Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

What about the guys? (mainly the ushers)

My groom is going to wear a tux with a white vest (to match me) and traditional (not bow) tie. His best man and groomsmen will also be in tuxes, but they will have a claret (red) vest and/or tie to match the bridesmaids.

But we are stumped when it comes to the ushers. My FI thinks they should also be in tuxes, and match the groomsmen. He says we don't want them to stand out/look different in the pictures. I feel like if they match exactly, then it will just look like we had more groomsmen than bridesmaids. He also thinks people won't know they're in the wedding party if they're not also in tuxes. I think the boutonnieres, standing at the entrance, and matching vests/ties will give it away ;).

What do you think? Tuxes or suits for the ushers if groomsmen and groom are in tuxes. Also, three of the ushers are our nephews, ages 11-13 if that matters. Their vest/tie will match the greeters (junior bridesmaids) in guava/melon.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What about the guys? (mainly the ushers)

• Options
    We our having our ushers match the groomsmen, but its not necessary. You could just have them where nice slacks and a button up shirt with a tie that matches the groomsmen.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    The ushers are not technically part of your wedding party.  Suits would be appropriate.  The same rules apply for the FOB and FOG.  They should not wear bouts unless they are wearing either a sports jacket or a suit coat.
    Children should never wear tuxedos.  That is not correct attire for children.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    My FI was an usher in ny sisters wedding along with the boyfriends of two other BP members. My sister just requested for them to wear a black or dark colored suit. She got a boutinierre for each guy to wear. A tux rental seems a little over the top to me honestly. I agree that a boutinierre will help them stand out as ushers....especially since they'll be standing at the front offering to help people to their seats. They don't even need matching vests or ties in my opinion.

• Options
    You can ask the ushers to wear sports jacket withiout tie and groomsmen wear shirt with tie to distinguish them.
  • Options
    The ushers can wear a suit or pretty much anything they already own and would typically wear to a wedding. They aren't in the wedding party. You could also PUT them in the wedding party as groomsmen. You don't need even sides.
  • Options
    What should children wear then? Ringbearer (5 yrs old), "Junior" ushers (13, 11, 10 years old)? Honest question here. I have no idea.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with you all that ushers should be in suits, but it's my FI that needs convincing. He insists that the ushers are part of the wedding party. His sister had her ushers in tuxes, and so did his best friend. His brother-in-law told him that he would want them to match the groomsmen for pictures, so he has that in his head. Seems over-the-top to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2014
    kimi0119 said:
    I agree with you all that ushers should be in suits, but it's my FI that needs convincing. He insists that the ushers are part of the wedding party. His sister had her ushers in tuxes, and so did his best friend. His brother-in-law told him that he would want them to match the groomsmen for pictures, so he has that in his head. Seems over-the-top to me.

Kids should generally should wear little kid style suits, not a tuxedo, although, I do think it's a victimless crime if a child wears a tuxedo.

But, ushers are NOT in the wedding party.  It will look ridiculous to have them in a tux and matching the people standing up next to the groom, but having them take a place in the seats with the other guests.  Have them wear a suit.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards