Not Engaged Yet
Options

Question for the horse ladies

I've been riding at a western ranch for a woman who doesn't have confidence. FI kept bugging me to get him up on a horse, but with no horse experience, he can't ride the horse I'm riding. The owners of the ranch have agreed to lessons for FI. Should I have him see if my helmet fits? Should he have his own helmet? What about boots? I know the girl side of riding apparel, but no clue about guys. A lot of the ladies at the ranch ride without a helmet, but I do since that's what I was taught since I was little. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Question for the horse ladies

• Options
    If he rides in a helmet, he needs one that fits correctly. If you have an adjustable helmet, he could ride in that, but if you don't, I would be surprised if yours fit him correctly. I always ride in a helmet because you never know what will happen, and especially as a beginner he may not be able to stay on as well or handle the horse as well as someone with more experience. I know a lot of people who ride western don't wear/like helmets, but it's always a good habit to start because western horses spook too and accidents happen no matter how "beginner safe" or calm the horse is. 

As for apparel, jeans and a tshirt should be fine. Heck, I rode in jeans and a tshirt at a hunter/jumper barn. For shoes, if he has any hard soled shoes with a heel that would be best, but for the first few lessons he would probably be fine in any sort of tennis shoe or shoe with a slight heel. 

Really, there is no difference between girl and guy apparel in horseback riding as it's mostly meant for safety (except for the obvious shape and size things). I wouldn't go and buy anything expensive for him until a couple of lessons in so you know that he likes it and wants to keep doing it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    If he rides in a helmet, he needs one that fits correctly. If you have an adjustable helmet, he could ride in that, but if you don't, I would be surprised if yours fit him correctly. I always ride in a helmet because you never know what will happen, and especially as a beginner he may not be able to stay on as well or handle the horse as well as someone with more experience. I know a lot of people who ride western don't wear/like helmets, but it's always a good habit to start because western horses spook too and accidents happen no matter how "beginner safe" or calm the horse is. 

As for apparel, jeans and a tshirt should be fine. Heck, I rode in jeans and a tshirt at a hunter/jumper barn. For shoes, if he has any hard soled shoes with a heel that would be best, but for the first few lessons he would probably be fine in any sort of tennis shoe or shoe with a slight heel. 

Really, there is no difference between girl and guy apparel in horseback riding as it's mostly meant for safety (except for the obvious shape and size things). I wouldn't go and buy anything expensive for him until a couple of lessons in so you know that he likes it and wants to keep doing it.
    NO SNEAKERS.

That's like, Rule #1 of horseback riding. Flat soles, small heel, just like yours. 

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    As someone who has been riding and training horses for 23+ years please ignore what foxbunny Said regarding tennis shoes. You should 100% NOT wear tennis shoes to ride unless they are a riding sport shoe. Your shoe should be hard soled, closed toed and have, at least, a 1/2 inch heal.
    The helmet should fit properly, not move excessively when he shakes his head back and forth, and should not come down over his brow bone to bump his nose.
    Jeans are fine, but he won't want to wear any that are too loose. Loose jeans will cause rubbing burns on the insides of his legs.
    If you need anymore advice or have any other questions, feel free to PM me.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options
    beanbot2002beanbot2002 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2014
    I'd also recommend wearing an approved helmet every time you/he rides. Beginner or professional. Courtney King - Dye is an Olympic level Dressage rider/trainer. She had a fall that caused a TBI. NO ONE is immune to falls and the injuries that follow, no matter how long you've been riding.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options
    Especially regarding the helmet issue ignore anyone and EVERYONE that says you don't need a helmet on a 'made' horse or if you're just walking. Courtney was ' just walking' when she had her fall. For fucks sake.You're gonna make me lose my shit TwoDimes.

• Options
    TwoDimes said:
    If he's going to be taking lessons for reals and actually wants to learn and he'll be riding on a regular basis, then he needs proper riding shoes and a properly fitting helmet.

If he just wants to ride once or twice -- as in, a trail ride, leisurely walking with no trotting/cantering/jumping, with a western saddle, just to see what riding a horse is like -- I think he'd be fine in sneakers. Shoes/boots with a small heel are preferable of course, but if he won't be riding much, I don't think it's necessary to spend money on new shoes. (And if this is the case, I don't think he needs a helmet, unless the horse is green or spooks easy or something).

NOPE. NOPE NOPE NOPE.
    Reaction GIF: facepalm, Bill Cosby

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    I can forgive you, TwoDimes. You just want to be certain that you're giving accurate advice when it comes to something that can effect life safety. (Sorry if I used the wrong effect/affect I always get that one wrong)

• Options
    Yeah, I was really iffy about putting the tennis shoes in there, but figured for a walking lesson it would probably be fine. But you guys are right. I also realize that my tennis shoes are not what people consider as tennis shoes so please ignore that little bit of "advice."

Also, totally agree with the helmets. I was riding a horse at a easy, easy slow trot in an arena and he tripped, fell to the ground and it threw me and I came very close to whacking my head on the fence. If I didn't have a helmet and was a few inches to the left, I could have very easily died. My cousin doesn't wear a helmet even on their green horse and it's the stupidest thing I've ever seen. She just "doesn't like helmets." It's so stupid. It's better to be safe than sorry. 

• Options
    Thanks ladies!

I do know enough that I won't even let him visit the barn in sneakers. He has a pair of work boots right now I make him wear and I tell him I won't drive him to the hospital if he gets stepped on in sneakers. He's learned well about that one.

@beanbot2002, my current helmet is an IRH schooling helmet with an adjustable dial in the back. I'm going to find out soon if it fits him or not. I've been looking for a new helmet for myself so if it works for him, we'll be set.

He wants to do more than just walking around. This is the boy who I brought to the barn last weekend and soon after declared he wanted a horse. He's a keeper for a reason. :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards