Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Plus Sized, Self-conscious bride?

So, I'm helping my friend with her wedding. One of the biggest hurdles we're going to be dealing with when helping this particular woman is that she's short, and plus sized. She MIGHT be 5'4'', and says that she wears a size 18(US). I know most brides who are larger tend to get self-conscious, but this girl is explosive and prone to temper tantrums if she can't find things that fit her. We live in Kentucky (which makes pickings slim to begin with). Does anyone know a kind of boutique or store that might carry more than just one or two plus size dresses to try on? She's gone to places before that have a few, but we're not looking for a place that has 1000 size six dresses and 2 size 18, you know? I'm trying really hard to help her, but I might be a little over my head with this.

Re: Plus Sized, Self-conscious bride?

• Options
    So, I'm helping my friend with her wedding. One of the biggest hurdles we're going to be dealing with when helping this particular woman is that she's short, and plus sized. She MIGHT be 5'4'', and says that she wears a size 18(US). I know most brides who are larger tend to get self-conscious, but this girl is explosive and prone to temper tantrums if she can't find things that fit her. We live in Kentucky (which makes pickings slim to begin with). Does anyone know a kind of boutique or store that might carry more than just one or two plus size dresses to try on? She's gone to places before that have a few, but we're not looking for a place that has 1000 size six dresses and 2 size 18, you know? I'm trying really hard to help her, but I might be a little over my head with this.

Cruise the plus size board and look at the gowns in the "Show us your dress" thread at the top of the page. That will give you/her some ideas on dresses. I don't know what's near you, but Davids Bridal usually has a good plus size selection.  You can also look for an Alfred Angelo store.  If you go to an actual AA store, and not just a store that carries AA, they will often have a good selection.

You might want to consider taking a road trip to another larger city if you are somewhat isolated.   You can get a cheapo motel 6 somewhere and make it a girls' weekend (if you are up for that). 

No matter what, have her call salons ahead of time and specifically ask "how many plus size samples do you have in the store).  If they have less than 8-10, I'd skip that store and move on.

For what it's worth though, if she is an 18 street size  she will likely fit into 12s-14 samples (as long as they aren't mermaids) and they will just clip the back of the dress. 

Look for stores that carry the AA plus size line and the Mori Lee "Julietta" line. Those are both budget friendly (typically) plus size designs. 

• Options
    David's Bridals carry plus size dress in stock so she can get a true vision of how a dress looks on her. Of course the length will have to be shorten, but I can understand the frustration of the idea of going dress shopping as a larger size (I wear 20/22) and trying on a dress that is a size 12 and trying imagine how it will look on me in the right size. I enjoyed going to David's Bridal and being able to try on dresses that were the right size and having lots of options too.
  • Options
    I would call around and just try to find places that carry plus sized gowns.  I know I didn't feel 'special' enough in any David Bridal gowns because I started looking and comparing myself to the 100's of other girls who got the gowns I was interested in.

Mori Lee - Julietta
    Allure Bridal
    Alfred Angelo
    Bonny Bridal - Unforgettable line

Anniversary
  • Options
    I second Googling and calling around to find a place that caters to plus size brides. I did this and had a wonderful experience and a great time shopping. In the DC area there are a few shops that have either only plus sizes or a large plus-size selection. So, those shops are out there. Hopefully, she will have the same experience. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    I would ask for recommendations on your local board. I'm sure there are other plus sized brides in your area. If not, I second the suggestion to take a trip someplace where you can find stores with a good plus sized selection.

I'm going to disagree with QF that your friend can try on 12-14s. She may be able to get into them, but they won't look right at all. I'm a street size 18-20 and the few size 16 samples I tried looked awful. I felt best in samples 20-24.
  • Options
    I'm just going to speak up to say that at David's Bridal, a girl that wears a 18 street clothes is going to get more than a little pissy if someone brings her a 12 or 14 to try on. I'm a 10 in street clothes, and I had to buy a size 14 dress- and no, it's not a mermaid style. Let's not forget, those suckers don't stretch like normal clothes do. I think I probably have the same personality as OP's friend (and I'm also a short girl), and I had to leave the store the first time I tried on dresses b/c I was so upset over the size disparity. I doubt trying on a dress three sizes too small and having it "clipped" would have made me love it enough to buy it. 

I'm all for calling ahead and possibly making the trip a weekend excursion together. You sound like you'll be a good support system for her. :) Good luck to you and your friend! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Let me clarify.  Getting into a 12/14 bridal size is not fun and it would be best if they had samples that were her size. But if it's an a-line or ball gown, the bride will still fit in it.    I'm a street size 14/16.  The dress I actually bought was a 20. But, I tried on samples that were everywhere between a size 10 (that was a joke, but I still got it on) upwards of a size 24 and everywhere in between.

Dropped waists and mermaids aren't gonna work if they aren't in your size. It also depends on your overall attitude.  I had a general idea of what I wanted and could still easily get an idea of how things were going to look on me in the right size. 

Again though, I would NOT go to any salon that didn't have a decent selection of plus size samples.   Not only because it feels better to try on dresses that fit, but on pure principle.

• Options
    hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2014
    i am a plus size bride and you want to make sure they have at least 10 samples if not more she can try on.  she is a street size 18 and can be up to 2 sizes larger in bridal depending on the style so you want to make sure they have 20s and 22s for her to try on as well.  i am a street 22 and was able to get into a few 18s but i could not tell how it would look

i did a google search and this is what came up

belle bridal boutique curvy couture sizes 0-32 with a large selection of plus size
    but they are located in ohio
    320 W. Benson Street
    Reading, OH
    Phone: 513-429-3779

wedding wonderland
    west tiverton way
    lexington ky
    859-278-6082
    they carry plus and they have some photos online from the bony unforgettable collection

usa bridal/bridal wearhouse
    they have plus sizes
    ocated in
    louisville ky and
    Elizabethtown ky
    they also have a location in nashville tn and indiana they carry allure women, bonny unforgetable, and morie lee juletta those are all plus size lines

http://www.thebridalsuiteoflouisville.com/viewgowns.html
    they might have plus size because some of the photos of real brides some were curvy but i would check out the website and call them

rebecas wedding boutique also in louisville
    in the faqs she says they have gowns in sizes 8-28 but i would call to make sure they have a good amount

i live in the new england area and we have lots of plus size stores but seeing as you are in kentucky that would be a really long way to travel

like QF said look at the largest city outside kentucky that has plus size bridal and take a road trip
  • Options
    Thank you for all the answers, everyone! Sorry I haven't responded lately. My friend has unfortunately pushed back her wedding indefinitely AND I've begun planning for my own, so I kind of forgot about the internet a little bit. Lol. I really do appreciate your answers, though. In good news, though, my friend found a dress! She has it waiting for her in her closet right now and she was so happy when she found it. To all the people who said "David's Bridal!" YOU WERE RIGHT! We should them the kind of theme that she wanted, and right away the consultant found the perfect one for her.

Thank you all for your answers. You'll probably be seeing me a little more asking questions for my own wedding! <3
  • Options
    @heathermd02 good luck with your friend and your own planning. did you see any dresses at davids bridal for yourself?

any other designers that caught your eye
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards