Wedding Reception Forum

Wedding Reception - Creative Ideas for Card Holder

Hello!

I've been on the hunt for something super cute and creative for our wedding to hold our envelopes.  As I've scrolled through several pages on etsy, the common themes I've come across are bird cages and stacked boxes.  I'm trying to do something a little unique.  Our colors are black and gold and we have kind of an art deco theme going. 

Thanks for all your help!

Re: Wedding Reception - Creative Ideas for Card Holder

• How secure do you need it to be and what is your budget?

I saw something on Etsy that was a locked box with four picture slots...  I really liked it but it was $75 or so and while it was reusable (graduation parties, first communion, etc.) I couldn't justify the cost.

I went with a small bird cage I found on clearance at Michaels for $7.00.

Honestly, the card box isn't a focal point so find something in your budget that you don't hate and go with it.  No one will remember what it looked like...

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Offbeat Bride may have some suggestions for you. I've seen a mailbox used before as well.

But really, this is one of those things I wouldn't stress about or spend a lot of money on. No one cares about the card holder for longer than the 5 seconds it takes to notice it and drop off the card.
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    The only alternatives I've seen are bird cages, mailboxes, and suitcases. 
  • I bought a TARDIS trash can, (cause I procrastinated and didn't have time to make my own *sadface*) But it's not something you need to stress over if nothing is coming to mind. 

Anniversary
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    My daughter found a black lacquer decorative box for $20 at Home Goods.  She uses it in her bedroom now.

I know someone who spent $100 creating a faux tiered cake to match her wedding colors for a card box.  It was a total waste of money and unusable after the wedding

image.
  • This doesn't go with your theme but we are using a wine crate for ours. It has a beautiful burnt carving in the wood of the winery it came from and it was free from our reception venue because it's just what the wine comes in for them. Pretty much anything that will hold cards can be used. You just might have to think outside the box (pun intended).
  • Pictures in frames
    imageimage
    Wire card holder
    Decorated boxVintage hat boxes to hold cards for Art Deco wedding
    Art Deco Card Box
    See-through card box
    Diamond Stained Glass Wedding Card Box, Wedding Card Holder Box, Reception Decoration, Keepsake Box, Black
    Suitcase
    Wedding Card Box Suitcase / Vintage Style / Program Holder / Art Deco Wedding Suitcase. $60.00, via Etsy.
  • chibiyui said:
    I bought a TARDIS trash can, (cause I procrastinated and didn't have time to make my own *sadface*) But it's not something you need to stress over if nothing is coming to mind. 
    I considered using my TARDIS cookie jar but it makes the sound of the TARDIS every time you open it!  While it might make FI and I giggle at first imagining the Doctor showing up, it would surely get annoying after a while.

I think we are going with a decorated mailbox - not so unique I guess.  Maybe some kind of large shadow box type frame?  I like the black gift box card holder that @doeydo posted too.

• chibiyui said:

I bought a TARDIS trash can, (cause I procrastinated and didn't have time to make my own *sadface*) But it's not something you need to stress over if nothing is coming to mind. 

I considered using my TARDIS cookie jar but it makes the sound of the TARDIS every time you open it!  While it might make FI and I giggle at first imagining the Doctor showing up, it would surely get annoying after a while.

I think we are going with a decorated mailbox - not so unique I guess.  Maybe some kind of large shadow box type frame?  I like the black gift box card holder that @doeydo posted too.

The trashcan does the same thing. We're debating if people will figure out it does thst and dump cards a few at a time or not, or if we should take the batteries out.

Anniversary
  • Wow! Amazing ideas all around.  I love them all, but I think the picture frame idea is excellent!!!
  • My FI is making a treasure chest box. We saw them at the craft stores in the wooden items section and he was determined to DIY.
    image Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • HulaCherry, my colors/theme are the same as yours and I was in the exact same position- wanted something besides the boxes, birdcage, mailbox or suitcase.  I ended up coming across a vintage suitcase I loved at an antique store for a good price, so we're just going to go with that- it's somewhat similar to the photo posted above.  It's actually got a divider in it with 2 pockets, so the cards will be slightly more secure than just dumping them in an open suitcase.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards