Attire & Accessories Forum

Togas?

My sister just got engaged (I'm maid of honor) and she wants to have a Ancient Rome theme wedding. I've seen some people online have done this but I'm not sure where they got the men's togas! We don't want to get them from a costume shop.

Has anyone done this? Does anyone know where to get custom togas or do we have to make them?

Re: Togas?

• Are the guests expected to wear togas, too?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • edited April 2014
    My sister just got engaged (I'm maid of honor) and she wants to have a Ancient Rome theme wedding. I've seen some people online have done this but I'm not sure where they got the men's togas! We don't want to get them from a costume shop.

Has anyone done this? Does anyone know where to get custom togas or do we have to make them?
    She needs to think this through better. Costume weddings are not most people's cup of tea. However, if all the wedding party is truly okay with this, there's about a million guides online for wrapping a toga, which historically was simply a large rectangular piece of cloth.
  • Honestly, unless you go to a costume shop (which you might as well since this will be a costume wedding), you probably wont find anything.

If I was a groomsman in this wedding party, I'd be livid to have to pay to get a custom toga made. Is the entire wedding party ok with this?

FI and I haven't worn togas since college, and even then, we went a bought three yards of fabric and wrapped them up ourselves.
  • Her friends and his friends are all into geeky stuff and it's a Doctor Who takes place in Ancient Rome wedding. The guests aren't expected to dress in the attire, just the wedding party, who (as far as I know) are all on board with it.

I will let her know to look at some of those guides for make-your-own togas.
  • On an episode of My Fair Wedding, the bride wanted the groom and groomsmen in togas.  It was terrible.  Recap of the episode here: http://www.budgetfairytale.com/2012/10/my-fair-wedding-unveiled-recap-ancient-rome-bride/
    There is nothing wrong with a Doctor Who or Ancient Rome themed, but I really dislike costume weddings.  
  • It's her day so I'm going to help her make it perfect with the idea she has; my wedding was normal (gazebo, tuxes, etc), I love normal weddings, of course.

She's always been in love with Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome, and she and her fiancee met at a Dr. Who convention.

She's always wanted something different. I'm just grateful she's not going with her idea when she was 10 - wedding in an ice rink! Brrr.
  • JasperandOpalJasperandOpal member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited April 2014
    If you really don't want to go to a costume store, I think you are going to end up making these yourself.  The good news is, togas are super easy to make and there are actually a couple different styles so you can account for different levels of modesty.  If your sister really loves ancient Greece/Rome then I suggest doing a little research into how togas were actually made, rather than buying bedsheets and wrapping them around the guys' bodies.  But that really depends on how the couple see their wedding and the comfort level of the WP.  

These website explains some basics.

You are probably going to want to make a long tunic and then the wrap-over fabric.  If you have even the most basic of sewing abilities, you should be able to do this as it involves sewing straight lines and some minor hemming.  If you don't know anyone who sews, you could try reaching out to theaters/colleges in your area and seeing if they have costume making contacts.

ETA: I would definitely make sure the whole WP is on board with wearing togas though, and mention to your sister that there are other ways to do a Doctor Who/Ancient Rome wedding that don't involve men in togas.
  • Wedding in a skating rink?  That made me laugh out loud. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Togas are not flattering to women.  They make them look fat or pregnant. Historically, women of ancient Rome did not wear togas.  They were only for men.

I don't understand your objection to a costume shop.  Where else do you expect to find them?  They don't rent them at Men's Wearhouse!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I wasn't objecting to the costume shop; she had mentioned trying to find them elsewhere. But she has found some online that can be ordered. The women aren't wearing togas. They're wearing gowns with a roman influence. Her fiancée was the one who suggested togas for the men! Go figure!
  •  Do you think your sister will think togas are cool in 15 years?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • There is one thing in wanting to have your wedding evoke the feeling of Ancient Greece, but there is a whole other thing when you want your wedding party to dress up in togas.  All I can think of is Animal House and the toga party they had.

I understand you love your sister and want to support her decisions but please try and talk her (and her FI) out of this.  

• PDKH said:
    Honestly, unless you go to a costume shop (which you might as well since this will be a costume wedding), you probably wont find anything.

If I was a groomsman in this wedding party, I'd be livid to have to pay to get a custom toga made. Is the entire wedding party ok with this?

FI and I haven't worn togas since college, and even then, we went a bought three yards of fabric and wrapped them up ourselves.
    FI and I both managed to be Greeks and avoid wearing togas all through college.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• LOL!  Well, I was in college during the Animal House years, and I attended a few toga parties.  They were worse than the ones in the movie.  Yeah, this isn't a good idea for a wedding theme.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Actually, I think togas and other simple styles of ancient clothing can look nice on men or women. The men can look dignified if you do it right, not just try to approximate it with bed sheets. 

This is a site I have used to recreate some costumes:

Making Chitons for the bridesmaids is as simple as buying some lengths of pretty fabric and some drapery ties or other rope that matches, plus a few stitches, or pins or broches. 

I recommend using somewhat authentic fabrics if you want it to look nice, like linen over polyester. Modern wedding fabric would be an interesting twist.
     Also, be prepared to wear a slip or something underneath depending on the fabric. Shear fabrics and dresses weren't as unheard of back then as they would be today. 

Anyway it sounds awesome to me but I am someone who throws historically themed parties. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Her friends and his friends are all into geeky stuff and it's a Doctor Who takes place in Ancient Rome wedding. The guests aren't expected to dress in the attire, just the wedding party, who (as far as I know) are all on board with it.

I will let her know to look at some of those guides for make-your-own togas.
    I <3<3 Doctor Who!  My wedding will have a few nods to Doctor Who also but most of them will be hidden where guests who don't know Doctor Who probably won't even notice them.  Part of me wants to beg an invite to this wedding just so I can see it!  haha (J/k...sorta).  I think the Greek-influenced dresses for the girls and the make-it-yourself togas for the guys (since you say they are all on board with it! lol) should be good.  (If it becomes an issue and guys start changing their minds, might want to mention to her that the Doctor and Donna wore modern clothes when they were in Pompeii.  Maybe the guys could dress up as one of the Doctors - or each be a different one!  lol)  Good Luck!
  • Yeah, togas = Animal House for me. 

Not my cup of tea, but I thought I'd post a picture of what it might look like (I couldn't find a 'serious' one)

Anniversary

Not my cup of tea, but I thought I'd post a picture of what it might look like (I couldn't find a 'serious' one)
    Oh my.  Way to make a complete joke out of your wedding.

• PDKH said:
    Honestly, unless you go to a costume shop (which you might as well since this will be a costume wedding), you probably wont find anything.

FI and I both managed to be Greeks and avoid wearing togas all through college.
    Yup, I never once attended a toga party.  Many, many other themed parties but never a toga one.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

HOPEFULLY this was just a funny picture and not the mood of the entire wedding.  I would assume that the rest of the ceremony was probably just as serious as the rest of ours. I love having a couple of candid/joking/funny pictures along with all of the serious ones.  Gives everyone a chance to be goofy without resorting to being so silly during the ceremony - especially if it is a fun/joking kind of couple.

HOPEFULLY this was just a funny picture and not the mood of the entire wedding.  I would assume that the rest of the ceremony was probably just as serious as the rest of ours. I love having a couple of candid/joking/funny pictures along with all of the serious ones.  Gives everyone a chance to be goofy without resorting to being so silly during the ceremony - especially if it is a fun/joking kind of couple.
    I am actually referring to all of the outfits.  The men look absolutely ridiculous.  And if I were a guest I would not be able to take their wedding seriously solely for the fact that the men are wearing cheap costume togas and the groom is wearing knee high gladiator sandals.  The whole thing screams silly to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards