Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Destination Wedding Invitation Questions?

We have sent out our save-the-dates for our wedding in June 2014. We plan on sending invitations to everyone who received a save-the-date, however, we are afraid some people will feel obligated to attend. How do we let our invited guest know they are invited to attend but not obligated to travel the long distance for the wedding? We just want them to know they are important to us and are welcome and no hard feelings if they cannot attend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Destination Wedding Invitation Questions?

• Options

We did pretty informal STD's and invites (STD's were boarding passes, Invites were Passport Books).  In our invites, we put a note that says "We want to thank all of you for the love and support you have always shown us and we appreciate your support for our upcoming wedding, whether you are able to attend the celebration or will be sending best wishes from home". And on our wedding website we did say something along the lines of, "We know that not all of you will be able to make it to New Orleans for our wedding. Although we would love to celebrate with you, we completely understand and hope you will send us warm thoughts and best wishes from afar on our big day."

If invites are more formal, it's a little bit tougher to write a note in it like we did.  But, you could still add a small "thank you" page/card without really reducing the formality.

Generally, people know that an invitation isn't a mandate to attend.  If they want to attend, they will.  If they can't afford it, they aren't going to sell off their assets because they feel obligated to come. We do have a few people that have been very apologetic that they can't come to my wedding.  I just tell them that I completely understand and knew that having a destination wedding would be prohibitive for many people, but that was a choice we had to make.

• Options
    We are not even inviting people to our wedding in Jamaica but we will be sending save the dates and inviting people to a reception/ more of a "celebration of our marriage" upon our return.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards