Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

what is everyone getting for parent gifts?

I'm thinking about getting my mom a pretty necklace and a framed picture of us with a nice thank you letter...but i have no idea if she'll like it and I am at a total loss for my dad and step parents...5 weeks to go! what are you guys doing?

Re: what is everyone getting for parent gifts?

• Options
    We will probably give framed pictures of the wedding once we get our photos back and a nice 'thank you' letter.  We haven't really discussed gifts for parents in detail so we may also throw in something else, like a gift card to a restaurant or something? I'm not really sure.
    Anniversary

• Options
    We gave my mom a bottle of home made mead.  She absolutely loved it.

We gave my dad a restaurant gift card.  My relationship with him has been strange over the years and he wasn't really involved with the wedding.  I debated a lot about getting something for just him or something for he and his wife.  Since there had already been some "snubbing" issues brought up, I went with the gift card for both.

• Options

My mom will be receiving a pre-booked spa day with all the fixings. She has been amazing and deserves it! The wedding is still a little over 6 months away, but she has been a total blessing. FI's mom (who lives out of state) will be getting a gift card to her favorite restaurant.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @sarabridesoon I LOVE the idea about a spa day! I had never even thought of that! so perfect!

• Options

I'm having such a hard time with this!!! I know we're giving my parents and his mom a picture from the wedding, but my parents are hard to shop for, they have everything. FMIL likes to collect junk so we might get her a subscription to some random Danbury Mint thing she wants.

When my mom and I were on vacation, we talked about our next vacation (does anyone else do this lol) and she suggested a cruise with the four of us (my parents, FI and I). FI and I kicked around the idea of paying for their rooms for the cruise as a thank you gift and then if they want to upgrade they can pay for that, but I don't know if they would like that or be offended.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    pinkshorts27pinkshorts27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2014
    My parents will want a photo book and framed picture. We are also getting them a night out as an "apology" for stealing their anniversary. Hand written note included.

ETA: apology dinner is sort of a running joke right now. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We will each get our parents a photo frame and of course will give them a nice picture from the wedding of us to put in.  We will also get them a photo album.

I think we need to add something a bit more to it though and we may add on restaurant gift cards. 

Anniversary

• Options
    We didn't get our parents gifts. Honestly, they didn't want anything and we couldn't think of anything to get them. We bought them albums after the wedding and a framed picture. 
  • Options
    I think we will give our parents handwritten letters to thank them for their love and support. I think they'd rather have a really cool souvenir from our honeymoon in Mexico (handmade pottery or something like that) rather than some random gift. They will also be gifted photo albums once we get our pictures back.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm getting my mom one of those Origami Owl lockets. I'm getting 4 birthstones - mine, my fiance's, my brother's, and his fiance's. I'm also doing a few other random stones. I also plan on writing a letter telling me how much she means to me, etc.

Edited - spelling
  • Options
    We got my parents a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant, and I included a heartfelt letter of thanks because they did a ton of set-up for us. We did the same for his father and stepmother because they let us host our wedding at their house. We didn't get anything for his mother (they have a different relationship, and there was nothing to thank her for).
  • Options
    We aren't giving out parent gifts

• Options
    I'm knitting his parents a blanket and writing them a letter, and... I have no idea what we're getting my mom. Maybe also a blanket. I have a lot of free time to do that in.
  • Options
    Oh dear. Are parent gifts a thing? I have ushers and wedding party members on my gift list, and FI I suppose (although I kind of think that's weird) and was just going to do flowers for the moms to wear.
  • Options
    Being invited was gift enough. They didn't deserve parent gifts for raising me...because they didn't. My grandparents, in laws, and aunt all contributed to the wedding however so we got them photos with nice frames and a heartfelt thank you. Plus I asked my grandfather to walk me down the aisle which about made his entire life :)

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• Options
    vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

I am getting each of our parents a frame like this

https://www.etsy.com/listing/112031115/all-that-we-are-parents-gift?ref=shop_home_active_20

After the wedding I will add a picture to it.  I may also make them each a small album on snapfish.  

• Options
    melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2014
    We're doing parent photo albums once we get our photos. Until then, they'll get a nice thank you card stating we'll get them albums when they come in.

ETA: Both families are very much into photos though so this fits the book.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    We are getting FI's mom and both my parents personalize handkerchiefs for the day of. We are also planning on individually writing heartfelt letters and giving them to our parents. And then once our pictures are ordered, we will be gifting them with frames and a coffee table book.
    imageimage">
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards