Attire & Accessories Forum

too FAT to FIT :( HELP

so, I may be too fat to fit in my dress..... HELP. I got my dress a little earlier than I should have due to the PERFECT price along with the PERFECT fit and it was the last of it's kind for the year. When I tried it on in the salon, I was wearing my corset and slip. I could zip it up all the way in the salon, but we decided we needed to get it taken out a bit because the top two inches were a little tight-fit. Well, about 6 or 7 months after we purchased it, I tried it on again at home to show the bridesmaids (and grandma, lol). I only had a few minutes to throw it on, so we skipped over the corset and slip. It wouldn't zip more than 5 inches from the top! Given, I didn't have my corset and slip on, and (sorry gentlemen) I was on my time of the month when I tried it on, so I wasn't exactly my normal size. My fitting is at the end of May and I'm really nervous. Do you think the corset could have affected it that much? I haven't gotten a chance to weigh myself in a long time because my scale has been broken, but I don't think I've gained too much considering my other clothes still fit the same as they used to. I'm honestly confused and really nervous about this upcoming fitting. A new dress is seriously not an option. Do you think I would fit if I had my slip and corset on, and if I was my normal, non-bloated size? If not, can they take it out as much as I need them to? Please help, I'm out of options here!

Re: too FAT to FIT :( HELP

• First, don't panic.  Second, try on your dress with your corset and slip so you absolutely know if those do have an affect on how the dress fits.

As for how much they can take it out, well it really depends on the style of the dress and what fabric it is made out of.  Typically there is more fabric available if it is a satin dress while if it is lace/chiffon there really isn't a lot of seam to work with.

But first take the time to try it on with everything and then go from there.

Also, I am not a big fan of diets, but in the mean time (just in case and if you aren't already) start watching what you eat, keep to portion sizes and decrease your carb intake (not completely but just by a little).  Also if you aren't currently working out then start.  Even just walking would do wonders.  Finally, drink lots of water to keep from getting bloated.

If it helps when I bought my dress the sample I tried on was a tad bit big (probably from stretching out) so we ordered the size I tried on.  When it came in the zipper was about 6 inches from the top.  I just started watching what I ate and worked out.  By the time my fittings came around it fit perfectly.  So I know what you are going through.

• The material is satin.
    I have started working out, which has made a slight difference, but I've only got until July and I don't think I've got enough time to lose a ton. 
    Beside the point, is water supposed to help you feel not so bloated? I drink water like a plant and I seem to feel more bloated because of it. LOL Things are not working the way they should be around here! 
  • Okay well then you should have a bit of wiggle room.  Also, if things don't work out great once you have your first fitting, you could always consider having a corset back added to your dress to replace the zipper.  Typically corset backs give you some flexibility in regards to weight gain/loss. At least it could be an option.

Salt is what makes you feel bloated because salt helps to retain water.  If you feel bloated a lot you can always look for an anti-bloat medicine at the drug store.  Typically PMS type medication have anti-bloat in them.

Just keep up your working out and eat a bit cleaner and don't stress too much about it until you have your first fitting.  I find that stressing will just make things worse, especially if you are a stress eater.

But give your dress a try on with all your undergarments and see how it feels.

• Thank you very much for your help and advice. A corset back would be seriously beautiful with my dress and I may do that anyways (depending on how expensive it would be!) I didn't think of that before. Thanks girl. :)
  • Depending on your area and seamstress a corset conversion would cost roughly 150 plus the corset kit.
  • @wiggsaj - You're welcome and good luck! Take a pic at your fitting and share it on here. We always love looking at pretty dresses.

• Ladies. I called my seamstress and asked about the alterations of replacing the zipper with the corset. She said it would be roughly 195, which seems crazy, but its $100 less than what we expected with the altering we had to do to the zipper already, so we left room in the budget. Not to mention, the only part of the dress that I really did not love was the zipper because it was so obvious (you'll see what I mean when I post the photos!). I was so excited that I almost told FI about the whole idea, which would have ruined the whole surprise, because he has no idea the type of dress I have LOL Thank you for the idea Maggie, and I will post photos ASAP.
  • @Maggie0829 has great ideas. I have a corset back that I love. It is pretty and allows weight change. One weigh loss recommendation I have is to eat more throughout the day, but smaller and healthier portions. Snacking on fruit, berries, or almonds is working for me. I'm sure you are working out already, but jut remember to keep making that a priority.
  • OP, you can do it!!! I can't agree more with what Maggie said about the eating better.  I find that salt is the biggest contributor to bloat and a good thirty minutes of sweating works wonders on the bloat!  Also don't be afraid to pmp some iron, it will help you burn calories long after you leave the gym!
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I'm a bit worried about my dress myself!  I tried it on when it came in and it's snug in the hip area.  It is a corset though, so it was no problem closing it up, i'm more concerned with sitting and moving in it!  I tried it on early January and will go in next week for my first fitting.  I have never been one to diet but i stopped drinking soda and sugery drinks and pretty much drink water only durning the day.  I've just made small changes to my diet and get to the gym when I can.   I haven't weighed myself recently but did notice at least a couple pounds lost last time i did.  good luck!!    
  • Many sales peep told me that they go by bust size. I was told I had to get a plus size...24 BUT my waist was a 16!!!  WHAT! I couldnt even figured out how the heck they were going to take in a gown 8 sizes! Especially when I knew 2 maybe 3 max! Not many stores around here carry plus and only 1 had gowns I could try on (3 in all). They were horrendous and needless to say, each one looked like a big tent from bust down! I was shown pics of different gowns and given the option of ordering what I liked! Without trying it on! :/  I didnt know what I was going to do! I actually started researching how to spot reduce the boobies...in between crying! ;)

One day I stopped into a bridal boutique, I have passed everyday for 3 years. It didnt come up under a "plus size" carrier but I figured what the hey!!! Well, the owner is my forever HERO! At first I thought she was nuts when she handed me 16's! I wiggled into the first one and I loved it! I tried on 13 gowns and when I put MINE on, I cried (just like those reality shows)! She explained that all she had to do is take the zipper out of any size 16 and put a corset in, which is exactly what I wanted anyway!!!! Yahoooo!!!!!  Afterwards, of course I wondered how many "perfect" gowns I had missed because I was told I needed a 24 but then I realized, I have my perfect! To add wonderful to fabulous, she offered to took $500.00 off if I purchased it by that Friday! I jumped on it 2 days early (after my son cried when he saw me in it)!  You gotta love those corsets!!!! :)

I do wonder though, how many women miss out on different designs/choices because the industry goes by bust/chest size!

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • @LAM2228 - typically a gown should be ordered at the largest size whether that be the bust or the hips or the waist.  The reason why you were able to order the 16 and not the 24 is solely because the seamstress is going to replace your zipper with a corset.  If you had wanted a zipper you would have had to order a dress that fit your bust, not your waist size because you would have needed the dress to actually fit your bust because they cannot take out a dress that many sizes because there just is not enough fabric.

• Yes @Maggie0829...It worked out perfectly!! :) Im just so happy the 16's were presented as option! I had communicated my only desire was a corset back when I spoke to other sales people but nobody approached it from the size 16.  Can you really get a gown taken in 8 sizes? If so, wouldnt it have to be such a plain gown or else you'd lose detail?

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • Ya know, the truth is, it hasnt even been done yet! I may be back here in a few weeks crying! :/

• Seamstresses are miracle workers.  They can do a lot with dresses to make them fit right.  There have been a few episodes of SYTTD where brides have lost a significant amount of weight and they have to take their dresses in quite a few sizes.  It can be done but to have it done right it would cost quite a bit of money.  And no it doesn't necessarily have to be a plain/simple gown, but the more bead work or embellishments it has the more costly it will be to alter.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards