Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Ms. now Mrs. name changing service?

Hi knotties,

I have heard of the Ms. now Mrs. name changing assisting website.  I think it's a great idea (for $30!) but I was curious what everyone's experiences were in the name changing process.  Did you use a service, or was it really not that bad to DIY?  

"Lucky" for me, my passport was set to expire one month before the wedding, so I had to renew it with my maiden name, only to have to get a new one after we get hitched!  

Thoughts?  Thanks for the advice!  
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ms. now Mrs. name changing service?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_ms-now-mrs-name-changing-service?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:b15faaa3-6e4c-4dc0-b09e-d09c5ff54a24Post:de5e3e1a-265b-4f37-bb6f-fffbbbc02458">Ms. now Mrs. name changing service?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi knotties, I have heard of the Ms. now Mrs. name changing assisting website.  I think it's a great idea (for $30!) but I was curious what everyone's experiences were in the name changing process.  Did you use a service, or was it really not that bad to DIY?   "Lucky" for me, my passport was set to expire one month before the wedding, so I had to renew it with my maiden name, only to have to get a new one after we get hitched!   Thoughts?  Thanks for the advice!  
    Posted by triciaholden1987[/QUOTE]

<div>You can do a name change on your passport for FREE if it is within one year of issue.  :)  </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I did not pay money for a service, and I really didn't think that it was a big deal to change things myself.  I changed my social security card and my driver's license on the same day.  After I had both of those changed, I went to my bank and changed all of my accounts and my credit and debit card.  Then, I went online and changed my store credit cards and any online accounts I could think of (as I also changed my e-mail address).  Since we manage almost everything online (credit cards, utilities, cable and internet), it was pretty easy to just go into my online accounts and change my name.  Nowhere other than the DMV and my bank really needed to see a marriage license.  Everything else (like Famous Footwear rewards program or my library card), I just changed as I used them.

And April is correct that your passport can be changed for free within one year!
  • YES!!!!  Y'all made my day!  Thank you!  I was concerned about the passport! And email address- genius!  Totally didn't think about that!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Save your money.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_ms-now-mrs-name-changing-service?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:b15faaa3-6e4c-4dc0-b09e-d09c5ff54a24Post:b6c86e6e-3189-4b97-8045-80568a2e1950">Re: Ms. now Mrs. name changing service?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Save your money.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>You got it.  Thanks :)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's a bil ol waste of cash.  They can't save you a lot of the legwork anyways (a proxy can't show up at your social security office or DMV to change your identity).

So at the end of the day, they take a lot of money, do less than half the work, and pat you on your head.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• I don't even understand why such a service exists.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Save your money.

It really wasn't that bad. I would check with your particular state, but I had to first go to SS office, then to the DMV, then I changed other important things like at my job, at the bank, on my credit/debit cards, at my doctor's offices, at my college (was going to Grad school), etc.

Occasionally something would come up with my maiden name that I had forgotten to change, so I would just change the less important things as they came up. Sure it was a PITA sometimes, especially when working and trying to get to certain offices during business hours, but it was totally worth doing it on my own and saving that money.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • I did mine all on my own, it's really not that bad.
  • Here are items you need to think about changing your name on (if you have them):

SS Card
    Driver's License
    Credit Cards
    Bank Accounts
    Passport
    Airline Reward Programs
    Club Memberships (video rental, etc)
    Post Office (leave your old name at the address too, in case mail comes with that name)
    E-mail (if old one has your name)
    Local Utility Companies
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• I received a Ms. now Ms. groupon as a shower present, and I logged in yesterday to see what it would "do" for me. It prepopulates some of the fields on forms, and it gives you a check list. But the bottom line is that you still have to send the forms, wait in line, etc. I think it might save you twenty minutes, but it won't save you much more than that.
  • I tried Miss now Mrs and really wished I hadn't.  Saves no time......in fact, takes more time.  No form they provided was actually what I needed.  I had to look up the addresses for my banks, credit cards, etc. myself.  Then, the form that the website provided was missing something.  It would be way, way faster to just contact your bank directly, find out exactly what they require (since they are all a little different) and go from there.

Save your money, DO NOT BUY Miss Now Mrs!!!!
  • SS and DMV were the biggest pain and I suggest getting there as early as you can as lines seem to get longer and longer as they day goes on!

I did need to show my marriage license for both of those places, my passport (I changed mine for free within the year as PP mentioned), my bank, my paypal account and my student loans.

7 months later and little things are still popping up that I'm like "oh yea"... but I did go 27 years with my maiden name so it will take a little while to change it all over!!!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards