Wedding Woes
Options

I need some new summer recipes

Anyone have anything new to share?  Especially something simple. I'm bored with my standard stuff.

Re: I need some new summer recipes

• Options
    I'm not sure how you define 'summer' exactly, but I tried made up a new recipe last night:

Pre-heat oven to 375*. Put 2-3 chicken breasts in Dutch oven or casserole dish.

In a separate bowl, mix together: one can of diced, seasoned tomatoes, one large chopped onion, 3T flour, spices to taste, and 1 cup red wine (I used merlot because that's what I had that had gone wonky).

Pour flour/wine/spice/tomato mix over the chicken breasts and bake for 1 hour or until cooked through. Remove from oven, garnish with shredded cheese, serve with pasta.

You could add other vegetables (peppers, artichoke hearts, etc.) if you wanted. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2014
    I've done this a few times, and it's turned out well. 

Cook pasta per packaged instructions (al dente) 

Heat EVOO in sauce pan

Add grape tomatoes (1-2 pints)

Salt and pepper to taste

Add minced garlic to taste (I used about 1-2 tbsp)

Lower heat to medium

When tomatoes start to expand/soften, use knife to pierce tomatoes (~5 minutes)

Smash tomatoes to release juice

Mix in additional fresh veggies of choice ( shallots, red pepper, zucchini/yellow squash, mushrooms, onions, peas, etc.)

Mix in fresh basil (i used ~ ¼ cup of lightly chopped leaves)

Let cook until veggies start to soften (3-5 minutes)

Add kale or spinach

Add lemon juice (I used 1 lemon) and zest (if desired)

Add goat cheese (I used 6oz - you might want to use more if you're going for more than 5 portions)

Add pasta and continue to mix. Mix well so goat cheese melts into a sauce

You can add a little pasta water to thin the sauce, if desired, and correct seasoning.

Eat as an entrée or serve with grilled chicken/fish/etc. if desired. 

• Options
    I need to blog it, but I have this mango salad made with pearl couscous that is amazing with anything grilled. When I am home I can dig the recipe up.

Last week we grilled with a rub I made up and I shoved thick sliced lemons under the skin, that was so good. I have made basting sauces before, but was feeling lazy and the slices did the work for me.

Oh, and on the chew they did this grilled tri tip with a side of grilled green beans and red onions, topped with goat cheese and a balsamic dressing that we seriously ate once a month last summer.
  • Options
    the "recipe" in my post is rough - i used the same basic formula but adjusted the veggies based on what I had on hand - i tried to write it up after a few coworkers asked about my lunch last week. 
  • Options
    do you ever make pesto? That's one of my favorites for summer - it's good on everything, fast, and minimal cooking required. I always have basil in my garden for this purpose. 
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment

I guess I think of summer as something to take to/serve at a cook out.  Something lighter that doesn't require much oven or might use fresh veggies though.

@jojoborn- Mango salad with couscous sounds awesome. I'm always looking for new salads. 

@*Barbie* We do a little pesto when the basil is out of control, but it's not my favorite flavor. That pasta sounds like a better version of something I used to do in college.  I'm up to making things in portions for 6 so the kids also have leftovers. 

• Options
    I like simple pasta salad to take to cookouts.  I use the corkscrew pasta and add fresh green and red peppers, chopped onion, cucumber, grape tomatoes and then zesty italian dressings.  Its always a hit.  I also love grape salad, made with green and purple grapes mixed with sour cream, cream cheese, sugar(white in it and then brown on top) and nuts.
  • Options
    Ina Garten's Panzanella Salad. My favorite.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    i don't know that this is "spring" but it's healthy, one pot, takes ~40 min or less, and almost vegetarian (there's bacon, delightful bacon) - I upped the spices and increased the veggies over the noted amounts, but it was good, and everyone liked it enough that I've made it several times.  

• Options
    My favorite lunch in the summer:
    In small egg pan: break 1-2 eggs, poke holes in yoke and put a slice of Tillamook cheese on top of egg. Put lid over egg pan and heat on medium. Toast two pieces of bread.  Cook egg until done and when toast is done slather in bbq sauce (or mayo on one piece and bbq on the other). Put eggs between toast and eat like a sandwich. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards