Wedding Reception Forum

The Grand Exit

My fiance and I are on a budget and I'm trying to decide how we will leave the reception.  I'm not thinking we'll drink so much to be sloppy, but I do know we'll drink and driving would not be the smartest thing to do.  I don't want the expense of a limo and don't really think it's needed, but I also don't want a family member to drive us because the ride has the potential to be romantic and that would be awkward.  Does anyone have a suggestions for the grand exit?

Re: The Grand Exit

• I have yet to attend a wedding where a grand exit was made.  Typically the wedded couple has stayed until the lights go "up".  I'm fairly certain my daughter and SIL took the shuttle back to the hotel with the other guests still at the reception.  

Catching a short ride back to a hotel or your home should not be a big deal.
  • H & I were driven back to our house by my MOH, in addition to her parents, MOH's H, and another BM.  H & I laugh at our ride home with fond memories, my MOH's dad - who is quite the character, was making up his own lyrics to a song on the radio.  I'll spare you the lyrics, but they were hilarious! 

The romance of the evening will be there regardless, because when you get to your house/hotel room, etc., it will be just the two of you for the first time all night!  Also, your wedding day will be very tiring, so any romantic feelings may not get acted upon until the next morning after you have both crashed from exhaustion!

• vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    how far do you have to go?  You can rent a car rather then a limo, or just ask someone.   I don't see how a car ride would be ackward?  You just will have spent the last 4-5 hours with all your wedding guests, you can't wait an extra short drive before getting "romantic" ?
  • mobkaz said:
    I have yet to attend a wedding where a grand exit was made.  Typically the wedded couple has stayed until the lights go "up".  I'm fairly certain my daughter and SIL took the shuttle back to the hotel with the other guests still at the reception.  

Catching a short ride back to a hotel or your home should not be a big deal.
    Same here.  We stayed till the end and helped pick up everything.  We were driven back to the hotel by my parents.

OP - You're overthinking this.
  • We rented a car with a driver- it was a couple hundred dollars if I recall correctly.  I understand not wanting to drive with anybody else- I left the wedding and I was done with people and definetely in wedding night mode.  It's not impossible to drive back with someone else, of course, it's just not preferred.
  • Rent a car within your budget, ask someone to drive you, or refrain from drinking or being "romantic" so that you can drive yourselves.  Those are your three options.
  • One of our friends drove us back to the hotel. He was a real goofball and acted like a chauffeur, opening the door for us and driving right up to the front door of the hotel. It was actually one of my favorite parts of our wedding.
  • Some limo companies have town cars w/drivers available. They have discount rates because it's a smaller car & short time frame. It's like if you were to book a ride to take you to the airport. Instead of calling & asking for what a companies limo rates are, tell them you just need a pick up from your reception & a ride to your final location. I know the company my husband works for charges $40.00 for an airport run (each way).

• My fiance and I are on a budget and I'm trying to decide how we will leave the reception.  I'm not thinking we'll drink so much to be sloppy, but I do know we'll drink and driving would not be the smartest thing to do.  I don't want the expense of a limo and don't really think it's needed, but I also don't want a family member to drive us because the ride has the potential to be romantic and that would be awkward.  Does anyone have a suggestions for the grand exit?

This gave  me a chuckle. Any romance in a car would be awkward. To me, this sounds like horny 16 years olds, getting it on in the car since mom and dad are home.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I changed my mind. I think you should ask someone to drive you home in a pick up truck. That way you and H can get "romantic" in the bed of the truck. Plenty of room!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You can hire a car and driver for ~$200/hr for something basic like a town car.  We used a vintage Rolls Royce for our grand exit.  We got some awesome pictures with it before we left.  I'm very glad we splurged a little on it. 
  • I have never seen a grand exit, either. And I agree with Kat and Maggie that not being able to wait until you're alone to get romantic is more horny teenager than married adult. It's your wedding, not Prom. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I don't think she's saying she'll get it on in the car, jeez, but I can totally see wanting the ride back to be private and quiet.  I wouldn't want my Dad turning around saying "hey that cake was great, I didn't know your Aunt Marjie was going to do blahblah".  If I weren't staying where I'm getting married, I certainly wouldn't want my family members to drive me to the hotel. I'd opt to drive myself or get a towncar. On that note, my friend had the same feeling for her wedding and she disclosed afterwards she probably shouldn't have driven them back to the hotel because she was so exhausted. Although if it cost $200 it wouldn't be a priority for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards