Honeymoon Discussions
Options

CHARLESTON OR SAVANNAH?

We originally were going to do an all-inclusive in Jamaica but as we both just started new jobs-- and I have a huge project due just 3 weeks after our wedding, we decided to do a big "to do" for our 1 year and keep our honeymoon within driving distance and a bit shorter.  We are thinking about 4 nights/5 days in either Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA. 

Which would you choose and why?!?  Also please include "must do's" if you could :)  We will be there end of May so I already know the weather should be great.  Neither of us have ever been to either place. 

Thanks so much!!!

Re: CHARLESTON OR SAVANNAH?

• Options
    I haven't been to Savannah so I can't comment on that. I've been to Charleston a couple of times and it's absolutely charming. Great food and cool things to do (aquarium, fort tour). It's close enough for a day trip to myrtle beach if you like car trips.

I've only ever heard great things about Savannah so I think you'll enjoy either choice.
  • Options
    Savannah!

I've never been to Charleston but two years ago my fiancé and I went to Hilton Head, SC and it rained one day so we drove down to Savannah and fell in love! Then one of the waitresses told us about Tybee Island and last year we decided to go there for a vacation!!

I can only say wonderful things about Savannah and Tybee Island (about 25 minutes from downtown Savannah). We were there for a week and it was not nearly enough time. Tybee is so laid back (it's only 3 miles long I think) and everyone is so friendly! There is so much to do if you want to be active and the beach is nice for just relaxing. Also...they have the same drinking laws as NOLA and Vegas..you can drink on the street!

Savannah is on a river and it is absolutely gorgeous. There are so many dining options and a really old (very popular) ice cream shop with lots of movie memorabilia. (You have to try the honey almond ice cream!) I am rambling but I cannot say enough good things about Savannah (and Tybee). My fiancé and I would move there in an ideal world. Let me know if you have any questions!
  • Options
    I've been to both cities a bunch of times and can say you can't make a bad choice between them :) Personally, I fell in love with Savannah because it's more underrated than Charleston, and came with more surprises because of it. Charleston is definitely a more popular tourist location- but that comes with higher cost and MUCH more traffic because of it, too. I obviously don't know you or what you want your getaway to be like, but the no-open-container law in Savannah certainly doesn't hurt! You will be happy with either, but Savannah definitely is my favorite, personally!
  • Options
    I've never been to Charleston but I fell in love with Savannah! It's a charming town and everyone is so friendly and laid back. The culture there is so different than the Midwest where I'm from. I really enjoyed Tybee Island, it's a short drive from the city. 
  • Options
    Jtsma10Jtsma10 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2014
    We are planning our Honeymoon to Savannah for March of 2015. We went to Savannah last March and fell in love with it. I also had the same question about Charleston, should we switch it up? A travel agent friend told me that Charleston is just like Savannah except everything is in walking distance. In Savannah you have to drive to River Street then drive to Downtown. Me personally, it's not that big of a deal. I love the jazz and folk music down on River St. You can hear musicians play while having dinner and watching the boats come in on the water is what we loved. Can't beat that! And I agree with the open container law, it makes the trip even better.
  • Options
    Savannah it has so much history and its such a lovely and romantic place to be! Overall its up to what yall like and have in mind for your honeymoon (:
  • Options
    If you go to Charleston you have to check out the angel oak tree
    ---
    tabbicakes 

133 image     74 image     59   image   
    RSVP Date: September 20

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I love both Savannah and Charleston. I find Savannah to be quieter, and you may encountered a lot more tourists in Charleston with graduations from the Citadel and College of Charleston. If you can swing it and would be willing to drive the 4 hours, I would try to do both.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    As a Charleston bride (lived there since I was 10, now I live in LA and will be back in May for planning and November for the wedding), I have to tell you: go to Charleston, hands down. Savannah is an imitation of Charleston and you will be easily bored. I've been to Savannah a couple of times with out-of-towners and they are always unimpressed, as am I. Charleston on the other hand has soo many options! Beaches are nearby, over 100 fine dining restaurants, and the arts fair, Spoleto, might even be going on while you're there. There are a handful of B&Bs too near the Battery, which are romantic and lovely. Also, the French Quarter Inn is beautiful and highly recommended and right on Market St. You truly can't go wrong with Charleston. There's so much history and you will discover so many wonderful things about the city if you go. If you have any questions, message me. I'm sorry to disagree so strongly, but I can't help it. I'm researching my honeymoon, too (in the Caribbean), and just want you to have the best advice!
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    @HisGirlFriday13,  I know you just returned from both these places.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    If you add on an extra night/day, you could reasonably go to Charleston first, spend three nights there, and then drive to Savannah for the final two nights. They are often combined like that, and on the drive you can stop at Beaufort, a very nice little town.

If you only want to pick one, I'd suggest Charleston because I feel like there's a bit more to do, but both would be great for a honeymoon in May!
  • Options
    DH and I actually just got back from our honeymoon, and we went to Charleston, Jekyll Island, and Savannah!

I would pick Savannah -- there's more to do, and overall, I like the city better. Charleston was lovely, and I enjoyed seeing the Battery, but DH and I both agreed we wouldn't go back any time soon. Savannah, on the other hand, we went to last year, and this year, and are already planning a trip for next year. 

We drove, and the drive from Charleston to Savannah wasn't bad at all. 

I respectfully disagree with a PP who says Savannah is a poor imitation of Charleston. I think it's the other way 'round. The food, nightlife, restaurants, shops, etc. are all better (IMHO) in Savannah than in Charleston.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    We are going to Charleston, Hilton Head Island and Savannah this July for our honeymoon. We are flying to Charleston and renting a car to drive to Hilton Head. We are staying at a family member's condo and we will take a day trip to Savannah. To end our trip we are going to drive back up to Charleston (about a 2 hour drive) and stay at a small bed and breakfast we found for the second half of our trip. The bed and breakfast is amazing (from the pictures) and we will even get old fashioned keys to our room and the house itself. I have never been to Charleston or Savannah, but we decided it would be worth it to see both.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards