Attire & Accessories Forum

Should I Be Worried?

Hi everyone, 

I'm getting married in early July and I called my dress shop about 2 weeks ago to set up my first fitting for this week. I live in a different state than the one I purchased the dress and am getting married in, so even though this first fitting in a little early I have to work around my schedule and since I have this week off I figured I'd start the fitting process. I ordered a different size than the dress I tried on, so I don't know if the purchased dress is going to fit properly, they measured me, but some of my measurements were weird and I didn't match an exact dress size. 

Anyways, I called the dress shop and they laughed at me for wanting to start my fittings now and told me I couldn't come in "because they are too busy with prom season". Should I be concerned and find a new place to get alterations done? Personally, I think laughing at me is rude and I honestly don't understand why I couldn't come in as I was calling nice and early for a fitting. This is a small independently owned shop in a small town, so it's not like Kleinfeld's that is booked up months in advance. In fact, when I went to pick out the dress I didn't have an appointment and walked right in and was taken care of. 

So the main question, should I find a new place for fittings? Or trust that these people will be okay with me scheduling my first fitting when it's closer to my wedding date.

Re: Should I Be Worried?

• .No matter if they think you are starting the fitting process early or not, it's not right for them to be rude to you! If they wanted your business they should have at least helped you to make an appointment for a later date. I would look else where for alterations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I don't think you need to worry but I agree she was rude to laugh at you.  Did she say when you could/should come in?
  • I would call them back explain the situation, and tell them  I live out of state and I would need to schedule the fittings so that I can be in town. this is when I will be in town but I am not sure if I will be in town before the wedding is there anyway you can alter the dress this soon or do you have any recomendations on when I should start the alterations so I can plan to be in town. if not take the dress elswhere
  • After she told me no that I couldn't come this early she said she thinks I should come in mid May and said she would schedule me an appointment for then. I told her that I live out of state and have to figure out my schedule to find a weekend I can come up for first. I was hoping by telling her I lived out of state she would be more understanding as to why I was trying to start so early. All she had to say was, "so you don't want me to make an appointment for May?" 

I knew going into this that living out of state would make things more difficult as far as planning and getting things done goes, but I made sure I planned ahead and tried to give ample scheduling time so that I'm not a nuisance to them. I told her I was available anytime this whole week (I'm a teacher and it's spring break so this is a very convenient week for me to get wedding stuff done) 
  • Screw that. Bring your dress to where you live and get it fitted by a seamstress there. There's no need or reason for their attitude. They have no business acting like they don't have these kinds of requests all the time. A simple explanation and a suggestion of May was all that was needed, not laughter.
  • My dress shop wanted me in ASAP to start fittings for my June 28th wedding (though I need it ready by June 9th because I'm moving). My first fitting was March 19th, and my next one is this Thursday, April 17th. They wanted to make sure we have plenty of time to get the dress how I want it.
  • What I must point out is that it is really rude to laugh at you. However,you have no need to worry about it. I think you ought to explain your situation and ask them when they can schedule your fitting next time. Besides, you take your available time into account. If it is not convenient for you at that period of time, you'd better find a new place.
  • Screw that. Bring your dress to where you live and get it fitted by a seamstress there. There's no need or reason for their attitude. They have no business acting like they don't have these kinds of requests all the time. A simple explanation and a suggestion of May was all that was needed, not laughter.

This. I would bring it to where you live and find a seamstress there if at all possible. It would be much easier. But yea, I would probably find someone else.

This. Find a weekend where you can go and pick up your dress and take it to a seamstress where you live. I wouldn't be giving this store another penny.

• It's April.  You're getting married in July.  In all likelihood, your weight will change before July.  You don't need to be worried now, unless you're planning on making huge changes to the dress, like re-designing the back, etc.
  • Yeah, I wouldn't have them work on my dress after their attitude.   I'd pick it up and take it somewhere closer to home.  Then, you have more control over when to do appointments. Yes, you may have some weight changes by doing it too far in advance, but a few weeks isn't going to make that much difference, unless you are actively trying to adjust weight.  My wedding is end of June and I had my first fitting about 2 weeks ago. It sounds like they are just too busy with prom season right now to worry about your convenience.  

• My thought- they are totally overwhelmed by prom so the thought of fitting one more dress, especially for a wedding a few months out, put that person over the edge of sanity for a few seconds. A "is this really happening" moment. I've had plenty of those myself at work when I'm up to my eyeballs in work and someone comes by and asks me if I can just come up with a strategy for a roll out of a new product 'real quick.'

So I wouldn't take it personally. It IS prom season. About 20 people came into Mens Wearhouse when we were there tonight. They said they had 300 rental pick ups on Friday alone. 

Call again in mid May, I'm sure you'll get a much different reaction. 
    This. Find a weekend where you can go and pick up your dress and take it to a seamstress where you live. I wouldn't be giving this store another penny.
    Both! I wouldn't give them any more of my money either - I did NOT choose a DJ that two couples recommended because when I spoke to him on the phone he was rude and extremely entitled. I'm not a bridezilla by any means, but customer service is key when I'm spending (a lot) of my money! 
    Both! I wouldn't give them any more of my money either - I did NOT choose a DJ that two couples recommended because when I spoke to him on the phone he was rude and extremely entitled. I'm not a bridezilla by any means, but customer service is key when I'm spending (a lot) of my money! 
    That's my feelings! I do understand they may be overwhelmed, but why handle it that way? And this shop is 25+ years old, you're telling me by now they don't know how to handle being a bridal shop and prom shop? 
  • my wedding is june 28th i had my first fitting two weeks ago, I have my second fitting at the end of april. I am having issues with the top and want everything to be perfect.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards