Just Engaged and Proposals

Just got engaged!!! Now what...?

My fiancé and I just got engaged!! People are already asking when the wedding is going to be!! We don't plan on having a wedding until about 2 years from now. Is it too soon to start planning an engagement party? Help! Now what????

Re: Just got engaged!!! Now what...?

• My fiancé and I just got engaged!! People are already asking when the wedding is going to be!! We don't plan on having a wedding until about 2 years from now. Is it too soon to start planning an engagement party? Help! Now what????

If someone chooses to throw you an engagement party within a few months of your engagement would be a good time for it.  If nobody offers to throw you a party, you will still be just as engaged.

It's never to early to start planning.  With 2 years to go I would first decide on a budget that is realistic for you and your fiance, whether money you already have, or figuring out how much to save each month.  Start thinking of venues, some book up over a year out.

Things to wait on. . . . .bridal party.  Do not pick a bridal party until maybe 6-8 months before the wedding.  Friendships change.  In that same vein, don't invite people to the wedding yet, whether verbal or in writing. . . it can be tempting, but once you invite someone they can't be uninvited.

Most importantly, enjoy being engaged!  It goes quickly.

• Things to do:
    Start looking into your budget.  Do not count on others adding to your budget (unless they have specifically said 'we are willing to contribute X amount') and even there, proceed with caution because situations do change.

Start thinking about a tentative guest list.  You want to make sure a venue will accommodate everybody invited (give yourself some wiggle room on this one - as in assume everybody invited will have a +1 within reason).

You do not throw yourself an engagement party - others do that for you if they choose to.  Keep in mind anybody invited to any pre-wedding party should also be invited to the actual wedding & reception.

If you have a ring, look at getting that insured.  You can look at a ring rider to your current home/renters insurance or go through a different company.

Anniversary
  • Ditto PPs. You can't plan your own party...engagement, bridal, or bachelorette. Someone else needs to do that for you and if no one offers then you don't get one. 2 years isn't too early. Definitely come up with a budget and guest list first. When you have those, you can start researching vendors. I would try to book the venue first because, depending on where you live, venues can be booked out a year or two.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards