Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Starting to work out the budget - how many servings of cake should we anticipate?

We'll have about 50-55 people total. We were thinking of budgeting 60 servings - too many? Too few?

Re: Starting to work out the budget - how many servings of cake should we anticipate?

• I'd probably do closer to 75. The serving sizes that the bakeries calculate are pretty small.
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'd probably do closer to 75. The serving sizes that the bakeries calculate are pretty small.
    Yes to this. 
  • Duly noted, thank you!
  • I would check how big a "serving size" is for your bakery.  It is normally smaller than what most people would cut (but keep in mind it is usually a tall slice with multiple layers).

Depending on prices I would do the extra cake in a sheet cake by the same bakery.  Since it won't be stacked and little/no decorations you can save a little money while still having the safety net of extra cake.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • contact the bakery and tell them how many people you are serving. Explain that you are worried you wont have enough cake. if you want your guest to have a little more cake per serving as them to make you a cake where the serving slices can be cut just a little thicker than normal
  • If I can get my cake through the place I want to, they do birthday cakes for my mom every year (and they are oh so good). I can ask her how many her birthday cake is intended to serve as well. (She gets the equivalent of a very small wedding cake for her birthday - woman does not skimp on quality where dessert is concerned!)
  • Keep in mind that if you are doing a tiered cake then you may not be able to just say you want 60 servings. They count each tier with how many it serves so for example if you want a two tier cake and it only serves 40 people, then you would need to add another tier or go up in your cake sizes and it could add 30 servings. Bakers will generally get you as close as they can to your number, but they can't always make it exact. 

I'm probably not the best person to ask though because we have 35 guests and 70 servings of cake. LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards