Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Help with bridal shower invite wording

I'm designing the invitations for the bridal shower I'm throwing for my cousins. She wants a Steel Magnolias theme, and I'm trying to figure out a way to work that in to the invitations. This is what I have right now:

"Our theme is Steel Magnolias, so wear a hat that would make Ouiser proud, and come prepared to eat a Southern feast!"

But I don't like that at all because of course, I don't want to tell people how to dress. Any suggestions for working the theme in without being rude? 

Re: Help with bridal shower invite wording

• Options
    themes are very rude for a wedding, if i was invited to a themed wedding i would come dressed how i normaly. do not everyone has fancy hats and asking to wear one would be like telling them to purchase one.
  • Options
    You could just do regular wording and at the bottom or something put "Theme: Steel Magnolias" or something.  Or you could do something like
    "Please join us for a
    Steel Magnolias themed
    Bridal Shower 
    in honour of
    Bride's Name 
    Date
    Time 
    Address"
  • Options

themes are very rude for a wedding, if i was invited to a themed wedding i would come dressed how i normaly. do not everyone has fancy hats and asking to wear one would be like telling them to purchase one.
    It's not a themed wedding, it's a themed shower.  Just clarifying.
  • Options
    clcountryclcountry member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2014
    Thanks, hyechica. I'm aware of that. That's why I'm asking for alternatives. 
  • Options
    I like that, ladyamanuet, I may go with exactly that!
  • Options
    I like that, and I also like the first thing you came up with- it's pretty clear to me that you are just letting people in on the theme in a fun way, not mandating that they wear a fancy hat.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I like that, and I also like the first thing you came up with- it's pretty clear to me that you are just letting people in on the theme in a fun way, not mandating that they wear a fancy hat.

I disagree. The original wording makes it sound like you're supposed to wear a hat. If I got an invitation like that I'd probably decline because costumes/hats aren't my thing. I think a variation of @doeydo 's answer would be best. "Please join us as we celebrate steel magnolia style! " then list food types, games, etc that will incorporate the theme. Maybe a hat contest or something.

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• Options
    Now I want to have a hat party so all my friends can borrow from my collection of ridiculous hats.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options

I disagree. The original wording makes it sound like you're supposed to wear a hat. If I got an invitation like that I'd probably decline because costumes/hats aren't my thing. I think a variation of @doeydo 's answer would be best. "Please join us as we celebrate steel magnolia style! " then list food types, games, etc that will incorporate the theme. Maybe a hat contest or something.
    I like the idea of a hat contest...  That lets people in on the fact that "costumes" are welcome but that you don't need to feel bad if you don't participate.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    I think it depends on the crowd as well.  How well do you know everyone attending? My circle of friends would LOVE something like this - and probably take it WAY over the top and have a blast, so your original wording would bother no one.  But if it is a crowd of shy folks or fuddy-duddies... then it likely won't go over well and might cause some anxiety (which I personally think is silly over a bridal shower, but I know it happens, so one must consider it).  So, as I said before, I think inviting folks to participate if they wish - making sure it is clear it is their choice - is probably the best way to go.

Sounds like the shower will be super fun and cute! Hope a good percentage participate in the theme! =D
    My reaction to most everything on the internet today:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards