Offbeat Weddings
Options

Wedding Day Schedule includes Nap Time!

My wedding day is gonna be pretty different. The ceremony is a small, family only affair (about 40 ppl) at a national state park on a deck overlooking a canyon - at 10am. No wedding party - the only the ring barrer, which is our dog. Then we'll have time for a few pictures. And around noon, meeting up with some addtional friends to hand out sack lunches (and clean socks & an emergency blanket) to the homeless in our city (we wanted our first act of marriage to be in service of others).

We should be done around 3pm - then its NAP TIME!!! and yes - we will actually be napping! My FI can fall asleep quicker than anyone i've ever met, and takes naps almost daily. On a super long day as this, we'll need a nap!  I'm doing my own hair & makeup so touch-ups won't be an issue.

Doors open to our bigger reception at 5pm with dinner at 6pm. We have invited about 150 to the party - and that includes about 50 kids!! We have two seperate rooms for the kids - one where they can chill and watch a movie and the other will have crafts and games and their own buffet. No seating chart, no first dance, no garter toss, no alcohol. Just a bunch of friends & family hanging out and celebrating with us!

I just hope everyone else will enjoy our offbeat wedding!

What are you doing that makes your wedding offbeat? Are you worried about what others might say/think?

Re: Wedding Day Schedule includes Nap Time!

• Options
    How are you hosting your gap?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Well - we are telling the friends who will be helping us with the socks & sandwiches to come casual (jeans and such) and so the gap between the end of the service project & the reception allows for them to get dressed - and take their own nap if they wish.

As for the family who will be at the ceremony - only my brothers & their families are from out of state, so i hope they use that time to explore the state park the ceremony is in - to enjoy a bit of Colorado. And because of younger nieces & nephews we will also encourage the other family to nap as well :) We all want to be rested for the party!

• Options
    I know you mean well but take this into consideration: If you were traveling OOT or spending money on a gift or going out of your way to attend a wedding, would you like it if you never saw the bride or groom because they wanted to take a nap? I think the charity idea is cool, but could you hand out sack dinners after the reception to omit the gap? I think your FI can go one day without a nap. The ceremony is about you two, but the reception is to thank your guests and to celebrate your marriage with them. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    vsgal said:
    This sounds like a hot mess of a day. 

You are having a tiered wedding, which is very rude.  You expect people to spend the whole day with you. Rude.  You are taking a nap while you have guests in for your wedding. Rude.  You expect people to help with your charity work.  Rude.  You are not hosting everyone to your all-day spectacle. Rude.  You expect people to nap in order to justify your own needs.  Rude.

You either get married in the morning and have a brunch reception immediately afterward and then do your service project on your own or you do the service project in the morning and have the ceremony and reception in the afternoon.  You invite everyone to the ceremony and reception.  You feed everyone.  You cut out the nap.  Sleep on your own time, not your guests.  What you are going is a logistical nightmare for guests. 

FYI, there is a difference between being offbeat and being rude.  Your plan is definitely the latter.
    ^^This x100
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I kind of sounds like your wedding focuses on the comfort of the less fortunate more than the comfort of those near and dear to you.

Nice in theory, not so good in practice.
  • Options
    chibiyuichibiyui member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014

So, I think your heart is in the right place, but your execution is off.

I'm not bothered by the 10 people only ceremony/150 people reception. Its enough of a difference I wouldn't feel slighted. Its the logistics of your service. Do you often volunteer/help with the homeless? You mentioned having to do reconniasance to see where they are.....I think you'd do more good donating your time to a local shelter/soup kitchen, people who already are invloved with the community and know how to handle them.

ETA: I just re read and saw it was 40 people ceremony...... thats a bit more tricky.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I agree that looking into a food bank or soup kitchen may be a better plan. Some cities have laws against panhandling, and you could get your group in trouble by handing things out en masse. Plus, there's all the food and safety laws and all that. Plus it's just kind of awkward to walk up to people and be like "here's a blanket". What will you do it one of your people gets harassed or hurt?

Just a better idea than it is a realistic plan imo. But maybe take the idea and think of other things that you could do? You could even do a volunteering honeymoon, where you help rehabilitate animal sanctuaries or volunteer in soup kitchens. Encouraging your friends and family to help is great, but as with any volunteer duty, make it easy for them to say no.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards