Second Weddings
Options

Feeling cursed

A few weeks before my previous wedding, my ex's father got into a serious motorcycle accident. He was in a coma and suffered from massive physical trauma. We ended up having the wedding as planned, because the doctors couldn't tell us if or when he would wake up (or what condition he would be in then). A lot of people complained about our decision and ended up not coming to the wedding. Fortunately, fences were mended. Ex-FIL did end up coming out of the coma within two months, and was able to mostly get back to normal.

Fast-forward eight years. In ten days, I will be marrying Mr. Right. Two weeks ago, we found out that fiance's estranged father was given a week to live. My fiance made plans to go spend the last few days with his father, but unfortunately father died the night before my fiance arrived. Obviously, we were both upset. But since they didn't really have a relationship for the past 20 years, it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Night before last, I got a message from my own father that my mom was in the hospital. She was bleeding internally, and doctors were having a hard time locating the cause. She got moved to the ICU and has had 4 blood transfusions. Fortunately, they have gotten her stabilized and were able to do more conclusive tests. She is being transferred to another hospital today, where they are better equipped to handle her upcoming surgery.

I know it's not my fault. But I keep having this feeling that someone somewhere doesn't think I deserve happiness. I've overcome a lot in my life, and I generally forgive myself for the mistakes I've made. Yes, I have also worked hard so that others can forgive me for the mistakes I've made. My life is completely different from what it used to be. But maybe I am not giving enough yet?

Re: Feeling cursed

• Options
    Btw, we have until Monday the 24th to decide if we need to postpone the wedding.
  • Options
    Maybe this is just a premarital test to see how you guys will handle the tough situations down the road. Sounds like you are being very supportive of each other and the other's family. Don't let this discourage you, if you decided to postpone the wedding, your guests will all understand. Best wishes for your mom for a quick recovery & for you for a lifetime of happiness with Mr. Right.
  • Options
    Not only am I sorry for what you have/are going through, Im also so sorry that you are questioning whether you deserve happiness/goodness.  :( I too have questioned this. Since our engagement 15 months ago, its been "hell" more then its been joyful...and it has basically come from "outside" our relationship. Family/church drama/illness etc. At my "weakest" I feel undeserving and will even pathetically think "well who the heck was I fooling...from where I come from I should have never wanted, expected the goodness." BUT at my strongest, I tend to believe this: (not radical or holy rolling) The "evil" one wants nothing more then to take our joy from us. The farther away from peace, happiness, joy and faith we get, then 'it" has done "its" job and is rejoicing. The worse/darker we feel about our selves, the more empowered the "evil" one is. Nothing about darkness is light/life.

I don't know you or your faith, and I don't mean to "preach" but to share light/hope and lift your spirits.  We are "promised" goodness. When things get me so "down" and I start to do that "itty bitty shitty committee" thinking, I grab onto a scripture that has "saved me" many times...and quite recently. Jeremiah 29:11. "11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." 

Unfortunate things/bad things happen to good people....grab a hold of this promise... joy/light. Don't "buy into" you don't deserve happiness. It will rob you of those moments. If you decide to postpone, its your decision for the right reasons. If you don't postpone, its your decision for the right reasons. In either case, do what is best for you and fiance because you deserve that. Congrats on your Mr. Right and blessings for many years of happiness. Healing mercies for you Mom's quick recovery.

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards