Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Ring Bearer was asked to be in wedding six months ago - now couple changed their mind - he's out???

A little boy member of the groom's family was asked to be ring bearer back in Sept. 2013 at the couples engagement dinner.  We were all thrilled.

Six months later and four months before the wedding they kicked him out.

The did say he could walk down the aisle, but by no means be at the reception or not even the rehersal dinner.

The reason - they have a few depending on the wedding couple's mood and day.

Their reasons: are my (the bride) cousins will be upset seeing a child at the wedding, when it's adults only. But, I guess seeing him walk down the aisle they wouldn't notice.

Or we are cutting costs - but children his age would be free - so that makes no sense.

Or we simply changed our minds (six months later) and that is our decision and you have to respect it.

Or when we first asked we got caught up in all the excitement and then we just changed our minds.

What are some of your thoughts to this situation?

Best Answers

Re: Ring Bearer was asked to be in wedding six months ago - now couple changed their mind - he's out???

• Options
    I asked for my niece and nephew to participate in the ceremony if they choose, but not attend the reception, however it was made clear from the start that we would be providing a baby sitter at the venue to watch them after the ceremony.  

If they originally offered for the children to be included in everything than it is very rude to change their minds and the parents should feel free to decline their invitation as well. 

Unfortunately you cannot force them to allow the children or change their rude behavior.
  • Options
    They are rude.  But there really isn't much that can be done.  But if I were the parents of this kid I would be declining the invitation.

• Options
    A little boy member of the groom's family was asked to be ring bearer back in Sept. 2013 at the couples engagement dinner.  We were all thrilled.

Six months later and four months before the wedding they kicked him out.

The did say he could walk down the aisle, but by no means be at the reception or not even the rehersal dinner.

The reason - they have a few depending on the wedding couple's mood and day.

Their reasons: are my (the bride) cousins will be upset seeing a child at the wedding, when it's adults only. But, I guess seeing him walk down the aisle they wouldn't notice.

Or we are cutting costs - but children his age would be free - so that makes no sense.

Or we simply changed our minds (six months later) and that is our decision and you have to respect it.

Or when we first asked we got caught up in all the excitement and then we just changed our minds.

What are some of your thoughts to this situation?

It's incredibly rude and insulting to ask someone to be in the WP and then kick them out, so whoever did this (sounds like it was you?) is wrong, wrong, wrong and should feel very badly.

This is why you don't ask people in the heat of the moment - you wait until closer to the wedding and make sure you know what you want.

You (or whoever the offender is) need to apologize profusely to these people for your rudeness.  Yesterday.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with @grumbledore.  Only allowing kids to be in the ceremony and not attend the reception is basically you using them as props rather then really caring about them.

• Options
    It's rude and cruel to the poor kid.
  • Options
    That's extremely rude. 
  • Options
    It is rude to do that to anyone but there is something especially awful and heartless about doing that to a poor kid. If I were the boy's parents I would not be going to that wedding. Actually if I were another guest at the wedding and heard they did that to anyone's kid I wouldn't be going.
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    It is rude to do that to anyone but there is something especially awful and heartless about doing that to a poor kid. If I were the boy's parents I would not be going to that wedding. Actually if I were another guest at the wedding and heard they did that to anyone's kid I wouldn't be going.
    Agreed.  I would definitely decline this rude couple's wedding.  Scar my kid at your peril.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I asked for my niece and nephew to participate in the ceremony if they choose, but not attend the reception, however it was made clear from the start that we would be providing a baby sitter at the venue to watch them after the ceremony.  

If they originally offered for the children to be included in everything than it is very rude to change their minds and the parents should feel free to decline their invitation as well. 

Unfortunately you cannot force them to allow the children or change their rude behavior.
    Poor etiquette. you are using them as props then. Anyone who has been asked to be a "role" in the wedding should ABSOLUTELY be invited to the reception..and NOT in the babysitting section
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    I agree. Kids get sooooo excited about being in weddings. To be told you are in it, then kicked out could be devastating to a little kid. That person is shitty..My guess is they wanted the kid to be a prop, but was one of those "no kids at my wedding" people. Somebody probably pointed out their bad etiquette, so instead kicked him out instead of invite him to the reception. rude rude rude

btw, you didn't pay for a tux or anything ? if so, i'd ask to get it reimbursed for sure
  • Options
    As hurtful as it would be to be kicked out of a wedding party as an adult, it would be 100 times worse to a kid. That's tantamount to telling them "I don't love you anymore". How mean!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    I can only imagine how upset this little boy is. He had such a big role and now he's basically nothing...
  • Options
    Thank you everyone who has replied so far, I really appreciate your comments and support in thinking this is rude and wrong.

We are not trying to get him to be back into the WP, we just can't believe that they are being so rude and they claim they love him.  Actions don't match their words at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards