Wedding Party

MOH or Wedding Planner or both?

I was MOH in my best friend's wedding recently, and she loved planning her wedding so much that she decided to make a career out of it. I just got engaged, and would like for her to be my MOH, though I haven't officially told her yet. However, in the past few weeks since my engagement she has told me multiple times that she is getting started in the wedding planning business and would love for me to use her to help plan my wedding. She has also mentioned that she's looking to beef up her portfolio and is planning to charge a minimal fee until she's had more experience.

I'd love to help her, but I have a hard time understanding where to draw the line. When am I paying her for services, and when is she simply being my MOH? Will she charge me when shopping for bridesmaid dresses or checking out a florist? I went along with her for a few vendors and assisted with decor for her wedding, and I did that because I care about her and being the MOH comes with certain responsibilities. But I'm afraid she now sees her opinions as an asset that she should be paid for (regardless of the fact that she doesn't necessarily have much experience yet). Not to mention that I am having a very small, low-key wedding and would never have otherwise considered hiring a planner. 

The only thing encouraging me to hire her for help is the fact that I will need some assistance with planning, as the wedding is being held in my hometown and I recently moved away. I don't want to be charged for things that I would consider the usual duties of an MOH, but I also don't want to ask too much of her or make her think that I'm taking advantage of her.

Any thoughts?

Re: MOH or Wedding Planner or both?

• I believe it will certainly a joyful experience, I'm a fashion designer and designer best tattooing art and beauty trends.
    Tribal Tattoos
    @KnotPorscha, vendor?

missax said:
    knetzel said:
    I was MOH in my best friend's wedding recently, and she loved planning her wedding so much that she decided to make a career out of it. I just got engaged, and would like for her to be my MOH, though I haven't officially told her yet. However, in the past few weeks since my engagement she has told me multiple times that she is getting started in the wedding planning business and would love for me to use her to help plan my wedding. She has also mentioned that she's looking to beef up her portfolio and is planning to charge a minimal fee until she's had more experience.

I'd love to help her, but I have a hard time understanding where to draw the line. When am I paying her for services, and when is she simply being my MOH? Will she charge me when shopping for bridesmaid dresses or checking out a florist? I went along with her for a few vendors and assisted with decor for her wedding, and I did that because I care about her and being the MOH comes with certain responsibilities. But I'm afraid she now sees her opinions as an asset that she should be paid for (regardless of the fact that she doesn't necessarily have much experience yet). Not to mention that I am having a very small, low-key wedding and would never have otherwise considered hiring a planner. 

The only thing encouraging me to hire her for help is the fact that I will need some assistance with planning, as the wedding is being held in my hometown and I recently moved away. I don't want to be charged for things that I would consider the usual duties of an MOH, but I also don't want to ask too much of her or make her think that I'm taking advantage of her.

Any thoughts?
    First I just want to say that the only MOH "duty" is to purchase the agreed upon dress that is in the agreed upon budget & show up to the wedding.

It sounds like you want her to be your MOH so you should just ask her. If you want to hire her to be your wedding planner then you should sit down with her to discuss expectations and prices.

@missax -- I think if you want to ask her to be your MOH, you should, and if you want to help her beef up her portfolio, that's fine, too. Just sit down with her and have an honest, clear conversation about what you expect from her and what she expects from you. Then I would put IN WRITING what her DOC/wedding planner duties are and what you'll be paying her for -- i.e., 'X number of vendor visits @ $Y per visit' or whatever.

It's going to be a delicate balance, but I think you can strike it.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Totally agree with HisGirlFriday.  You can be friends and have an MOH, but when it comes to business, handle it like a business decision.  Get everything into a contract and then go forward from there, provided that you feel comfortable with her ability to be MOH and wedding planner at the same time.
    The issues that arise on the day of, are typically handled by the planner.  The MOH is usually needed to spend time with the bride, provide emotional support, possibly do hair and make up together.  Our planner had to handle dozens of issues, that we never even know about at the time.  The MOH was spending time with the bride. Can't be in two places at once.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards