May 2014 Weddings
Options

Wedding Rings

Did any of you girls have your engagement ring and wedding ring soldered together? The jewelry store called me yesterday and told me that my wedding bands came in and I have to go pick them up, but I left my engagement ring with them so they could go ahead and solder them. Now I'm kind of mad at myself because I won't be able to wear my ring for the next month. If you are going to have it done are you waiting until after the wedding so you can keep wearing your engagement ring?

Re: Wedding Rings

• Options
    I have 2 wedding bands. I will have one soldered to my engagement ring and leave one to be able to just wear a band if I need. My best friend did the same thing and I am coping her. 

I will take my engagement ring and 1 band to be soldered probably the week prior to the wedding and just wear a band till the wedding. 

Maybe go to Kohls or a department store and by one of those fake rings and wear that? 
  • Options
    I have 2 wedding bands. I will have one soldered to my engagement ring and leave one to be able to just wear a band if I need. My best friend did the same thing and I am coping her. 

I will take my engagement ring and 1 band to be soldered probably the week prior to the wedding and just wear a band till the wedding. 

Maybe go to Kohls or a department store and by one of those fake rings and wear that? 
    I thought about maybe going to get something, but it's really more the sentimental issue of not having it on :) I don't know what I was thinking leaving it with them this early, but I was already having a meltdown about the wedding band so I wasn't thinking clearly. LOL
  • Options
    I understand :) Hopefully you figure out something to do!! Good Luck with the upcoming wedding 
  • Options
    I was going to solder mine together but decided to keep them separate.  I guess my thought was about passing them down to my kids andbeing able to give one half to a kid. And the other to another
  • Options
    I almost considered keeping mine separate especially because I have two wedding bands. I just thought it would bother me to have them moving around all the time. 
  • Options
    After the wedding (and honeymoon) I'm going to decide whether or not to have them soldered together. Too many decisions to make right now anyway! I like msdidonato's idea of buying a ring to wear while you're waiting if your hand feels bare. There are soo many inexpensive cubic zirconia and sterling silver (gold plated too) that are so pretty! I know it doesn't hold the same sentimental value as YOUR ring, but just think .. now there's another piece of jewelry that can gain sentimental value. :) Plus if you have/plan on having kids it's something special and sentimental your future daughter could wear to her prom without you having a panic attack because you've sent her off with jewelry worth hundreds or thousands of dollars. :) Good luck!!
  • Options
    My band and ring both have a similar curved shaped so I'm definitely getting them soldered. A good friend told me it only took a day to get hers done so I'm having FI take them in a week before the wedding. I debating waiting until after the honeymoon but I don't think I'll want to take them off then! 
  • Options
    vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I do not plan on having mine soldered.  I prefer to have the option of wearing my band on it's own.
  • Options

Just an FYI: If you get your rings soldered, they will be considered ONE item for insurance purposes.  So if your e-ring is insured under your general insurance policy, with a replacement value of "$X per item" and then you lose your soldered ring set, you will only be reimbursed as if ONE item was lost, rather than two.  Not all insurance policies work this way, but some do, so I'd advise looking into it.

If your e-ring is on its own policy, i'd advise amending that policy to include the value of your wedding band once they are soldered together, as obviously it would be almost impossible to lose only ONE of them at that point.

I decided to not solder mine...the e-ring kind of annoys me when i'm working out and I'd like to be able to wear just the band for that kind of activity.  FSIL also told me that when she had her son she started only wearing her band a lot of the time because she was scared of her e-ring scratching him.  I may get those little anchors put in the band of my e-ring though to get it to stop flopping around so much (it's a solitaire, and it does that a lot right now...but it may fit differently once and band is on there as well so i'm waiting to figure out if i need to do that or not).

• Options
    delujm0 said:

Just an FYI: If you get your rings soldered, they will be considered ONE item for insurance purposes.  So if your e-ring is insured under your general insurance policy, with a replacement value of "$X per item" and then you lose your soldered ring set, you will only be reimbursed as if ONE item was lost, rather than two.  Not all insurance policies work this way, but some do, so I'd advise looking into it.

If your e-ring is on its own policy, i'd advise amending that policy to include the value of your wedding band once they are soldered together, as obviously it would be almost impossible to lose only ONE of them at that point.

I decided to not solder mine...the e-ring kind of annoys me when i'm working out and I'd like to be able to wear just the band for that kind of activity.  FSIL also told me that when she had her son she started only wearing her band a lot of the time because she was scared of her e-ring scratching him.  I may get those little anchors put in the band of my e-ring though to get it to stop flopping around so much (it's a solitaire, and it does that a lot right now...but it may fit differently once and band is on there as well so i'm waiting to figure out if i need to do that or not).

Yeah I have a separate policy for my e-ring and the jewelry store is going to give me a new appraisal once they solder the rings together so I can adjust the policy. Hopefully I won't ever have to use the insurance though :)

I've heard a lot of people say they like to wear their band by itself a lot, but I think I would wear my e-ring with it more than without and it would bother me to have them sliding all around :)

I don't plan on having any children so being able to pass them down or scratching babies or any of that stuff isn't really an issue. We haven't been able to make it to the jewelers to pick up our rings yet and it's driving me crazy!!! They've had them for like a week and I really want to see them. LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards