Getting in Shape

I can't walk right after this work out.

MollyandDMollyandD member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited March 2014 in Getting in Shape
I'm on day 3 of Tracy Anderson's DVD set. I have been sore since yesterday, but continued to do the full workout. I sat on the couch to enjoy my snow day when the work out was over. I got up to make lunch, and my calf muscles have never been so sore! I feel like I'm walking like a raptor with a limp. I have worked out before (boot camps, gyms, DVDs, etc.), but let myself slack. I've worked out my calves before, but nothing compares to this. I'm so glad it's a snow day. There's no way I could teach my 4th graders like this.

Re: I can't walk right after this work out.

• Two words.  Foam roller.  It hurts like hell but it works like a charm.

• I've seen those at the store. Do you just lay on it and roll it back and forth? I may be making a massage appointment soon.
  • Here is an exercise for your calves...http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/ss/FoamRoller_6.htm

There are different foam rollers and there is a range of firmness plus smooth vs bumped/ribbed kind (these hurt more). You can also buy a body stick that you can use to work out kinks, but I usually just use my rolling pin.

• Hmm, I may need to add this to my growing home gym collection.
  • Should it be so sore? I mean, if Tracy Anderson were in your home, and she saw that she was causing you to limp LIKE A RAPTOR, would she keep pushing you?

I keep thinking that I should switch to an actual trainer, since all the training DVDs I try seem so far above my fitness level, and make me weep. Surely a real trainer would tailor a session to where I'm at, and realise that there's no way I'm going to be able to wobble through 25 burpies.

But then, there's this horrifying thought- what if I sign up for a trainer, and they are JUST LIKE THEY ARE IN THE VIDEOS? Only, in real life, they can actually see every time I flop onto the couch in between starjumps. And they can punish me for it... 

• Should it be so sore? I mean, if Tracy Anderson were in your home, and she saw that she was causing you to limp LIKE A RAPTOR, would she keep pushing you?

I keep thinking that I should switch to an actual trainer, since all the training DVDs I try seem so far above my fitness level, and make me weep. Surely a real trainer would tailor a session to where I'm at, and realise that there's no way I'm going to be able to wobble through 25 burpies.

But then, there's this horrifying thought- what if I sign up for a trainer, and they are JUST LIKE THEY ARE IN THE VIDEOS? Only, in real life, they can actually see every time I flop onto the couch in between starjumps. And they can punish me for it... 

I think when it comes to DVD workouts you need to listen to your body.  I just started the Insanity workout and I certainly am not keeping up with Shawn T or others in the video.  When I get tired or out of breath or I feel like my arms may fall off I stop, I don't keep going.  My calves have been bothering me (sore and tight) for the past few days.  I just keep stretching and rolling them out but I also know the difference between sore and being in actual pain.  I know that if I workout and my calves are just "screaming" at me the entire time I know that I should stop and take a day or two off from exercise, but when they are just sore, after about 5 minutes of warm-up they no longer are sore because the muscles have been stretched and the tightness is gone.

I think the good thing about a PT is that they can adjust you as you complete your exercises because form is very important to prevent injury.  They will probably push you passed what you think you can handle because they know that your body can handle more then your brain thinks it can.  But they will also make sure that you are doing everything correctly, as opposed to a DVD.  I know that when I workout with others and attend classes I tend to not quit quite as quickly as I would at home because I don't want people looking at me like I am a loser.  So I think when you have a PT you would probably surprise yourself as to how hard you can push it before wanting to die :)

• It didn't hurt during the work out like that, or I wouldn't have been able to do it. This was the sore from after. Anyway, it's getting much easier now, and I'm less than a week in. I know it'll keep getting better. I'm just going to keep up with what I'm doing.
  • MollyandDMollyandD member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    Should it be so sore? I mean, if Tracy Anderson were in your home, and she saw that she was causing you to limp LIKE A RAPTOR, would she keep pushing you?

I think when it comes to DVD workouts you need to listen to your body.  I just started the Insanity workout and I certainly am not keeping up with Shawn T or others in the video.  When I get tired or out of breath or I feel like my arms may fall off I stop, I don't keep going.  My calves have been bothering me (sore and tight) for the past few days.  I just keep stretching and rolling them out but I also know the difference between sore and being in actual pain.  I know that if I workout and my calves are just "screaming" at me the entire time I know that I should stop and take a day or two off from exercise, but when they are just sore, after about 5 minutes of warm-up they no longer are sore because the muscles have been stretched and the tightness is gone.

I think the good thing about a PT is that they can adjust you as you complete your exercises because form is very important to prevent injury.  They will probably push you passed what you think you can handle because they know that your body can handle more then your brain thinks it can.  But they will also make sure that you are doing everything correctly, as opposed to a DVD.  I know that when I workout with others and attend classes I tend to not quit quite as quickly as I would at home because I don't want people looking at me like I am a loser.  So I think when you have a PT you would probably surprise yourself as to how hard you can push it before wanting to die :)

I agree with everything you said. If I'm hurting during a workout, I know when to rest. The soreness I felt didn't occur until after. To be honest, I like being sore because it means I did something worth being sore over. It's not like I pulled muscles or was careless. And with classes... I took boot camp classes and the peer pressure made me do more than I thought I could. I use that memory now when I work out alone.
  •  To be honest, I like being sore because it means I did something worth being sore over. It's not like I pulled muscles or was careless. And with classes... I took boot camp classes and the peer pressure made me do more than I thought I could. I use that memory now when I work out alone.
    That's the important distinction- sore because you did something good for yourself! Not sore like a hangover (which I'm hoping to cut out altogether this year!) I'm trying to get myself into that space, where I can celebrate the soreness, because it means I'm growing and getting stronger.

You ladies are all an inspiration to me.
  • After I do my weight training, I like to do a few sun salutations after. They aren't very hard to do, and they stretch you out really good.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:
    After I do my weight training, I like to do a few sun salutations after. They aren't very hard to do, and they stretch you out really good.

I need to get better about stretching. I have been improving that though. My body is also used to the work out, after a couple weeks, and I'm rarely sore now.
  • I had my first session with a personal trainer last night (which was AMAZING!) and I think I now understand what you mean about the 'sore in a good way' thing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards