot in your images. So churches do not allow flash at all.
    -Can the photog go up and down the aisle as they please? Some church do not allow the photog in the church and they must shoot front he back.
    -If they photog is not up front and your mom steps into the aisle in front of your photog to take a photo of the kiss what do you want him to do?
    -A photog should not ask people to move during the ceremony. They should move themselves into the spot they need to get the image. By the time they ask the image is gone. Your kiss is over.

The more important factor is cost or quality of the second shooter. Having a sec don shooter almost guarantees you will get at least one good image of all the must have ceremony action shots. You can even ditch the second shoot after the ceremony, the reception is not difficult for a single shooter to cover.

For the kiss - you should hold your kiss for a full 7 seconds. An experienced photog will remind you this on the wedding day. Hold that kiss for an uncomfortably long time - it's awkward, but you best bet for getting that photo. And it's the one everyone wants.

I would suggest asking, have you ever had anyone stand in front of you during the kiss or first dance? What did you?

I was a sports photographer previously and if I could fight my way along a crowded sideline to get a shot competing with other professionals, any photog worth their salt can do the same. The images and equipment are more important than a question like that. Someone doesn't have album after album of quality weddings without dealing with putting themselves in the optimal shooting position. In the same vein, you don't have thousands of dollars in lenses and other equipment if you can't deal with guests. All experienced photogs know guests want to take a pic of the kiss, they know how to be prepared to take it anyway…and they record you pay for the second shooter just in case :)

• Options

Definitely look through many of the photographer's photos to get an idea of their style. I personally MUST have someone who does shots with certain lighting tricks and angles and artistry. See the photos attached (I just did a google search I do not know any of these people). There is a huge difference between the 2 sunsets and I think it's obvious which everyone would prefer. The one in the field also looks obvious to me which was taken by a photographer and which looks like any 12 year old with a camera snapped it. If you look through their album and think "I could take ones like that" then walk away! lol

• Options

I'm always willing to share and discuss on photog stuff. So I never would have thought you were attacking. This is what I do (not weddings so I'm not violating TOS :-p) and am happy to share my professional experience.
    Let me try to clarify…I would be put off by trying to figure out what you expected me to say. I mean do you want me to say I would push them aside, yell at them, walk around them? Worst case scenario they will tell you, "that's why I recommend you tell your guests you are having an 'unplugged' wedding!!" So rude - we don't tell guests who to dress, but photogs think it's ok to tell guests not to take a photo? I think it is an excuse in my industry for lazy self important photogs to justify why they didn't get a shot…when it is rarely the reason.

Here's why I wouldn't have an aster if asked - there are so many variables…
    -Does your venue allow flash, if needed? Lighting will play a lot in your images. So churches do not allow flash at all.
    -Can the photog go up and down the aisle as they please? Some church do not allow the photog in the church and they must shoot front he back.
    -If they photog is not up front and your mom steps into the aisle in front of your photog to take a photo of the kiss what do you want him to do?
    -A photog should not ask people to move during the ceremony. They should move themselves into the spot they need to get the image. By the time they ask the image is gone. Your kiss is over.

The more important factor is cost or quality of the second shooter. Having a sec don shooter almost guarantees you will get at least one good image of all the must have ceremony action shots. You can even ditch the second shoot after the ceremony, the reception is not difficult for a single shooter to cover.

For the kiss - you should hold your kiss for a full 7 seconds. An experienced photog will remind you this on the wedding day. Hold that kiss for an uncomfortably long time - it's awkward, but you best bet for getting that photo. And it's the one everyone wants.

I would suggest asking, have you ever had anyone stand in front of you during the kiss or first dance? What did you?

I was a sports photographer previously and if I could fight my way along a crowded sideline to get a shot competing with other professionals, any photog worth their salt can do the same. The images and equipment are more important than a question like that. Someone doesn't have album after album of quality weddings without dealing with putting themselves in the optimal shooting position. In the same vein, you don't have thousands of dollars in lenses and other equipment if you can't deal with guests. All experienced photogs know guests want to take a pic of the kiss, they know how to be prepared to take it anyway…and they record you pay for the second shooter just in case :)
    thank you for the response! I appreciate your perspective and opinion :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards