Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Help!

Re: Help!

• Options
    Don't go to the bridal shower.  You're not obligated at all.  
  • Options
    She might have grabbed the wrong VS card for you (ie. grabbed the one she had for years and put it in a card when she meant to grab the new one) or something.  Or maybe she thought it still had $50 on it and thought that you might like to use it.  
    What you give to her for her bridal shower has nothing to do with what she got you when you had your bridal shower.  Gifts are not tit for tat.  
  • Options
    Her gift to you shouldn't relate to what you give. That being said, you clearly don't like her, so don't go.
  • Options
    lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It sounds like you don't want to be friends with her and don't like her at all. I don't get it.
  • Options
    Don't go to the shower. You don't like her. You're only going to the wedding for her FI. Easy.
  • Options
    Ditto pps.

Give the gift you want to give the person.... don't base it on what they gave you.  It might have been an honest mistake on her part.

At the same time, you don't have to go the shower or buy a gift if you don't want to/can't afford to.  It's not required of you.

SaveSave
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2014
    Many gift cards are "blank" until the cashier loads an amount onto them. I can see a salesperson putting $15 on a card instead of $50. They sound the same if someone mumbles. Maybe she bought it for someone else a couple years ago, ended up not going to whatever gathering it was for, and then hung onto it for another gift-giving occasion.

Anyway, since your FI is adamant about going, I would just suck it up, be pleasant, and treat it like any other wedding. Hopefully, you'll have a nice vacation, and then you can just put this all behind you.
  • Options
    Thanks for quoting @doeydo but not sure why the OP DD.

• Options
    laurynm84 said:
    I'm guessing she wanted us to be up in arms with her about the giftcard. 
  • Options
    laurynm84 said:
    No problem.  I had a feeling she might DD because of how skewed her thinking was.
  • Options
    Why can't people be grateful for what they get. It's a little weird it said 50, but only had 15, but whatever, move on. No one has to get you anything. I really can't stand it when people think they are entitled to gifts.

• Options
    Many gift cards are "blank" until the cashier loads an amount onto them. I can see a salesperson putting $15 on a card instead of $50. They sound the same if someone mumbles. Maybe she bought it for someone else a couple years ago, ended up not going to whatever gathering it was for, and then hung onto it for another gift-giving occasion.

Anyway, since your FI is adamant about going, I would just suck it up, be pleasant, and treat it like any other wedding. Hopefully, you'll have a nice vacation, and then you can just put this all behind you.

**Stuck in box: 

This exact situation happened to me while getting gas the other day. 

As for the DW, YOU chose to attend. You can't be mad about the costs now, you could have chosen not to attend just as easily. 
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    If you do not wish to be friends with her, then decline the shower. You don't have to give her a reason, but if she asks you can simply say you already have plans for that day. You don't have to get her a gift. 

As for the wedding, you are also not required to get her a gift. I think it *should* be expected that because you and DH are putting out a large sum of money to attend a DW that gifts are less likely. 
  • Options
    If you feel she's such a shitty friend then stop being friends with her. Your spouse must be close to her FI to want to go to the wedding so go and have a good time. Your post sounded like something from high school so take a step back and just enjoy your life. Skip the shower and move on. Easy peasy.

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• Options

**Stuck in box: 

This exact situation happened to me while getting gas the other day. 

As for the DW, YOU chose to attend. You can't be mad about the costs now, you could have chosen not to attend just as easily. 
    Yup. Every time I buy a gift card and the number is ambiguous like that, I say, "Fifty. Five zero," or, "Forty. Four zero," just to be sure they know.
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    No one is forcing you to spend almost $3k to attend the wedding of someone you don't even like all that much.

No one is obligated to give you a gift.

You are not obligated to attend a bridal shower.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    Both of you sound 12.
  • Options

Another DD? Not even a good one.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards