Wedding Reception Forum

Friday or Sunday Wedding??

Wondering what every ones thoughts are on having a wedding on Friday or Sunday?  We are planning for next spring but running into issues already with Saturday dates. We have a lot of people traveling from out of town, most are flying. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Re: Friday or Sunday Wedding??

• There is nothing wrong with a Friday or a Sunday wedding, but there will be some people who might not be able to make it because of work commitments.  Friday is bad if you are Jewish, or expect many Jewish guests.  Sunday will mean that most of your oot guests will have to take off Monday to return home.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • blabla89blabla89 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    Agree with what PP said. Some people will find a non-Saturday wedding inconvenient and not come because of it.

I recently asked over on the Etiquette board about a Friday vs. Saturday wedding, and the general consensus is that Friday is generally inconvenient for OOT guests, especially those flying in, unless maybe you start the wedding later in the evening.

ETA: Based on the feedback I got from the ladies on the E board, we decided to make a Saturday date work because we really want to make it easy for our guests to get here, even though Friday would have been simpler for us.

ETA (again): line breaks
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It's a know-your-crowd thing. We had a lot of international guests. They were traveling for more than a couple days regardless. We are also in the food industry so Monday is a day off for many of our friends. So Sunday made the most sense for us. WIth that said, our wedding was over by 10 pm - it was not a late night crazy party like a Saturday can be if that's important to you. The trouble with Friday is people needing to get to your wedding after work. 

Check with your VIPs and go from there.
  • It really depends on whether you are okay with a smaller turn out. Saturdays are definitely more convenient for OOT guests. Our wedding will be on a Monday which is SUPER inconvenient for OOT guests (which, most of our guest list is) but the date was significant and important enough for us to be prepared to accept the fact that our turn-out that will be lower (although, from what we're hearing and seeing from our friends and family is actually quite surprising for turn-out.... yay teacher friends/family! Haha).

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• I don't drink so since partying/ being hungover is not an issue for me, I'd rather go to a Sunday wedding than have to leave work early on a Friday. But if you have a lot of drinkers, they would prefer Friday.  I don't think it matters for OOT since they will have to take a day off either way.

Why aren't Saturdays working for you? The places we saw all had a Saturday evening minimum which was DOUBLE what we planned- but they didn't have a minimum for Satuday afternoon. So that worked perfect for us- starts at 2:30pm with full dinner at 4 and dancing til 8 and no minimum. Ask around about that!

• We're doing Sunday May 25th. It's perfect because the next day is a holiday for a lot of people. We also got a huge discount from our venue for booking a Sunday wedding. Sunday's don't work so well if Monday isn't a holiday though. :)
  •    Weddings any day of the week are fine with me. Ours is on a Monday (destination wedding). Whether I come or not depends on what else I have going, just like it would with a Saturday wedding, in fact, I personally am more likely to have a conflict on a Saturday than other days. 

I speak, however, as a person who has a flexible work schedule and lots of vacation time. Not everyone is so lucky.
  • I'd go for a  Sunday midday wedding.
    People usually bail Friday nights and don't usually want to request the day off from work, especially if they have to travel. Your guests can have the weekend to travel and Sunday evening to depart.

• vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    We are having a Friday wedding, but it's a holiday weekend (monday is the holiday) and we have very few out of town guests, but they plan on making a trip out of it, not just flying in for the day. (and a small wedding in general)   I checked with my closest friends and family before booking and they didn't have any problems since most already had a 1/2 day on that Friday.   If it wasn't a holiday weekend, I don't think I would have done it on a Friday night, but it worked out fo us. 
  • Wondering what every ones thoughts are on having a wedding on Friday or Sunday?  We are planning for next spring but running into issues already with Saturday dates. We have a lot of people traveling from out of town, most are flying. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks
    Personally, I don't care for either of those days as an OOT guest.  A Friday or a Sunday wedding would likely require me to take off a day from work, which I would only do for a close family member's wedding.  Depending on what time your ceremony and reception are, I might be able to leave early and catch a flight home on Sunday.

Not to say that having a Friday or Sunday wedding is rude or anything, but as an OOT guest I prefer Saturday weddings and can more easily attend those.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Are your guests local or OOT?  Neither day is convenient for OOT guests.  I'd say 97% of the weddings I've attended have been on Friday night, but also locally, so they did not pose a problem for me.  As another PP said it's a know-your-crowd question.
  • we had a friday evening wedding and 90% of our guests were OOT whether it was 1hr by car or a plane across the US.  We ran the friday by all of our VIPs and nobody complained. We had nearly 100% acceptance and those who did not come were those that we already knew would not be coming.  No one did not come just because it was on a friday evening.  And those that were flying liked that they had the weekend to relax and hang out with family before going home. 

Yes, maybe some people will not be able to get the day off work but for the most part because that can take the day off will. No matter what day you have a wedding there will always be a guest who just may not be able to make it, and that is OK.

Anniversary
  • We decided on a Friday wedding day. We wanted an intimate setting and are only having family and close friends present. We had a total "invited" count of 90 but only expected 70-75 since it was Friday. Surprisingly, all of the OOT people we thought wouldn't come are actually coming and have reserved their lodging already. People are strange, even the ones you love and think you know well! ;) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards