Registry and Gift Forum

Dinnerware/ Plates- chipping

I'm not having a shower but my grandparents and a few aunts have asked us to register for a few things. We can really use plates- I'm not even sure what ours are made of- I assume a ceramic- they are really heavy but after 3 years all their edges are chipped. FI said he doesn't care what color I pick out as long as they won't chip......so what material should I be looking for? I'm looking for casual/ everyday use, not fine china.

Also why the hell is it so hard to find just plates and bowls? 90% of them are sets that come with cups. I don't want cups, we have a million glasses. I have found a handful of sets that let you buy individual pieces but they don't have good reviews (aka chipping reported!). I'm looking at BBBeyond right now, but since we only need a few items I'm willing to change stores if you have recommendations.

Re: Dinnerware/ Plates- chipping

• emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Porcelain is less likely to chip than earthenware. We got the Aspen dinnerware from Crate and Barrel and they're lovely and have lots of positive reviews. 

You can buy it in sets or individually, but you might want cups and saucers that match your dishes if you entertain and ever want to offer coffee after dinner or do brunch. We store our cups and saucers separately, with the rest of our rarely used dishes, but it's nice to have them!
  • Porcelain or Bone China are going to be your best bests.

We went with the Hotel Collection from Macy's and so far I love it.  We have been using it daily since we got back from our honeymoon (January 25th wedding) and so far no chips, cracks or damage.  We haven't dropped anything yet but I have stopped treating it like it is going to break when I look at it.

Bone china feels very fragile but it is actually pretty durable. 

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Thanks so much, I will look for those!  I wish we had a Crate & Barrell closer.

• jenna8984 said:
    Thanks so much, I will look for those!  I wish we had a Crate & Barrell closer.

We originally registered for the Aspen at Crate & Barrell but I was afraid it wouldn't last as long (it gets rave reviews so this was me being picky).

When I went into Macy's the sales lady helping me actually picked up a plate and banged it on the counter to show how strong it actually is.  It will still break if you throw it at a wall or take a hammer to it, but you don't have to handle it with kid gloves.

The Hotel Collection can also be bought by the piece, so if you don't want mugs you don't have to have them.  I loved the fact that they had 12 piece boxes that were 4 dinner plates, 4 salad plates and 4 cereal bowls.  No mugs!!!!!! 

No one bought our place settings (not a lot of stuff came off the registry) but we bought it ourselves with gift cards when it was on sale and with our registry completion discount.  We did a total of 16 place settings to allow for breakage and family expansion.  We did two of the 12 piece sets and then 4 single place settings that included the mugs.  That way we had a few nice matching mugs but didn't have to store 16 of them.

They also have assorted serving pieces, different mugs, low rim bowls (that I love for pasta and salads) but aside from the low rim bowls I didn't get the other pieces.  I tend to buy regular white serving dishes when I need something so I already had a decent collection of platters and serving bowls.  It may not match exactly, but it works.

• @aprilh81 Ooooooh that sound perfect! I have very limited cabinet space so it doesn't make sense for me to get 8-10 matching mugs that I'll never use but a few would be nice just in case. And I only have like Walmart $2 plastic serving bowls right now so nice, matching ones would be super nifty. I don't expect many people to shop off the registry either, since it's a small wedding with no shower but that's ok, I can buy what I need after :)

• jenna8984 said:
    @aprilh81 Ooooooh that sound perfect! I have very limited cabinet space so it doesn't make sense for me to get 8-10 matching mugs that I'll never use but a few would be nice just in case. And I only have like Walmart $2 plastic serving bowls right now so nice, matching ones would be super nifty. I don't expect many people to shop off the registry either, since it's a small wedding with no shower but that's ok, I can buy what I need after :)

Oh, and the dinner plates are quite large, our cabinet door (standard depth) stays open just a smidge, but you don't really notice it.  We eat off of the salad plates 90% of the time.

The Cellar collection is much cheaper and I would do the serving pieces from that.  They "match" and are much cheaper (but also heavier).

Definately go in person to check out everything...  Picking it up and talking with someone who knows their stuff will help you make a decision.

Macy's also has a fairly frequent Buy One-Get One sale...  That is usually the cheapest time to buy them, but not always.  I did a lot of registry stalking so I knew the deepest sales prices by heart and would pick things up when they were on sale.

Our Registry Completion discount (the full 20%) was also active during their big Home Sale in February so I bought our pots and pans, the rest of our place settings and a few other odds and needs.  I spent a ton of money but saved a ton...

• I love my everyday corelle...practically indestructible  
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Don't overlook Corelle.  It comes in many patterns and is great in the refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave.  Super practical.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I have the Essentials line from Crate & Barrel and they look great 2 years later. I bought my own when I was convinced I would never marry - and met FI 2 months later! We're registering for more of the same.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards