Attire & Accessories Forum

Short Dress... Ugly legs!

Hello ladies,

I just posted another question, but that sort of leads me into a new question! 
So, basically... I have ugly legs. As I wrote in my previous post, I am a major tomboy. I have cut, scratched, burned (yes burned... on a Harley Davidson's exhaust pipe... which is sort of awesome in my books :)...) my legs. They are the epitome of tomboyish-ness. So, my question is....
Since I am wearing a knee-length dress (it was an elopement dress), is it appropriate to wear nylons? I have closed to shoes (which, by the way, I LOVE even though I'm tomboyish). I just don't want to feel frumpy!
Open to suggestions!
Chey

Re: Short Dress... Ugly legs!

• Closed toe! Closed toe. Whoops!
  • What time of year is your wedding?  If it is in late fall, winter or early spring then I say go for the nylons.  But if it is in the warmer months I would rather show off my scratched legs rather then have them be suffocated in nylons.

Have you considered getting a spray tan? You wouldn't need to go dark, but just an even color over your legs could really help to hide any scratches or scars that may be bothering you. 

• I would love to have a spray tan, Maggie0829!! But I live in a very small town and the only option for that is, like, 3 hours away. And I CANNOT drive in the city! (Lame, I know). 
    And I would consider the "out there" nylons, but my wedding will be in a church. An Anglican church. So I don't know how "appropriate" that will be :/
    My dress is knee length, lacy with 3/4 length lacy sleeves. 
  • If wearing nylons makes you more comfortable, go for it. On the self tanning topic, check out your local drug store for self tanners, especially if would do just your legs. That's assuming you have enough time between now & your ceremony for it to wear off in case you don't like how it turned out. Self tanners aren't what they use to be, they don't all turn you orange. Jergens is suppose to have a good self tanner.

• If you wanted to do the self tanner - I have used Jergens Natural Glow and had good results with it.  You pick the color skin you have and go from there.  It does take a few days to get the color though (the one I used was 7 days).

Anniversary
  • Instead of a self-tanner, they also have those spray-on nylons. It's basically airbrush make-up for your legs and also helps hide flaws in your skin. I have no personal experience with it, so I'd try it first and make sure it won't rub off on your dress before the wedding.

http://www.amazon.com/Sally-Hansen-Airbrush-Makeup-Tones/dp/B001R2IGEC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • edited April 2014

I say leave them naked and have pride in your legs and all the marks and scars that make you who you are.  I have a very large surgery scar on my back (like, 13" long and 1" wide). I also have some rather visible scars on my arm from being young and stupid. I used to be super self conscious about them.  But, then I grew to realize that its part of me and the experience that gave me those scars helped make me who I am... and I LOVE who I am. I realized that I am damn proud of my "battle scars".   After deciding that, I now own several low back shirts that I wear regularly and don't care who sees it. When I look at my scars, I now see all the great things those scars (and the experiences that caused them) added to my life. When dress shopping, my mom was very concerned about dresses that showed my scar.  After a couple comments, I turned to her and straight up told her that showing my scar doesn't bother me at all, even on my wedding day. And most of the people coming to my wedding know me, who I am, what I've been through, and won't side eye the fact that I have scars.  And if they do, then they have the option to leave.  Or they are welcome to ask and I will gladly tell them some interesting stories about how I got them. All the scars on my body are part of me, they all tell a story about how I became who I am, and I'm proud of each one of them. Although, honestly, even though they seem SO obvious to me (or my mom), most people don't even notice the scars. So, I'd say don't worry about the scars... they are part of who you are.  They are likely less noticeable than you think they are, especially on your wedding day when people will be so focused on other things, like your dress or your smile. And if they notice, who cares? Plus, it sounds like you have awesome stories to go with them (I mean, come on, you got burned by a Harley, that's an awesome scar story!).

But, it's also important to feel comfortable in your own body.  If you have a while until your wedding, vitamin e oil can help to reduce visibility of scars, even old scars. Tanning (natural, fake, or spray) can help reduce visibility also, even if just a little bit of color (although with new scars, its best to avoid sunlight). Or put some concealer makeup on them, just like you would use on your face.  You can also get heavier makeup that can cover anything, even tattoos, that you could use. Or, I don't see any problem with wearing nylons if you are comfortable with that. No matter what you choose to do, I'm sure nobody will be looking at your legs on your wedding day though. They will be too busy looking at your face glowing with happiness.

• There's nothing inappropriate about wearing nylons to a church wedding!
  • There's nothing inappropriate about wearing nylons to a church wedding!
    I agree...especially if they were the white lacy ones.  Those were really pretty!  
  • flyingfoxesflyingfoxes member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014

Instead of a self-tanner, they also have those spray-on nylons. It's basically airbrush make-up for your legs and also helps hide flaws in your skin. I have no personal experience with it, so I'd try it first and make sure it won't rub off on your dress before the wedding.

http://www.amazon.com/Sally-Hansen-Airbrush-Makeup-Tones/dp/B001R2IGEC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I've used this before.  It was a bit awkward for me, and I can't remember if it rubbed off or not, so maybe a practice run or two would be good! 

• Sally Hansen airbrush legs. Get the cream based, not the spray on. It's awesome. Walmart sells it. 
  • Say no to nylons.  No matter how hard you try to match your skin tone, they'll show.  And other than colored/black/winter-ish tights and stockings, nylons (as in flesh tone) are passe and for old ladies to wear to church!  

I second what everyone above said about the Sally Hansen leg products.  I used them in pageants, they'll even cover mild cellulite!  Really great coverage.  Beware though--it rubs off REALLY easily.  So don't brush up against anything light, and be emotionally prepared for the inside of your dress to get stained.  Also, try a few of the shades ahead of time.  I had to go one lighter than I thought I'd need because it's dark.
  • As long as you spend the time to get nude pantyhose that actually match your skintone, you'll be fine! Chances are no one will even notice. 

It's a church wedding and you're wearing closed-toe shoes--nude pantyhose are almost expected! 

Also, Kate Middleton (Prince William's wife) has caused a big resurgence in wearing nude pantyhose:
  • printed tights are pretty and useful to cover any scratches or scars in your leg.
  • I LOVE the idea of printed tights/nylons! or the idea of a spray tan.

I am going to have a long dress and am still having my legs spray tanned and I am getting married in Mexico, lol. I get pretty tan on my own but even my legs tans are terrible. Unfortunately I have terrible looking legs so I know the feeling. I have bad spider veins :(  I blame my mother! So I am always wearing nylons even in the summer. Whatever you choose I'm sure will look great!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards