Just Engaged and Proposals

Re: removed

• The easiest way to avoid conflict diamonds is to buy Canadian diamonds, which are mined in northern Canada.  They are somewhat more expensive, but the ones I looked at all had ideal or very good cut, which also makes them more expensive. 

If my FI had followed the diamond industry's ridiculous 2 month's salary guideline, he would have spent an obscene amount of money, but he actually spent just over $1200 for the bridal set, and which I love.  As far as I'm concerned, size is NOT an indicator of how much your SO loves you.
  • There is a cynical tone to your post which puts me off a bit, OP.  I am not sure why you posted this.
    The fact that you went shopping at Tiffany's makes me wonder about your sincerity.  Tiffany's is one of the most expensive jewelry stores in the USA.  If you were concerned about your budget, you could have selected a small, independent jeweler and seen things that were closer to your price range.
    When I worked in the jewelry industry many years ago, we would quietly ask the budget of the prospective couple, and then suggest things within their price range, including alternative stones.  I did not recommend synthetic stones because they do not generally hold their value as well as natural stones.  Sapphire, amethyst, and garnet make interesting rings.
    You would probably agree with my (unmarried) son, who told me, "Mom, I don't understand jewelry, except that it works."  As long as humans have been on earth, they have prized decorations.  Jewelry has been found in almost all intact ancient tombs.  You are not going to convince anyone here of the futility of symbolic jewelry.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014

@abiding345 likes to post and then pouts and DDs them immediately when she doesn't get the answer she wants.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards