Wedding Reception Forum

changing for the reception

I plan to change out of my dress for the reception, but I am not sure when to do so.  I'm not sure I want to eat in my dress, but at the same time, (to be honest, mainly for the sake of pictures and to make my mom happy...) I kind of want to be in my dress for the cake cutting, first dance, etc.  At my first wedding I didn't change until right before we left for the evening, but I was thinking about maybe changing earlier this time so I'm more comfortable and not worrying about my dress (It's an outside wedding and reception)

If you changed at your reception, when did you do so?  If you plan on it, when do you plan to do it?  If neither of those, what would you do if you were me?

Re: changing for the reception

• I think what might work best for you is once your and your groom are introduced, go right into your first dance and any other spotlight dances that you are going to have.  Then cut the cake.  Then as all your guests sit for dinner and start to be served or head to the buffet, you can quickly go and get changed.  Then come back down to eat and then any toasts that you were going to have can be done towards the end of dinner.

• I'm not changing during my reception, but if I were going to I think I would wait until after the spotlight dances and cake cutting. I would want my dress on for all the pictures of those. After that its just dancing and having fun!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I have no idea.  I spend so much money on my dress I wore it as long as I could.  Never occurred to me to change.    Also don't get the appeal of leaving the reception to change outfits?    It's just a concept I do not understand.  

I guess if I had to pick I would say between the ceremony and reception so  I wouldn't have to break-away in the middle of the reception for a costume change.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I think what might work best for you is once your and your groom are introduced, go right into your first dance and any other spotlight dances that you are going to have.  Then cut the cake.  Then as all your guests sit for dinner and start to be served or head to the buffet, you can quickly go and get changed.  Then come back down to eat and then any toasts that you were going to have can be done towards the end of dinner.
    I like that idea.  I'm having a buffet and I plan to have our pastor say a blessing at the end of the ceremony so that they can go ahead and begin eating without us (my mom's going to make us plates) so that we can stay and get some pictures but the guests don't have to go hungry waiting on us...  I could go ahead and do the first dance and cut the cake and then change. (I don't think I'll have any other dances, my father passed away recently and I don't think I could make an "alternate" father/daughter dance without breaking down - FI said he refuses to do a mother/son dance if I'm not doing it even though I told him it was fine if he wanted to).
  • Put me in the not changing my dress camp.  I just don't see the point of spending so much on a dress to wear it for two hours...but thats just me. 

For our wedding we are doing all of the important spotlight things right after cocktail hour, so in theory I would go after the cake cutting.  It still seems odd to leave the party and come back, but that would be the best way.

• I am not a big fan of dress changes, but when people want to do it, it isn't like they are leaving the party for an hour, they run out and get changed, 10 minutes tops.  And as long as they don't make a huge production about reentering the reception room then it really isn't a big deal.

• I thought about this because we were planning out door.  I am sure you already have your dress...But I wound up finding a two piece wedding dress.  Basically where the ball skirt comes off then it is a cocktail type of dress.  However I am in the not wanting to change out of my dress until I have to camp!
  • I thought about this because we were planning out door.  I am sure you already have your dress...But I wound up finding a two piece wedding dress.  Basically where the ball skirt comes off then it is a cocktail type of dress.  However I am in the not wanting to change out of my dress until I have to camp!
    LOL!  That would have been a great idea!  But yes, I already have my dress
  • OMG it's so FABULOUS I couldn't resist show a picture to my FI.  Even he was amazed by it.  lol  Congrats & Good Luck!
  • HAHA  that's great!  Congrats to you as well!
  • LOL!  Total reading fail!  When I saw your title, I misread "CHARGING for reception!"  I was expecting a shit storm. 
    Enjoy your wedding!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    LOL!  Total reading fail!  When I saw your title, I misread "CHARGING for reception!"  I was expecting a shit storm. 
    Enjoy your wedding!
    LMAO!   Oh that would have been funny!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards