Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Is this tacky?

I asked this on another site's message boards and got a really negative response.
My fiance and I are very young, (20) and I'm not too much of a slow, mushy love song type of girl. We're both into the same music and music plays a BIG part in both of our lives so of course, our song choices are very meaningful.

But I'm not sure the "rules" on wedding music to walk down the aisle to. I was thinking of a kind of more upbeat but not too fast song, like Theory of a Deadman's "All Or Nothing" but I might wanna go more along the lines of a Lifehouse song...it's a bit more slower and calmer. The reason I had a negative response was people thought it was a bad idea to use lyrics in a song for the wedding. What do you think? Most of the people attending the wedding are either close family members or people our age and I don't think they'll think it's awkward or weird to have a song like that, but I'm not sure if it's tacky or not. I've only been to one other wedding and they walked down the aisle to "When God Made You" which has lyrics. Just wondering, thanks guys.

Re: Is this tacky?

• Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Are you having a religious ceremony?  If so the officiant might not approve of this idea.  I had to get the poem I want read approved by the chaplain doing our service. 

Personally I think it could be a really cool idea.  Just make sure you are 100% sure of all the lyrics in the song and that they fit the event.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    nicole91nicole91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_this-tacky-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:3a3ed8b5-bccf-4d47-9bc8-3c60d00c0d43Post:07a260fa-69a8-4f4a-8dc3-88dd0e09479d">Re: Is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you having a religious ceremony?  If so the officiant might not approve of this idea.  I had to get the poem I want read approved by the chaplain doing our service.  Personally I think it could be a really cool idea.  Just make sure you are 100% sure of all the lyrics in the song and that they fit the event.
    Posted by mysticl[/QUOTE]

We're both Christians and we're using our own pastor and he doesn't care what we do for it. And yeah, I had that problem with another song, all the lyrics were perfect for except two lines that talked about her leaving him, haha. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you should use whatever songs mean a lot to you guys!

If you are at all worried about how they will *fit*, there are lots of variations of songs... If you want to stay away from lyrics, try searching "YOUR SONG NAME" + "KAREOKE" and you will find lovely instrumental versions of almost any song.

Best of luck
    !
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Do whatever song you want! You don't have to walk down the aisle to classical music. I'm walking down the aisle to Here Comes My Girl by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. If you want your wedding to be upbeat and fun, keep it so!!
    November Siggy Challenge: Favorite On Screen Couple
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My DD walked down the aisle to "God Bless the Broken Road" and no one ran from the ceremony clutching their pearls.  =)

Use the song if it's meaningful for you.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, it's not tacky. I plan on doing something similar. By the way - awesome choice for songs/bands! I love both of those. I tried to convince FI to use either of them for our first dance but he's not a huge fan of Lifehouse and doesn't want that song by TOAD.
  • Options
    aclaroaclaro member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    its your day do whatever you want!!!
    dont worry about what other people think, if you think it expresses yourself then just go for it, since its meanigful to you and you FI thats all that matters
  • Options
    abitcloudyabitcloudy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont think its tacky at all! its a way to personalize YOUR day. we have 3 songs to walk down with... my FH, best man and MOH are walking down to the chorus of Rhiana's "Rockstar 101", the flower girl and ring bearer are walking down to "love story meets viva la vida" by Jon Schmidt and I'm walking down to the beginning of "Never Think" by Rob Pattinson (i love the guitar in this song). Good luck in choosing songs that have meaning to you :)
  • Options
    kidkell20kidkell20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's tacky but if you're concerned about the lyrics check out Vitamin String Quartet... they have an absolute ton of different songs all done instrumentally.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's tacky at all...plus it's actually starting to become a trend. Wedding are becoming less traditional and people are looking for things more unique then the cookie cutting traditions such as bridal march and canon in D..

I am doing something similar and I was told of a beautiful song by Brandon Heath called "Love Never Fails" It actually has some of the verses of the Corinthinians in it. Also I am adding Vitamin String Quartet to my processional, etc. I am playing "Wonderful tonight", "Love Story", "Bittersweet Symphony", and many others by Vitamin String Quartet....they have hundreds of tribute songs to choose from
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards