Wedding Reception Forum
Options

My Memory Dolls Cake Toppers - BUYER BEWARE

DO NOT purchase from this company through their website OR on Etsy (what I did).

I had my doubts, but thought this would be a super cool way to do a cake topper.  I looked over their website as well as their Etsy listings to see where it was being shipped (New Hampshire) and was it being made in China?  I avoid purchasing anything made in China.  There was zero indication of it being a Chinese operation.  They even state on their Etsy page about being an American company.  

I placed my order on Jan 31st.  I asked for it to arrive before April 5th.  Figured that would be PLENTY of time.  It's the two of us in our respective soccer jerseys and a soccer ball, nothing complicated.

I sent all photos and extremely detailed information to one person, Karren.  Her communication was fantastic and clear and I already felt good about my purchase.  A few days later I was contacted by Lieza who asked me all the same questions again.  And she very definitely did not speak any English.  That's when I started to realize this may have been a mistake.  I provided Lieza all the same info that I already had provided to Karren.

More than two weeks go by and after asking for status I get my first proof of the heads.  The first draft was ok, and we go through several revisions until I am satisfied.  I wait two more weeks with no communication and of course a status update request from me and then I finally receive a proof of the bodies.  I expected the quality to be close to that of the faces, which was pretty detailed.  I was horrified with what she sent back to me.  The sponsor logo of the jerseys (AON for Man United / Samsung for Chelsea) looked scratched in, the lettering was uneven and the jersey colors were wrong.  The team crests looked like simple round colored circles.  

I told them how shocked I was in the quality of the bodies based on the detail of the faces.  I again sent them photos of how the jerseys were supposed to look  This was on March 19th and I was getting nervous.  They decided to take a printout of the jerseys to use as the logos and crests.  This would have been an ok solution but they didn't match up to the jersey colors.  Days kept going by with no communication from Lieza and I daily asked for status updates.  I even asked if she was sure that the topper would arrive by April 5th.  She assured me it would be no problem.  On March 31st, I finally signed off on the doll.  Not 100% happy with it but that was all they could do I was told.  On April 1 she asks me for my address and in what COUNTRY I am in.  Yeah, so that answered all my questions about this being an "American" company.  I ask for a tracking number for two days and then copied in the representative on the second request.

I just received the tracking number from DHL and guess where it originated?  That's right...China.

I'm so disappointed.  This has become a complete disaster and now I have no cake topper and I am out $176.  I'm trying to work on a refund now.

Life lesson - if it sounds awesome, it's probably not.

Fortunately most everything else planned for the wedding has gone right.  I would hate for anyone else to have my same experience.

Re: My Memory Dolls Cake Toppers - BUYER BEWARE

• Options
    Sorry to hear about this.  I would make sure you leave appropriate feedback on their page.  Can you file a claim for misrepresentation of the company?  I looked as well and it says they are a "US based company with highly skilled artisans..."

• Options
    Oh, I absolutely will be.  I am supposed to receive the toppers today and they are still not here.  They told me once they get here they will start processing a refund.  If they don't, they will be so tired of hearing from me, they'll be happy to pay to get rid of me  :D
  • Options
    I am currently using MMD to create a cake topper. This is the best representation of figurines that I could find, so I figured I would try it out. So far, I have caught on quickly that this is not an American company. I'm not mad about it, but I think it's a little weird that they aren't being up front about that. My wedding isn't until October, so I hope that everything turns out fine!!! Wish me luck! :)
  • Options
    I had a very similar experience to the original post.  It took 3 months to get my topper and arrived the week before my wedding, DAMAGED.  It was shipped from Hong Kong and the topper was wrapped in 2 layers of bubble wrap, in 2 boxes, and in a bag.  Not enough protection when going around the world.  My entire body was completely off the base, my arm was broken, dress was cracked, and our sports jerseys' writing were faded.  I would NOT recommend this company to anyone. I was disappointed that it was not a USA company and worst of all they lied about it.  I requested at least a partial refund on June 4th and that it would be processed and I'm still waiting.  I have also posted a review on wedding wire hoping that no one else is fooled by this company.  
  • Options
    I had my reservations, but I gave it a go. The price seemed reasonable, and they offered 100% satisfaction guarantee, as well as risk free, money back guarantee. So, I placed my order on June 4, 2014. On my order, I noted I needed it by July 5, 2014. That sounded like plenty of time, considering they have a 2 week turn around rate.After placing my order, naturally I'm very excited to see the first proofs. A week goes by, and I still hadn't heard anything. I emailed the representative assigned to me, and she immediately responded with my first facial proofs. I immediately thought I was not seeing the same quality they have on their website, but I knew they could make changes, free of charge. Long story short, change request after change request, I start to get very frustrated. Some were not even changes, they were requests on my original order. The original representative assigned to me was then removed. I had contacted the site to seek advice since I was so unhappy with the experience. I told them I didn't want to have to ask for a refund, but that was what it was coming down to. I didn't think I'd have the topper in time for my wedding. I gave them another shot, after being "assured" by Karren that my topper would be worked on night and day. A few more days go by, and I just couldn't take it anymore. I asked for my refund. That process started a few weeks ago. Karren told me due to customization, they could only give me a partial refund. They are all custom, so that didn't make much sense. They weren't even honoring their own policy! But that's ok, because now they have completely changed their terms of service. Maybe others will not be fooled by this company. To date, I have not received a refund, full or partial, Or the dolls (which I don't want anyway). They have stopped responding to me, so I guess they are just going to keep my money. I am not done fighting for this! I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy!
  • Options
    I hope you are reporting the complaint with Etsy too!  I had a bad experience with one shop and enough people complained that the shop was shut down.  I was also able to get my money back.

PS - The name of the shop just sounds creepy.
  • Options
    Same thing happened to me with MyMemoryDolls! They are a rip off and do horrible work! First of all, they did not deliver our product in time for our wedding but even if they did, I would not have used the sorry excuse for a cake topper that they sent me. Not only did my husband's face look like Fat Albert (which he is not even black but they made his skin so dark and his face so fat that he didn't resemble my husband one bit!), but there were finger prints all over the dolls, the Mexican flag logo was flipped the wrong way, they misspelled wording on our dolls that we clearly gave them in pictures, they put no earrings on me which I sent them a picture of to add to my ears, some of the colors were wrong that we specifically sent pictures of, and to top it off, it was such bad quality that my husbands arm was falling completely off!! Are you serious?? I paid almost $300 for this crap?!?! I tried to get a refund but as stated by others, they don't even follow their own procedures they have listed so they did not give me a full refund. This is the worst company I have ever worked with and will NEVER recommend them. I don't care where they are located... their product and customer service sucks!!! BUYER BEWARE!!
  • Options
    Hey girls... go leave all your comments on Yelp.com about this company and lets spread the word to other brides so they won't be fooled like we were! Go here to post your reviews on Yelp - http://www.yelp.com/biz/wedding-cake-toppers-bristol
  • Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    The fake posts from someone posing as a bride have been removed. It was obviously MMD trying to save face.

If anyone else has a bad experience, please be sure to report them to Etsy and write a Yelp review.
  • Options
    wrigleyville maybe you should lock this thread so no more happy newbs can bump it up. If anyone wants they can start a new thread that way :)

I'm currently using MMD for my cake topper. I can't wait to see how it will turn out!
    First post...pretty fishy
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards