Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Need help decorating a massive(kind of ugly) ceiling

Hey ladies,

I'm getting married in August at the same reception hall my parents were married at in the 80's. That being said, it hasn't been updated since the 80's and, although I love the place, I'm looking to play down some of the venues "nostalgic" elements. The ceiling in the round ballroom massive(60FT across) and I'm not sure how to tackle it. We were told we can't hang anything that would leave a hole anywhere...so...any ideas?

PS - I think we'll go with uplighting on the walls because peach and aqua aren't my thing.

Thanks!
C. 

Re: Need help decorating a massive(kind of ugly) ceiling

• Options
    Trying to hide something that you don't like is like putting lipstick on a pig, it will just draw more attention to the thing that you don't want to highlight.

All the weddings I have ever been to (which is about 25 or so) I have never once looked up at the ceiling.  Ever.

Once the lights are dimmed down and your uplighting on the ceiling will disappear.

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    agree with maggie.  Often trying to hid something actually draws attention.

Unless you have an unlimited budget and can have someone custom make frames so you can do some draping and lighting i would just leave it alone.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    That totally makes sense. I think it's easy to walk into a big empty room and think "wow, that's a hideous ceiling," but I doubt anyone would be looking up there anyway.

Thanks for the advice, ladies :)
  • Options
    caruperto said:
    Hey ladies,

I'm getting married in August at the same reception hall my parents were married at in the 80's. That being said, it hasn't been updated since the 80's and, although I love the place, I'm looking to play down some of the venues "nostalgic" elements. The ceiling in the round ballroom massive(60FT across) and I'm not sure how to tackle it. We were told we can't hang anything that would leave a hole anywhere...so...any ideas?

PS - I think we'll go with uplighting on the walls because peach and aqua aren't my thing.

Thanks!
    C. 
    I would do the uplighting and maybe see if you can either do a color wash on the ceiling or do a projector with a starry night or something that would be helped and not hindered by the texture.

How romantic to have your reception at the same place as your parents!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree, I wouldn't worry about the ceiling, what people will remember is the food, the music, the service and how much fun they had. They will pay attention to the table decorations, but unless you have something very unique, they won't remember what your centerpieces were two days later.
  • Options
    Material.  Perhaps you could do a parachute ceiling.
    imageimage
    Or even balloons
    imageimage

• Options
    I think the room is beautiful. If it's an evening reception, I wouldn't bother with the ceiling and just dim the lights and do uplighting.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I do tend to look up at ceilings at weddings if they are nice because I like chandeliers and the architecture that is sometimes on ceilings. I don't think there is anything wrong with the ceiling in that venue though. Uplighting on the walls and dimming the lights is going to pretty much make it not noticeable at all though.
  • Options
    Uplighting with color splash will probably take care of most of the room, especially with dimmer lights and everything set up... that said, if you're set on doing something talk to some professionals about hanging lightweight tulle swags from the chandeliers, that's just about all you'd be able to do in that space w/o putting holes in the ceiling.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards