Just Engaged and Proposals

New ring setting?

Hey ladies, I need some advice about getting a new setting for my e-ring. We got engaged in February after almost 7 years and I had chosen the setting I wanted in 2012 - we went together to try rings on. My ring is perfect for me and I love it. I have small hands and thus a thin band. Since February I have had to take my ring in twice. Once last month because I lost a small accent diamond chip. Then this past Tuesday I broke a prong and almost lost another accent chip. I work with my hands a lot as I'm in the environmental field and have been wearing a ring cozy (neoprene band) over it during any field work. Meaning, I broke the prong in my day-to-day activities. My jeweler (who is great) suggested a stronger setting with double prongs and a thicker band or a plain band altogether. I am supposed to pick up my ring tomorrow and am trying to figure out what to do. My fiancé (sorry I'm still not up on the lingo) says he understands if I choose a new setting, but would be a little sad. What to do? The pic above the keyboard is my current ring and the other is the possible alternate setting. They are VERY similar, but still not the same! I want to be able to wear my ring and not have to leave it at home! Thanks in advance!

Re: New ring setting?

• Can you change it to a channel setting?  It wouldn't be as much of a difference.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • You referenced a picture,I can't see any pictures in your post.  Also, I have heard that a channel setting is better for people who work with their hands.  It doesn't let the stones sparkle as much, IMO, but it will keep them safer.
  • Sorry I used my iPad and it shows the pictures as being in the post, but not when I'm logged into my desktop computer.  Both are pave style, but one has a thicker band and larger side stones.  Thanks for the input.
  • @doeydo - here are the pics.
  • When H gave me my ring (cushion cut diamond with diamond band) it had a four prong thin metal setting. I only had it for about a month or so when I stuck my hand in my pocket only to pull it out to see that my diamond was not there. Apparently with a cushion cut you need either a double prong setting to keep it in place or what I have which are tiny corner looking prongs so that the diamond is supported on either side of the rounded corners of the diamond. With the change it made the ring appear "heavier" because of the extra metal but I would take that over possibly losing my diamond any day. Anyways, with all that said, I didn't have to change my band, only the prong setting. Is there anyway you could just change out the prong setting and not the whole band?

• cnouricnouri member
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2014
    Thanks @maggie0829 - I think we may have opposite problems.  I haven't had an issue with the center stone, it's been an issue with the tiny .01 carat stones on either side.  I was told that my jeweler could make me the exact same setting without the side stones or I could have a thicker band to protect those stones better.  Do you have a pic of your ring?
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    @cnouri -sorry I misread.  So your smaller chips in your band are falling out?  I have really thin bands and have never had an issue with my smaller stones.  Here is a picture.

ETA: Please excuse my stubby fingers LOL!

• @maggie0829 yeah the small ones are falling out! I asked the jeweler if this was a common problem and they said no. Maybe I'm particularly hard on my ring. Your fingers are fine, btw ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards