Ohio-Columbus
Options

Need help with cake selection please!

I'm horribly indecisive so I was hoping someone had some input to help me with the wedding cake decision :)

We have it narrowed down to two bakeries -- Our CupCakery and Scrumptious Crumbs.  We also sampled Alice's Piece of Cake and The Cake Studio but didn't enjoy their cakes as much.

Our CupCakery is cheaper, but has a few negative reviews where cakes did not turn out as they should have or were delivered late.  Scrumptious Crumbs has nothing but glowing reviews.  We enjoyed our meetings and tastings with both groups.

The biggest difference is that Our CupCakery is cheaper...

Our CupCakery - per serving includes tiered cake, sheet cakes, 2 gluten free cupcakes, setup, and delivery
*2 tier cake is $3.48 per serving (132 servings)
*3 tier c ake is $3.80 per serving (132 servings)
*4 tier cake is $4.70 per serving (132 servings)

Scrumptious Crumbs - per serving price includes tiered cake, sheet cakes, setup, and delivery (cupcakes would add $5 total, so negligable)
*2 tier cake is $4.04 per serving (126 servings)
*3 tier cake is $4.09 per serving (138 servings)
*4 tier cake is $4.56 per serving (130 servings)

I'm leaning towards a 3 tier cake.  When I think back to all the weddings I have been to, I cannot remember a single wedding cake.  There are only a few pictures of the cake typically.  So I cannot come up with any reason to splurge on a big 4 tier cake, even though they are beautiful.  I want my cake to be frosted in an ivory buttercream with a white buttercream lace design that is heavier at the top and lighter towards the bottom (like my dress) with a light champagne fondant bow and white fondant buttons up the back.  My worry is that if I do a 2 tier wedding cake, there won't be enough space to really get my design.  So that's where I arrived at a 3-tier cake. 

I like both cakes and people equally.  The few negative reviews at Our CupCakery worries me a bit, but is that enough to justify paying more to get someone with a spotless record? Any thoughts on 2-tier versus 3-tier?

Re: Need help with cake selection please!

• Options
    Well are you saving your top tier of your cake for yourselves to take home and eat 1 year later? Also, how many people are you having at your wedding versus servings on your cake and the need for sheet cakes? That's where Justin and I got to thinking for our cake, we both don't want to save our top tier, we would rather cut the top tier and serve it and have people enjoy it than us try and save it for a year down the road and it be all nasty in the end and wish we would of served it and save a bit of money that way too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Hi there,

I wouldn't think too much into the negative reviews of Our Cupcakery, especially if it is only a few. You can't please everybody 100% of the time. If you had a good rapport with them, I would stick with your gut. 

I am using Our Cupcakery for my wedding in September and I'm so excited! I've purchased cakes from them before and they always do an outstanding job. The cakes are always tasty and beautifully decorated. Also, Laura rocks! She is so good at understanding what I am trying to tell her and then creating what I had envisioned into a cake.

Also, my fiance has gluten allergies - their gluten free cakes are actually good too. Sometimes gluten free tastes horrible.

Definitely go for Our Cupcakery!

• Options
    Hi! Either way, we're getting gluten free cupcakes for a few people at the wedding from Our CupCakery because they are delicious!! Each of the two options had things we liked more than the other so it ended up being about a 50/50 split in terms of what we liked.

We're expecting 125-150 people at the wedding and we are cutting and serving the top tier of the cake. I think it is a ridiculous notion to save a cake in a freezer for over a year and eat it later. We plan to just get an anniversary cake -- both bakeries provide one free!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards